-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Distrowatch reveiw grumbles

Report Bugs, Issues and non- pacakage Requests
PPC
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: Distrowatch reveiw grumbles

#141 Post by PPC » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:42 am

hi everyone!

One more confusing (to me) review (or reveiw??? :happy: )
"MXLinux is good for laptops with basic linux users who want something that looks decent and runs fast. But once you get into the advanced customization, you'll find that MXLinux is very messy. "
I'm not really into advanced customization on MX, but what could this reviewer be talking about? Is there anything I'm missing? He/she talks about Gentoo, which I've never tried... ("as customizable and sane as gentoo, but already configured for desktops")
How exactly is Gentoo "saner" than MX???

P.

Buck Fankers
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#142 Post by Buck Fankers » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:27 am

PPC wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:42 am
He/she talks about Gentoo, which I've never tried... ("as customizable and sane as gentoo, but already configured for desktops") How exactly is Gentoo "saner" than MX???
There is no way one can compare Gentoo and MX. These are two different words.
It is like difference between regular car user/driver and someone who is a mechanic and who constantly (as good mechanic) tweaks his engine setting to get extra horse power or what's not.

(S)he will not be happy with anything other than Gentoo so why even bother?

aledie
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#143 Post by aledie » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:45 pm

I really don't get it, did the guy not start with antiX before moving on to MX... It could have been 10/10 for antiX!? Bad one can not reply to such reviews...

---------------------
Version: 17.1
Rating: 7
Date: 2018-12-03
Votes: 0

Great distro! The only thing that prevents me from using it is the theme and the Desktop environment!

I would like to have a chance to use rox + icewm or lxde vanilla..LXQT and xfce are too heavy for my laptop, an fluxbox version with rox would also be a great option !
MX-17.1 (x64): HP 8460p, i5-2540M, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, HD3000

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#144 Post by Stevo » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:12 pm

aledie wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:45 pm
I really don't get it, did the guy not start with antiX before moving on to MX... It could have been 10/10 for antiX!? Bad one can not reply to such reviews...

---------------------
Version: 17.1
Rating: 7
Date: 2018-12-03
Votes: 0

Great distro! The only thing that prevents me from using it is the theme and the Desktop environment!

I would like to have a chance to use rox + icewm or lxde vanilla..LXQT and xfce are too heavy for my laptop, an fluxbox version with rox would also be a great option !
Yes, we keep getting 10/10 reviews, some 9's, then oddballs like this come in and kill our average. I wouldn't mind if they had a legitimate point, but to knock off points because their machine is too old to run xfce?

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”