Distrowatch review grumbles

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Stevo
Developer

Re: Distrowatch reveiw grumbles

#321 Post by Stevo »

Volcanic "something" might be really new bleeding-edge AMD hardware, but who can say from that review?

Head_on_a_Stick

#322 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Stevo wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:36 pm Volcanic "something" might be really new bleeding-edge AMD hardware
2014, apparently: https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/microa ... ic_islands
mod note: Signature removed, please read the forum rules

colin_b

#323 Post by colin_b »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:40 pm 2014, apparently: https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/microa ... ic_islands
Good detective work :happy:

From this I've found the GPU used is an AMD Radeon Rx 300 series. From what I can see it should work:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Radeon_Rx_300_series

Free and open-source graphics device driver amdgpu

This new kernel driver is directly supported and developed by AMD. It is available on various Linux distributions, and has been ported to some other operating systems as well. Only GCN GPUs are supported.[6]

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#324 Post by JayM »

I've been using MX Linux for four years. I used to be very happy with it. Now there are many strange behaviors since it was incrementally upgraded from 17.1. It's been getting worse in the last few months.

One of the biggest annoyances is with the usb mouse that used to work just fine. It doesn't anymore and seems to get worse the longer the uptime.

I have slowly developed the impression that the distro I have enjoyed using has become sloppy, perhaps due to the increased popularity and difficulty in coping? I don't know what the cause is. Is something wrong with debian these days?

All I can say is that I have gone from a perfect MX Linux world to a wobbly one. I would expect that from other Linux distrobutions but not from MX Linux. What happened?
I don't remember seeing a help request about these issues, do you? My guess is he has four years worth of cruft on his system and it's time to bite the bullet and reinstall, or it's a hardware issue (or perhaps a wetware issue) but he chooses to blame it on the distro in a review rather than trying to find a solution. It reminds me of people who leave poor restaurant reviews on Yelp rather than speaking to their server or the manager if there's a problem, and giving the staff a chance to make it right.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

jj1j1

#325 Post by jj1j1 »

I haven't been to distrowatch for a while, but MX is rocking :exclamation:
True freedom is never asking the question; Am I free?

rfdez

#326 Post by rfdez »

Distrowatch 0 -- Mx Linux 1

herol

#327 Post by herol »

colin_b wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:58 pm
Version: 18.3
Rating: 7
Date: 2019-07-22
Votes: 0

Power management on the Lenovo Thinkpads that are from 7 years to 2 years of age is not optimized and the Thinkpads run hot and uses a lot of battery power.....not a laptop you want to go and sit outside and type a long-winded document for the office or do spreadsheet budget alterations with ....Guys, please look at power optimizations....currently Linux Mint 18 and above caters for all that and battery life is exceptionally longer on Linux Mint than MX Linux.

I find the above DW review lacks information, even with the exact hardware and model of Thinkpad there are many other factors to consider if anyone wants to try and reproduce the claim.

Maybe a hardware dependent issue or just subjective, we have no heating issues in normal usage on T420 CPU I5 with Hi res Screen and NVidia, same goes for T430 with Intel Graphics CPU is also I5. I used both Mint and Manjaro with Mate desktop before moving to MX. Battery life seems about the same as always.

Some of the reviews on DW are unfortunately just destructive and uninformative.

colin_b

#328 Post by colin_b »

Rating: 6
Date: 2019-08-03

One simple test of the width of a distro is to install the office suite, if it's not default installed. I think the ones that pick-up your language tools, thesaurus, spell-check etc, have the right depth and breadth for joe bloggs. Of the two installations of MX I've made neither picked-up these standard writing tools.

Stevo
Developer

#329 Post by Stevo »

colin_b wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:24 pm
Rating: 6
Date: 2019-08-03

One simple test of the width of a distro is to install the office suite, if it's not default installed. I think the ones that pick-up your language tools, thesaurus, spell-check etc, have the right depth and breadth for joe bloggs. Of the two installations of MX I've made neither picked-up these standard writing tools.
I guess there are downsides to legalized pot...

Stevo
Developer

This genius apparently downloaded some kind of respin, not MX

#330 Post by Stevo »

The principle of charity dictates I consider that instead of just calling them an out-and-out liar.
Rating: 1
Date: 2019-08-18
Votes: 1

XFCE with lot of tools and configuration.

Those who would like to have to ton load of apps preinstalled, it's perfect distro for them.
I had never seen XFCE distro with these many customizations and tools ever before.

But, I don't like to have these many apps preinstalled, mainly when I don't use them at all. That's why I left Windoows long time ago. But, I think modern distros want you to have everything.

There are around 20 MX tools, if you are missing Windows app.
Two compositors.
5-6 games.
8-10 media players.
40-50 tweaking apps.

WOW!! Thank you MX Player!
This respin apparently added lots of extra media players and tweaking apps to the ISO, as well as something called "MX Player". I just want to know where to download it to get a look at MX Player! 9_9

But we predicted the parasites and fleas would attack us when we took the #1 spot...

Return to “General”