Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

Distrowatch review grumbles

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: Distrowatch reveiw grumbles

#11 Post by dolphin_oracle »

last I checked debian doesn't have an nvidia installer tool.

however, following the debian wiki should get you the same result as pure debian.

our nvidia-installer did receive updates after release, because the depends information for the nvidia-driver package changed in debian's repos. So make sure to do your updates before running the installer.

debian wiki procedures are followed by the installer, although I think we still make a xorg.conf file for some users that reported problems without it. You can't win sometimes.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Redacted

#12 Post by Redacted »

richb wrote:Suspend and hibernate work perfectly for me with 17 and 17.1.
Same here. I have Mx 17.1 on an old imac, and it works perfectly.
Yesterday, I removed Mint from a new computer (where resume didn't work too well) and installed Mx. Suspend/resume work perfectly.
Two very different machines, and yet it works.

cyrilus31

#13 Post by cyrilus31 »

richb wrote:And I would add, MX is not Debian with window dressing. It is based on Debian as it uses the Debian repositories. It has its own unique set of features and makes no claim to be a Debian clone. If I wanted Debian I would have installed Debian.
That perfectly sums up the difference between MX and many "pretty useless" distros, adding a new set of wallpapers here, a tool for one person there. A french youtuber call the latest DGLFI (Distribution Gnu Linux Franchement inutile / Frankly unnecessary Gnu Linux Distribution) but MX is not one of them and I'm not sure DEBIANUSER did realise all that has been accomplished.

Protokol

#14 Post by Protokol »

cyrilus31 wrote:
richb wrote:A french youtuber call the latest DGLFI

hello, do you have a link? I hope it's note Fred B.
I think not, he wrotes a good article on MxLinux 17.1
I'm enjoying everyday my MxLinux since 1 month after a lot of distro hopping on my 10 years old asus 32 bits laptop :number1:
Hewlett-Packard Compaq Presario CQ71 Notebook
Kernel: 4.19.0-12-amd64 x86_64
Desktop: MX-19.2_x64 patito feo May 31 2020
Graphics: Intel Mobile 4 Series Integrated Graphics
Ram : 4GB

cyrilus31

#15 Post by cyrilus31 »

Yes it's Frederic. Remark I said "the latest" are called DGLFI not MX Linux of course ;)

Protokol

#16 Post by Protokol »

ok, you're right ;)
Hewlett-Packard Compaq Presario CQ71 Notebook
Kernel: 4.19.0-12-amd64 x86_64
Desktop: MX-19.2_x64 patito feo May 31 2020
Graphics: Intel Mobile 4 Series Integrated Graphics
Ram : 4GB

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

#17 Post by ChrisUK »

A quick fix (well, workaround) for a Black Screen on resume is to switch to a TTY and then TTY7 (or maybe TTY8). So CTRL-ALT-F1 then CTRL-ALT-F7... no need for a hard reset or REISUB.

IME, it only happens with the older Kernels (4.9 and earlier)... changing to a later Kernel fixes the problem, but can introduce others on certain older hardware (for example; 7 year old i3 Laptop with nvidia gfx).
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

roadapathy

#18 Post by roadapathy »

I'm really selective about my Linux- I've used Ubuntu or Xubuntu since 2009. MX Linux was the ONLY distro that I have tried that could beat Ubuntu flavors. It's better in every way.

That's fine, the reviewer is missing out. Their loss.

Stevo
Developer

#19 Post by Stevo »

MX keeps its slim lead to remain atop the Distrowatch user ratings, despite this recent review:
Version: 17.1
Rating: 5
Date: 2018-05-08
Votes: 1

Difficulties getting a live usb to try or install, on a system that easily installs Mint etc over the last year ... 3rd try (latest April iso) worked. Issues running expressvpn and megasync debs ... ended up with having to choose the 2nd boot option, ie systemd, in order to use expressvpn. Megasync deb wouldn't install/dependencies not possible, so was stuck with the less-easy-to-use browser version. Worst issue was dealing with wine/playonlinux; MX linux prefer a staging version overall?, and I couldn't make head nor tail of how to get games to not crash. Rather confusing.
Aside from these main things, some glitches, but the system overall ran well, including Krita pressure sensitivity for non-Wacom display tablet. Better for tech-heads overall, I think, plus this distro has personal quirks that don't cover what may be useful/wanted by most. Many long-term unresolved threads on the forum, with similar issues. If it was possible to run any deb successfully and use wine/playonlinux as normal, I think that would help many trying MX, but not recommended for those new to Linux.
So they knock off five points because they have to use systemd with proprietary apps that require it, and because some games won't work with Wine? Jeesh...luckily the large number of good reviews now insulate us from this sort of stuff. Some criticism is constructive, but other times it isn't.

BTW, uGet also has built-in support for Mega links...

Mauser

#20 Post by Mauser »

Stevo, that reviewer looks like a lying Linux Mint troll that gets money from Expressvpn.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

Return to “General”