Distrowatch review grumbles

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
asqwerth
Developer

Re: Distrowatch reveiw grumbles

#171 Post by asqwerth »

Mint Cinnamon's file manager = Nemo, not Caja.

My current Mint install is still 17 (upgraded to 17.3) but I could have sworn it had double click behaviour by default.

I hardly boot into it nowadays so I"m not intending to install another Mint when it hits End of Life in April 2019.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

philotux

#172 Post by philotux »

asqwerth wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:36 am ... but I could have sworn it had double click behaviour by default
You are right. It has double-click by default. I've got LM 19 Cinnamon on an external SSD. I find single click much more convenient.

Paul..

#173 Post by Paul.. »

asqwerth wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:16 am To be honest, I still don't know why we don't make double-click the default setup. IMO, most people nowadays are not so used to single-click except for KDE users :p
I'm on that page, too. Single-click tends to lead to problems for new users, too, selecting and then with copy/move files.

Asus Prime X570-Pro | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
16 Gig DDR4 3600 | Radeon RX 5600 XT Graphics
Samsung 860 500GB SSDs (2)

Jerry3904
Administrator

#174 Post by Jerry3904 »

Probably best to put it in the Bug Manager > Report a bug > MX Linux Development (I think all Devs have access to that, check with Rich if not), where I just added MX 18.1 as a version choice. That way, we don't have to remember it during the next development phase.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Mauser

#175 Post by Mauser »

asqwerth wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:16 am
Stevo wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:00 pm Another rating knocks off a couple points because they don't bother to read the manual or ask how to to fix some small things they don't like that would take literally a few mouse clicks to change or a simple install:
Version: 18
Rating: 8
Date: 2019-01-12
Votes: 0

[snip] ...I don't like the file browser. The Mate Caja browser is much better.
Also, I can't find the setting to change the one-click mouse behaviour. It's annoying when I click on a folder and it opens immediately. I'm not great in looking for hours in the internet to solve a puzzle...

Code: Select all

sudo apt install caja
, buddy?
Normally, I'm give up a distro inside a few hours
Can't imagine why you have troubles! /s
To be honest, I still don't know why we don't make double-click the default setup. IMO, most people nowadays are not so used to single-click except for KDE users :p

But the reviewer's claim that it's difficult to find the setting in Thunar to change the one-click behaviour is also a little suspicious. Don't most Linux file managers have their settings in Menu Bar >> Edit >> Preferences, like Thunar?

Caja's settings: https://www.systutorials.com/docs/linux ... roperties/
...Caja's preferences. It is typically accessible through the "Edit" menu in Caja browser windows,... You can specify appearance preferences for the Default View; and defaults for Icon, Compact, List, and Tree View; and select sort options and display options. You can configure Caja to recognize Single or Double Click input; ...

Does one really need to search for hours on the internet to find the answer? (yes I know it's in MX Tweak, but just a quick exploration of Thunar's settings by this apparent MATE fan would have solved it.)
I concur. This looks like someone who has been using Linux longer than I have since I never heard of Caja. The poster knows of Caja which I never heard of but doesn't know Xfce but knows KDE and Mate. LOL People who came from using Windows are accustom to double clicking so I could understand on why mentioning it should be default, but it's easy to change it from single click to double click. Instead of reading the manual this poster rather do it the hard way searching the Internet. This poster couldn't find a prostitute in a brothel.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

Stevo
Developer

#176 Post by Stevo »

asqwerth wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:36 am Mint Cinnamon's file manager = Nemo, not Caja.

My current Mint install is still 17 (upgraded to 17.3) but I could have sworn it had double click behaviour by default.

I hardly boot into it nowadays so I"m not intending to install another Mint when it hits End of Life in April 2019.
The review did say he wanted Mate's Caja instead of Thunar. Not sure how Cinnamon got involved.

asqwerth
Developer

#177 Post by asqwerth »

Stevo wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:10 pm
asqwerth wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:36 am Mint Cinnamon's file manager = Nemo, not Caja.

The review did say he wanted Mate's Caja instead of Thunar. Not sure how Cinnamon got involved.
I was replying to someone in the thread.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#178 Post by JayM »

You're right, it's Nemo. Caja's for MATE. Slip of the brain there. I tested a couple of dozen Linux distros over a year ago (before deciding on Mint at the time) and got them mixed up.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Stevo
Developer

#179 Post by Stevo »

Here's a couple new ones that knocked off points because they didn't read or understand the manual and system...or something.
Rating: 7
Date: 2019-01-21
Votes: 5

Installs quickly and easily. With Xfce desktop is fast and efficient on resources. However the default is to remember passwords and this causes a user to run as root (if they don't uncheck the remember passwords checkbox) when first typing password to use features such as the synaptic package manager. There's no obvious way to reverse this problem without logging out and then back in again. Also, the most useful feature, MXTools configuration utilities is not found on the the default desktop. I don't know why MXLinux would want to hide this feature in the menu. It should be on the taskbar or on the desktop shortcut at the very least. Also, there seems no way to create a user with admin privileges to access the package manager or installer, so again, the user must logon as root, creating another opportunity to accidentally run your whole session as root. The conky feature displaying date and time and other information is a nice feature and very customizable.
Rating: 5
Date: 2019-01-21
Votes: 0

doenst use systemctl and cant install snap. So no way using this system. npm doesnt work either.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#180 Post by Jerry3904 »

boy are those stupid...
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Return to “General”