Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

Distrowatch review grumbles

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
PPC

Re: Distrowatch reveiw grumbles

#141 Post by PPC »

hi everyone!

One more confusing (to me) review (or reveiw??? :happy: )
"MXLinux is good for laptops with basic linux users who want something that looks decent and runs fast. But once you get into the advanced customization, you'll find that MXLinux is very messy. "
I'm not really into advanced customization on MX, but what could this reviewer be talking about? Is there anything I'm missing? He/she talks about Gentoo, which I've never tried... ("as customizable and sane as gentoo, but already configured for desktops")
How exactly is Gentoo "saner" than MX???

P.

Buck Fankers

#142 Post by Buck Fankers »

PPC wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:42 am He/she talks about Gentoo, which I've never tried... ("as customizable and sane as gentoo, but already configured for desktops") How exactly is Gentoo "saner" than MX???
There is no way one can compare Gentoo and MX. These are two different words.
It is like difference between regular car user/driver and someone who is a mechanic and who constantly (as good mechanic) tweaks his engine setting to get extra horse power or what's not.

(S)he will not be happy with anything other than Gentoo so why even bother?

aledie

#143 Post by aledie »

I really don't get it, did the guy not start with antiX before moving on to MX... It could have been 10/10 for antiX!? Bad one can not reply to such reviews...

---------------------
Version: 17.1
Rating: 7
Date: 2018-12-03
Votes: 0

Great distro! The only thing that prevents me from using it is the theme and the Desktop environment!

I would like to have a chance to use rox + icewm or lxde vanilla..LXQT and xfce are too heavy for my laptop, an fluxbox version with rox would also be a great option !
MX-18 (x64): HP 8460p, i5-2540M, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, HD3000

Stevo
Developer

#144 Post by Stevo »

aledie wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:45 pm I really don't get it, did the guy not start with antiX before moving on to MX... It could have been 10/10 for antiX!? Bad one can not reply to such reviews...

---------------------
Version: 17.1
Date: 2018-12-03
Votes: 0

Great distro! The only thing that prevents me from using it is the theme and the Desktop environment!

I would like to have a chance to use rox + icewm or lxde vanilla..LXQT and xfce are too heavy for my laptop, an fluxbox version with rox would also be a great option !
Yes, we keep getting 10/10 reviews, some 9's, then oddballs like this come in and kill our average. I wouldn't mind if they had a legitimate point, but to knock off points because their machine is too old to run xfce?

colin_b

#145 Post by colin_b »

Version: 18
Rating: 9
Date: 2018-12-20
Votes: 2

The only feature i would like to see implemented is Nvidia-Prime instead of Bumblebee or at least an option to choose from it, as far as vulkan is not supported by bumblebee it makes no sense to use it anymore for gaming on Linux, DXVK is rocking baby!

colin_b

#146 Post by colin_b »

Date: 2018-12-25
Votes: 1

Had 17.1 installed. Was working fine, until I could not boot because no video.

Tried 18.0. I need to make changes using gsettings, but gsettings was not installed. Tried dconf-editor, and was able to make settings changes, but they did not take because they were never applied.

Then tried to install the gsettings program, which means I had to install libglib2.0-bin. However, this meant Gimp had to be removed, along with some mX-specific version of some package.

Stevo
Developer

#147 Post by Stevo »

colin_b wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:33 pm
Date: 2018-12-25
Votes: 1

Had 17.1 installed. Was working fine, until I could not boot because no video.

Tried 18.0. I need to make changes using gsettings, but gsettings was not installed. Tried dconf-editor, and was able to make settings changes, but they did not take because they were never applied.

Then tried to install the gsettings program, which means I had to install libglib2.0-bin. However, this meant Gimp had to be removed, along with some mX-specific version of some package.
Nonsense:

Code: Select all

$ apt policy libglib2.0-bin
libglib2.0-bin:
  Installed: 2.56.1-2~mx17+1
  Candidate: 2.56.1-2~mx17+1
  Version table:
 *** 2.56.1-2~mx17+1 500
        500 http://la.mxrepo.com/mx/repo stretch/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
The only way that could happen if they can't make contact with the MX repos, but that should show with some error messages.

colin_b

#148 Post by colin_b »

Problem came when I try to install and wasted 4-5hrs until I decided to give Linux Mint ver. 19 a try which works flawless unlike MX ver. 18.

The issue is MX ver. 18 CANNOT DETECT a new M.2 NVME drive, which I plan to install. UEFI is reading it on my mate's ThinkPad E585 (e585 bios does not have SATA to ACHI setting, which I presume ACHI should be default). I am a not-good-enough user which could be limited but I was terribly disappointed when Linux Mint 19 just work (of course, after the E585 firmware bug) and allowing it to be installed on the m.2 nvme drive!

Hopefully, the issue will be addressed soon! Thanks!

Stevo
Developer

#149 Post by Stevo »

It would help if they gave some information about the drive, since maybe there are known kernel problems and fixes for specific models. But nooooooooo...

colin_b

#150 Post by colin_b »

Rating: 10
Date: 2019-01-04
Votes: 23

So far, everything that's been broken by systemd in Mint is working in MX like the LightDM guest accounts (without the containment, or lack thereof, security bug) and the successful unmounting of encrypted directories on logout (another systemd security fail). Although you do have to edit a configuration file to enable the LightDM guest accounts (hint to the admin tool devs).

Return to “General”