Distrowatch review grumbles

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Stevo
Developer

Re: Distrowatch reveiw grumbles

#261 Post by Stevo »

And another FUD special today, especially when they don't say if they are comparing Debian's old Wine versus the other distros' fresh releases, or if they even tried wine-staging from the test repo to compare apples to apples.

Four points off because of one program?
Version: 18.1
Rating: 6
Date: 2019-03-26
Votes: 0

i find that WINE does not work best on MX. otherwise it is a good distro. if you want to use a distro for the sake of installing WINE to use Windows apps, i do not suggest MX. WINE still works on MX, but i think WINE on Manjaro and Solus works much better. also updating using auto updater is slow and prone of breaking

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#262 Post by JayM »

FYI I still have that Acer Zenbook with 3200x1800 resolution and a 13.3 inch monitor. I'm still willing to test booting to a LiveUSB image that can automatically adjust scaling if anyone's working on making one. Just FYI. :smile:
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

aledie

#263 Post by aledie »

New highlight, probably 1/4 at his time zone... and, btw, below wording along with the rating comes damn familiar to me, was it 1 month ago already!? Starts getting really dull ... And insulting the tools :mad:
Rating: 1
Date: 2019-03-31
Votes: 0

I am really wondering why this distro came so high and so quickly in Distrowatch rankings, this is weird.
I have installed MX 18.1 on my desktop PC (the one I use mainly for testing purposes) on which I was running flawlessly Manjaro, and the least I can say is that was not a success.
In fact, one of the first things I wanted to do is to install nvidia drivers. I first tried with mx-tools, but it just failed to install anything. Then I tried in the terminal nvidia-detect-mx, and it suggested me to install nvidia legacy 340 driver. That's what I did, the installation process went through to the end without any issues, but when I rebooted the PC, I just got a total black screen. End of the story.
Sure, I have already installed tons of distros like this, but the difference here is that this one is ranked number 2.
For the rest, this is just an xfce desktop debian based distro without any remarkable features, most of the "mx tools" basically just open a terminal window, nothing more.
MX-18 (x64): HP 8460p, i5-2540M, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, HD3000

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#264 Post by dolphin_oracle »

well, we deserve a small knock for the nvidia-installer, but I really don't know what to do with it for stretch. with the later drivers, it seems to work better (but not 100%) to not generate an xorg.conf file. for buster, I'm going to switch to not generating a xorg.conf by default (it doesn't hurt that the xorg.conf nvidia tool has been deprecated).
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

colin_b

#265 Post by colin_b »

Rating: 5
Date: 2019-04-03
Votes: 3

On the positive side :
- good hardware recognition, fully functional and reliable, but I have not tested peripherals, except storage,
- good set of tools,
- could find all the software I really use (very basic in my case: Firefox, Thunderbird, XnViewMP, Asunder, SoundConverter, EasyTag...), in up to date versions,
- spartan, but very functional desktop environment, as I like it.

On the negative side :
- It most definitely did not work 'out of the box', and for each installation; for instance:
. as a French speaker, I chose French as a system locale, and it was not applied everywhere (installing language packs manually did solve all problems in the end)
. system initially did not update correctly because of 'EXPKEYSIG' error,
. other minor fixes necessary post install
- fails to mount memory card in an audio player of mine (USB disc) which has both internal memory and a memory card, although this works for my android phone.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#266 Post by JayM »

It's hard to believe someone would take the trouble to rate a distro at 5 merely because they had to do some minor tweaks for their locale and language, and that one particular arcane piece of hardware that he owned didn't work quite as expected.

On the other hand that expired key sig thing is a legitimate problem that really should be resolved in the live CD/USB ISOs in my opinion. Too many new users are trying MX, getting that error the first time they run the update tool, and having a less-good first impression of MX because of it. That alone might make MX legitimately deserve a 5 rating from a first-time user's standpoint.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

asqwerth
Developer

#267 Post by asqwerth »

JayM wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:14 pm...
On the other hand that expired key sig thing is a legitimate problem that really should be resolved in the live CD/USB ISOs in my opinion. Too many new users are trying MX, getting that error the first time they run the update tool, and having a less-good first impression of MX because of it. That alone might make MX legitimately deserve a 5 rating from a first-time user's standpoint.
This was raised already a few days ago to the team, and D_O/Adrian are building a new point release.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#268 Post by JayM »

asqwerth wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:41 am
JayM wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:14 pm...
This was raised already a few days ago to the team, and D_O/Adrian are building a new point release.
Good! :smile:

The MX/antiX/MEPIS team does terrific work. Thank you all.

colin_b

#269 Post by colin_b »

Trolls are out.
Rating: 1
Date: 2019-04-05
Votes: 1

updating and program installation doesn't work, system sometimes freezes after long use, in browser and other applications it randomly scrolls up and down just by typing something
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tor7UT8bue4

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#270 Post by JayM »

JayM wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:45 pm
Stevo wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:44 pm Maybe the setup app could have bitmap images on big buttons of what the fonts and icons are going to look like at various dpi and style settings, and ask the user to click the one that looks the best (in a large enough font). So the stock ones will look small on an hdpi screen and tiny on an xhdpi one. The bigger ones if clicked could then change the font dpi, the xfce window style theme and decorations, the icon size in Thunar, the panel width and maximum icon size in the Notification panel item, the font size in the panel clock, and the icon size in Whisker menu. These are all things that I need to adjust for a 1080 laptop screen anyway, so I know it must be worse on a 2160 laptop.

I don't think any of the dev team has an 4K xhdpi laptop, but I'm sure at least some of our users must.
I have one but I've put Windows 10 back on it and it's for sale. I could do some testing on it with MX booted from a live USB though, until somebody buys it that is. It's an Acer Zenbook 3200x1800 and a 13.3" screen.

Code: Select all

$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 520 driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GM108M [GeForce 940M] driver: nouveau v: kernel 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: modesetting,nouveau unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
           resolution: 3200x1800~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 520 (Skylake GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 18.2.6
I just sold it today fyi.

Return to “General”