CD-ROM Speed

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
colin_b

CD-ROM Speed

#1 Post by colin_b »

I'm a Luddite who plays audio CDs from time to time. I noticed long ago that MPV retrieves data from the media at max CD-ROM speed if eject -x 8 /dev/cdrom is not entered into the terminal - it sound like my PC is about to explode when an audio CD is played. I assumed the problem just applied to MPV, but I have now found VLC is the same.

I have found (but not tried) https://www.linux-apps.com/content/show ... tent=18057

Would it be possible to add this software to the test repo? If it works it will be useful to Luddites like myself.

sanlav

Re: CD-ROM Speed

#2 Post by sanlav »

I had the same problem.
You can try, as root, to add at the end of /etc/rc.local the following lines :

eject -x 4 /dev/sr0
setcd -x 4 /dev/sr0

Note that my speed is 4 times faster simply because my minimum cd speed is x4. You need to check minimum physical speed for your drive in his manual (at home or via net) and use that; otherwise probably will not work ... which I think is the problem with the program in your link.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#3 Post by chrispop99 »

colin_b wrote:I'm a Luddite who plays audio CDs from time to time. I noticed long ago that MPV retrieves data from the media at max CD-ROM speed if eject -x 8 /dev/cdrom is not entered into the terminal - it sound like my PC is about to explode when an audio CD is played. I assumed the problem just applied to MPV, but I have now found VLC is the same.

I have found (but not tried) https://www.linux-apps.com/content/show ... tent=18057

Would it be possible to add this software to the test repo? If it works it will be useful to Luddites like myself.
The last update to that program was 2006, and would therefore seem to be unsupported.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

colin_b

#4 Post by colin_b »

You can try, as root, to add at the end of /etc/rc.local the following lines :

eject -x 4 /dev/sr0
setcd -x 4 /dev/sr0
I tried something like this some time ago on MX 16, but a distro upgrade reset the file I had modified back to its default. As a result the CD ROM speed defaulted to max once more.

To be honest I'm surprised this is an issue, but it has occurred on every distro I've tried.

I'm not a programmer but it strikes me that it can't be that difficult to restrict the CD ROM speed during the playback of an audio CD. If this could be done it would eliminate the CD ROM squealing.

sanlav

#5 Post by sanlav »

Sorry; my bad.

ejectcd and setcd are 2 small packages in Synaptic which need to be installed.

Usually I keep handy an "package list'" from Synaptic in order to reinstall without problems and I forgot they are not default...

kingneutron

#6 Post by kingneutron »

colin_b wrote:I'm a Luddite who plays audio CDs from time to time. I noticed long ago that MPV retrieves data from the media at max CD-ROM speed if eject -x 8 /dev/cdrom is not entered into the terminal - it sound like my PC is about to explode when an audio CD is played.
--In the long term, you will be better served by ripping all of your audio CDs to WAV (see icedax, cdparanoia) and then re-encoding them to MP3, FLAC, OGG, or whatever suits (but still keeping the WAV around, JustInCase for whatever new format comes down in the years to come.) Physical media will degrade, but you can still copy the digital files to your next HD/PC/NAS.

--I speak from experience - once had a library-borrowed CD explode in a 52X MAX CDROM drive. Play the files instead of the disc and you won't have to worry.

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”