Distrowatch review grumbles

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
colin_b

Re: Distrowatch reveiw grumbles

#151 Post by colin_b »

Version: 18
Rating: 4
Date: 2019-01-05
Votes: 0

I use MX 18 on a USB stick for a portable backup/rescue pruposes. It runs great that way but for me it is not suitable for a permanent installation on my main PC because the current stable version of WINE is not available. I found this out after installing MX on the hard drive. I tried to install winehq-stable using using Debian Stretch repo on winehq.org and it failed. This was a deal breaker for me so I went back to Xubuntu.

Zeh

#152 Post by Zeh »

It's a known fact that not everybody can deal healthily with other people's success... Besides the above shown transcriptions there are also these:
Rating: 2
Date: 2019-01-02
Votes: 32
Only another Xfce distro with some extra tools. There's no need to make such a big excitement. Xfce layout too bad.
Rating: 1
Date: 2019-01-04
Votes: 1
its a great distro...
but alot of bloatware
and unfortunately Distrowatch doesn't care about doing something about this kind of nonsense 'reviews' and ratings...

Adrian
Developer

#153 Post by Adrian »

When I hear "bloatware" about anything to me it's just a sign of how clueless is the person who is talking, if a 1.3GB operating system with Xfce DE is "bloatware" I don't know what kind of hardware they run, do they use 20 years old harddrives for which 20 MB extra or less is 50% of the disk space? For Jeebus' sake, you can get a SSD with 120 GB for $20 https://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Power-12 ... B07GHJDX5V and a regular rotational harddisk probably bigger than that from trash for free and for 120 GB which is pretty much the smallest SSD you can buy online if you save let's say some hundreds of MB if you could it's still only 0.1% more space... geez, big deal!!!

As for RAM consumption and speed people constantly praised MX, so it's definitely not that. My suspicions is that people who talk about bloatware in Linux world are two category of people: clueless Windows users who are used with the idea that the more programs you install the slower your system gets and people who prefer command line tools, the second group has a bit of a claim, but for them there are other distros... I don't think they will ever be our target market, we constantly refer them to antiX which is much more appropriate for this kind of audience. For me as I said, I won't even try to save 0.1% space on my disk and lose a lot of functionality.
Last edited by Adrian on Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

anticapitalista
Developer

#154 Post by anticapitalista »

How can anyone write 'great distro, but ...' and score it 1.

The other review seems even more suspicious.

Code: Select all

Rating: 2
Date: 2019-01-02
Votes: 32
Only another Xfce distro with some extra tools. There's no need to make such a big excitement. Xfce layout too bad.
32 votes !? - suggests a deliberate attempt by X distro fanbois to discredit MX.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Jerry3904
Administrator

#155 Post by Jerry3904 »

Yeah, that's how I see it too. And the wording is nearly identical to one of the comments to that LinuxGuides video I posted in the German Forum, so I bet that's where it came from.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

BitJam
Developer

#156 Post by BitJam »

anticapitalista wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:04 am How can anyone write 'great distro, but ...' and score it 1.
Not just a great distro, the number one distro! :number1: ;)
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

Stevo
Developer

#157 Post by Stevo »

colin_b wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:09 am
Rating: 4
Votes: 0

I use MX 18 on a USB stick for a portable backup/rescue pruposes. It runs great that way but for me it is not suitable for a permanent installation on my main PC because the current stable version of WINE is not available. I found this out after installing MX on the hard drive. I tried to install winehq-stable using using Debian Stretch repo on winehq.org and it failed. This was a deal breaker for me so I went back to Xubuntu.
Yeah, sorta like "I didn't like the panel on the left, so I'm going to give it a 1".
Not that the fanboi troll attacks are unexpected, now that we approach the top of the hit parade. Haters gotta hate.

colin_b

#158 Post by colin_b »

Rating: 3
Votes: 20

A very buggy distro! I'll stick with Linux Mint MATE and Ubuntu MATE.
What a crock!

Stevo
Developer

#159 Post by Stevo »

Thus, from these small flames sprang the great conflagration now known as the great Distrowatch rating wars of 2019.

Many were the fanbois that lost their innocence in that conflict, many were the distros that were unfairly trashed and died before their time, and the Linux world ended up even more divided than before.*

*Though historians can't understand how the last was even possible. WTF.

Stevo
Developer

#160 Post by Stevo »

colin_b wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:59 pm
Rating: 3
Votes: 20

A very buggy distro! I'll stick with Linux Mint MATE and Ubuntu MATE.
What a crock!
Yeah, they're turning into the Youtube comment section. Never read those if you want to stay sane, or just use the herp derp browser extension.

Return to “General”