Distrowatch review grumbles

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Captain Brillo

Re: Distrowatch reveiw grumbles

#221 Post by Captain Brillo »

Please.
Too popular is a major bummer in Linux.
So nobody tell anybody else anymore, OK?
Let's keep it a secret so we can keep getting quick-and-easy help.
(snork, snork...ha ha ha)
GAFA-free zone

BitJam
Developer

#222 Post by BitJam »

Stevo wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:34 pm AntiX is up near the top of the ratings, too: https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=ranking
Interesting ... Also 6 of the top 8 don't use systemd by default:

Code: Select all

Distro      systemd
------      -------
Slackware     no
Arch          yes
Gentoo        no/yes
MX            no/yes
Ubuntu        yes
antiX         no
Void          no
Devuan        no
Gentoo and MX support systemd but it is not the default.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

skidoo

#223 Post by skidoo »

6 of the top 8
or, depending how ya slice it
6 of the top 10
6 of the top 15
7 of the top 28 displayed on that page, but who's counting?

It was interesting for me to sort by NUMBER of user reviews, disregard the rating value, and notice which distros have elicited the greatest number of reviews.

Gerson

#224 Post by Gerson »

The numbers do not lie. I think that in two months or before we will be number ONE in EVERYTHING.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No todos ignoramos las mismas cosas. :confused:

cyrilus31

#225 Post by cyrilus31 »

Gerson wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:52 am The numbers do not lie. I think that in two months or before we will be number ONE in EVERYTHING.
Amigo I love your enthusiasm, but I'm not sure that's what MX/antiX devs dream of every night :p

Should be an interesting topic about devs (not sure it has been done before) : who are you and why did you embark on such a journey :popcorn:

Stevo
Developer

#226 Post by Stevo »

I see our review trolls have struck again:
Version: 18.1
Rating: 1
Date: 2019-03-08
Votes: 4

Garbage distro that runs obsolete software only. Do not recommend.
Hey, at least don't make up stuff in the reviews, OK, fanbois? MX isn't 100% perfect, we acknowledge that, and you could attack us on those points. And why don't you put that effort into helping your own favorite distro get better instead of trying to tear down another? Oh, right, you don't have any talent.

sunrat

#227 Post by sunrat »

I downvoted that review. Only has 2 votes now.

figueroa

#228 Post by figueroa »

From the Distrowatch FAQ, 'When possible, be specific. "This distro is garbage" is not helpful.' Voting on Distrowatch is weird. If you vote on a review, then you are locked out from voting on any other.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

aledie

#229 Post by aledie »

Stevo wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:19 pm I see our review trolls have struck again:
It is the same troll as below (and he seems to appear every 1-2 weeks or so, to always be in the view of the last 3-4 reviews which can be seen without clicking "show all reviews"

Version: 18
Rating: 2
Date: 2019-02-09
Votes: 6

Judging by use of "Do not recommend" in both posts (I mean different guys would use 'I'd not' or "I don't" or "I won't"...)
MX-18 (x64): HP 8460p, i5-2540M, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, HD3000

Gerson

#230 Post by Gerson »

It reminded me of a professor in the faculty who always encouraged me to research with this phrase:
"Only the tree that bears fruit throws stones at it."
If MX was not so good, they would not consider it to criticize it.
No todos ignoramos las mismas cosas. :confused:

Return to “General”