Distrowatch review grumbles

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Gordon Cooper

Re: Distrowatch reveiw grumbles

#71 Post by Gordon Cooper »

I know that american English differs from the basics that I learned at school, but I doubt if the spelling of reveiw is one of the differences.? Review surely !!!
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

Richard

#72 Post by Richard »

:)
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

colin_b

#73 Post by colin_b »

Gordon Cooper wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:56 am I know that american English differs from the basics that I learned at school, but I doubt if the spelling of reveiw is one of the differences.? Review surely !!!
Oops. My fault. :embarrassed:

It was really late when I made the initial post, and in my sleep deprived state I made a spelling mistake on the post subject. It seems pointless changing it now.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#74 Post by dolphin_oracle »

colin_b wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:24 am
Gordon Cooper wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:56 am I know that american English differs from the basics that I learned at school, but I doubt if the spelling of reveiw is one of the differences.? Review surely !!!
Oops. My fault. :embarrassed:

It was really late when I made the initial post, and in my sleep deprived state I made a spelling mistake on the post subject. It seems pointless changing it now.
LOL I never noticed that! Of course, my speling stinks
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

colin_b

#75 Post by colin_b »

Almost not directly related to the distro itself: I had many problems installing the nvidea video driver (MX has a dedicated application for it- just type nvidia in the menu box, press enter and it installs, but for unkown reasons, the driver kept insisting on giving me 640x480 only). Also, not that big deal: the Google Earth that MX tries to install refuses to install. I had to download the .deb file and manually install that.
Are these things that can be addressed?

sunrat

#76 Post by sunrat »

colin_b wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:46 pm
Almost not directly related to the distro itself: I had many problems installing the nvidea video driver...
Yes indeed. Reminding them to check spelling before posting may help. :p

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#77 Post by dolphin_oracle »

colin_b wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:46 pm
Almost not directly related to the distro itself: I had many problems installing the nvidea video driver (MX has a dedicated application for it- just type nvidia in the menu box, press enter and it installs, but for unkown reasons, the driver kept insisting on giving me 640x480 only). Also, not that big deal: the Google Earth that MX tries to install refuses to install. I had to download the .deb file and manually install that.
The nvidia thing is a bit of a mystery. I think I tried to help that person in the forum.

Google Earth is on the list. Hopefully this weekend.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

colin_b

#78 Post by colin_b »

Great job.

:number1:

Stevo
Developer

#79 Post by Stevo »

Google is killing off the 6.0.3 version of Google Earth that Debian's googleearth-package script/MXPI was downloading, so they no longer have it available for download. We're looking into having MXPI use the new 7.3 GE Pro that they offer instead.

PPC

#80 Post by PPC »

Hi! I'm the guy that posted the Distrowatch review that addressed the "Almost not directly related to the distro itself" "cons"...

@dolphin_oracle - sorry, you tried to help a different person on the forum, not me, but I read that thread... My problem "magically" solved itself after a nvidia driver instalation that went wrong -giving me no graphical interface (yes I used the official MX nvidia install about half a dozen times to try solutions that were suggested on the forum...), I rebooted one time after one install and for reason the nvidia control panel started showing more screen resolutions. to this day I don't know what happened, I'm just happy it's working now...

The google earth install isn't such a big deal, but it may shoo away some linux newbies. Probably easy to solve by changing the file "MX tools" points to...

The only real cons I can think off that are really MX "fault" are:
- the from=usb option I had to use to be able to boot from usb (probably related to my funky 10 years old motherboard). Funny story: if I try to boot without that option I get a kernel error, with a option to continue booting. If I do so I'm presented with a copy of antiX screen and menu but the system does not respond to any input from the keyboard or the mouse :-)
- Also I bet that for non english speaking newbie users having to change Firefox UI language is a bit scary (it's on the manual, I guess but there's no portuguese version of the manual yet- yes I could help with that but, it's a huge enterprise, it's 150 pages...).

I gave MX top marks on my (very positive) review :-)

Return to “General”