Distrowatch review grumbles

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Stevo
Developer

Re: Distrowatch reveiw grumbles

#271 Post by Stevo »

A couple more from the fanboi trolls today:
Version: 18.1
Rating: 1
Date: 2019-04-05
Votes: 10

updating and program installation doesn't work, system sometimes freezes after long use, in browser and other applications it randomly scrolls up and down just by typing something
Version: 18.1
Rating: 1
Date: 2019-04-06
Votes: 0

this is the buggiest distro i´v seen. based on debian stable but feels like testing or unstable
I hate to give them ideas, but why don't they just say we've been hacked and our ISO is full of malware, too? 9_9
I suppose that 1 is as low as you can rate, otherwise they'd put zero.
Nevertheless, we have too much momentum, and should soon pass Manjaro for the #1 spot on the 6 month clickthru list on DW, leading to much gnashing of teeth and even more of these.

I wish a user would just post another honest review and at the same time call out the trolls in it

fehlix
Developer

#272 Post by fehlix »

teddylegs wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:49 am You're calling every reviewer who has a genuine issue a troll, yet clearly are the trolls.
I remember your failing wine installation differently. You have tried to install wine not in the way recommended as mentioned in our wiki but somehow differently, by this installed some dependency issues, which failed from running wine properly. And I couldn't fix those dependency issue. The point with those complains are often the user do bring their system in such a state that something fails, and the only reason they see that the distro is buggy, without realizing that they probably put the system in such a state, theme self. Those user who "know" how to do this from other distro simply start and than often fail to install wine, because they do not install in the way we recommend and have provided packages for.
Lot's of user do run wine either from our standard repo or even latest greatest wine from our "fresh" repo called "testrepo".
If you don't listen or read when you get help, it's not much we can do, either.
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Stevo
Developer

#273 Post by Stevo »

You are a troll. Thanks for just proving it.

"Nine demerits for MX because it's not Mint!"

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#274 Post by JayM »

It gets rather tedious seeing
This distro sucks! I had this one issue with MX Linux that nobody else is reporting, it wouldn't even detect my Whizbang Kerfluffle 2000 discombobulator that nobody in the world uses but me (IT WORKED IN UBUNTU! :bawling: ), and such-and-such didn't work straight away and I couldn't be arsed to read the manual/wiki/forum/do a quick web search/access tons of resources that are at my disposal, or put any effort into solving my problem by actually doing anything myself, or even listen to what people suggested I do to fix it. I complained in the forum for days but my computer never magically started working by itself. 1/10.
But you can't please everybody. The negative reviews are in the small minority even including the trollish ones from other distros' fanbois. The huge majority of people who leave a review seem to really like MX so you guys/gals are doing something right. Keep it up! :smile:

The worst ones are people who have some knowledge or familiarity with Linux and think they know more than they actually do (the Dunning-Kruger effect.) I always approach every new distro as though it was a completely unique OS, as each one was created with a particular purpose in mind and according to a particular idea or philosophy. People don't seem to get that MX/Manjaro/PCLOS/DeadRat/etc. =/= Ubuntu and they all have their own way of doing things (and that not following The Way leads to unhappiness.)
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Stevo
Developer

#275 Post by Stevo »

They see me trollin'
I'm hatin'
Gonna give MX that one point ratin'

My review's so lame
I'm flamin'

apologies to Chamillionaire

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#276 Post by JayM »

Stevo wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:47 am They see me trollin'
I'm hatin'

My review's so lame
I'm flamin'

apologies to Chamillionaire
:playguitar: :band: :celebrate:
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Fibogacci

#277 Post by Fibogacci »

Haters are another indicator for success. The more haters the bigger success ;)

People/users can read and think - good, honest review has usually many lines and information, hater's review has usually 1 or 2 lines and it has some troll pattern ;)

If I can, I usually vote down such troll review.
MX-18 Continuum x86_64: laptop Dell Inspiron N7110, Intel Core i5-2410M @ 2.900GHz, 4GB RAM, Kernel: 4.19, DE: Xfce

PPC

#278 Post by PPC »

Hi! Sorry if this is a (quite a) bit off topic- I'm not talking about a "distrowatch review". My native language is portuguese and I recently saw, a MX review on a brasilian tech Youtube channel- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwzYZ-jCGNM
As far I as know it's not subbed in english...
What got my attention was this- the guy, not really trashing MX, complained about the sometimes bad looking icon theming and also said that MX Tools sometimes helped fix problems the user would not have if not using MX!? I was like WTF on that comment? I agree with some of the guy's remarks- that MX is Debian with some extra tools, XFCE DE and ARC theme and papirus icon theme. He is 100% correct... but what he didn't say is that MX runs like a dream, it's not just a patchwork of everything he mentioned, but a harmonious mix of everything that makes the MX much better than the sum of all it's the parts... What comments can I make in his video to try to change the guy's mind?

P.

anticapitalista
Developer

#279 Post by anticapitalista »

PPC wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:45 am I agree with some of the guy's remarks- that MX is Debian with some extra tools, XFCE DE and ARC theme and papirus icon theme. He is 100% correct...

P.
MX is a lot more than that.
Does Debian have live frugal install incorporated?
Does it have live remaster/persistence easy to set up?
Doe it have any easy way to snapshot the installed system?
Does it use sysvinit?
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#280 Post by JayM »

PPC wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:45 am Hi! Sorry if this is a (quite a) bit off topic- I'm not talking about a "distrowatch review". My native language is portuguese and I recently saw, a MX review on a brasilian tech Youtube channel- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwzYZ-jCGNM
As far I as know it's not subbed in english...
What got my attention was this- the guy, not really trashing MX, complained about the sometimes bad looking icon theming and also said that MX Tools sometimes helped fix problems the user would not have if not using MX!? I was like WTF on that comment? I agree with some of the guy's remarks- that MX is Debian with some extra tools, XFCE DE and ARC theme and papirus icon theme. He is 100% correct... but what he didn't say is that MX runs like a dream, it's not just a patchwork of everything he mentioned, but a harmonious mix of everything that makes the MX much better than the sum of all it's the parts... What comments can I make in his video to try to change the guy's mind?

P.
Objection: he's not 100% correct. MX is based on Debian Stable, that's all. He (and you) aren't taking into account all the packaging work done by Stevo (and perhaps others?) to add new apps that aren't in Stretch, provide updated, newer versions of older versions that are in Stretch's repos, provide up-to-date patched kernels, and (as you say) ensure that everything "just works" on as many hardware platforms in the World as possible. And that's only one of many things that sets MX aside from Debian and many other distros. The work by the antiX "crewe" to make MX lean and mean so it runs even on old Pentium II boxes, little netbooks and notebooks with Atom processors and low-end Celerons, and fairly low RAM is another. The MX manual is yet another: how many other distros come with a built-in, detailed user manual available at the touch of an alt+F1 keystroke combination?

Ubuntu is also based on Debian if I recall correctly. Is Ubuntu merely Debian with some additional orange and black theming and a few add-ons? When it comes down to it, all Linux distros are ultimately based on Linus Torvald's kernel, Richard Stallman's ports of Unix command-line apps, plus XFree86, a desktop environment and a window manager added. Yet Ubuntu is different than Mint which is different than PCLinuxOS which is different than Puppy... you get the idea.

Other than that' tell him what you just said here about MX running like a dream and the harmonious mix and the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.
Last edited by JayM on Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General”