Distrowatch review grumbles

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
colin_b

Re: Distrowatch reveiw grumbles

#41 Post by colin_b »

Another polite Distro watch niggle has appeared.

https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resou ... &distro=mx
I have installed and run MX linux casually from the version 14. and I have really like. It’s well done, stable and use a very little amount of ram.

Unfortunaly I have something to complain for the latest version. The repo of Sweden is nearest to me. I cannot update all from it when I use the original iso. It seems that everything has upload but when I change the repo to Usa or Greek I get a lot of new updates. It’s very strange.

I have also trouble with Firefox and Thunderbird. They both start with black screen which also flash. I take about one second with Firefox and three with Thunderbird. I don’t now what’s the matter. I have tried Xubuntu (18.04) and Peppermint 8 without any issues. They have not such a problem.

When I installed language packages (swedish or finnish) they don’t translate Firefox and Thunderbird automatically. I must download language packages from webb and install the xpi packages manually. After that I must also configure Firefox: about:config → intl.locale.requested → (se or fi). This is a minor problem and I can managed with it. But I don’t like black screens. That’s why I use prefer the previous version.

I give however 10 points because of MX linux is so good. I hope the developers can fix the problems as soon as possible.

fehlix
Developer

#42 Post by fehlix »

colin_b wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 6:10 pmAnother polite Distro watch niggle has appeared.
The repo of Sweden is nearest to me. I cannot update all from it when I use the original iso.
I have also trouble with Firefox and Thunderbird. They both start with black screen which also flash.
When I installed language packages (swedish or finnish) they don’t translate Firefox and Thunderbird automatically.
At least some valid points, if the local (nearest) repo is not available (or outdated(?)) we might make
it more visible to offer selecting another mirror.
Localaization of FF/Tb ist just around the corner to get fixed "semi"-automatically.
(see my other post L10N-FIX : Firefox, Thunderbird, ...
The packaging team looking into this just now.
Not sure about the black-screen of ff/tb issue, never seen such thing.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Gordon Cooper

#43 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Changing a repo mirror is provided for in MX tools. I have found that the nearest is not always the best. The NZ mirror is reportedly very close to me but is not reliable, so I have swapped to the Utah mirror and not noticed any drop in download speed.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

Stevo
Developer

#44 Post by Stevo »

Was the Swedish repo one of those very short-lived vincz ones? I thought we got rid of those for 17.1--if so, this person must be complaining about an unupdated MX 17, not 17.1. Too bad the reviews don't allow comments...

Gordon Cooper

#45 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Am running 17.1 and Sweden is still listed in the mirrors.
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.

Adrian
Developer

#46 Post by Adrian »

Gordon Cooper wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:35 pm Am running 17.1 and Sweden is still listed in the mirrors.
Which Sweden repo? This one should work I think: http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/mxlinux.org/packages that's what we have in MX Repo Manager, let me know if that doesn't work well and we can take it out.

Gordon Cooper

#47 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Which Sweden repo? This one should work I think: http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/mxlinux.org/packages that's what we have in MX Repo Manager, let me know if that doesn't work well and we can take it out.
The index of that mirror shows nothing later than 2016, and 2015 for MX
Last edited by Gordon Cooper on Fri May 25, 2018 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adrian
Developer

#48 Post by Adrian »

Gordon Cooper wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 12:13 am
The index of that mirror shows nothing later than 2016
Are you sure, I see files updated on 2018-05-24 21:16
http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/mxlinux.or ... ary-amd64/

Gordon Cooper

#49 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Adrian
Developer

#50 Post by Adrian »

Gordon Cooper wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 12:19 am That is what I got at http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/mxlinux.org/packages/
That's just when those folders were created not when they were updated. I think it's a confusion here, there was another Swedish repo that we dropped http://se.mirror.mxlinux.de/packages the new one the one I linked to should work fine.

Return to “General”