Issues from Imbedding VBox GA in the Host OS

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
richb
Administrator

Re: Issues from Imbedding VBox GA in the Host OS

#11 Post by richb »

and then add myself to the vboxusers group

And the vboxsf group if you want shared folders, that has always been essential for me. That is done automatically if you use MXPI.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

asqwerth
Developer

#12 Post by asqwerth »

richb wrote: And the vboxsf group if you want shared folders, that has always been essential for me. That is done automatically if you use MXPI.

I only started using shared folders after I began to use MXPI to install Virtualbox, and it was nice and easy to set up. And the VMs remember their settings and stay permanently mounted. No wonder.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#13 Post by dolphin_oracle »

I'm not sure what the OP is going to think when the vbox guest additions drivers hit the main line kernel.

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/01/vir ... nux-kernel

The VB Guest additions shouldn't be doing anything if the system is not loaded in a VM. But who knows, he says his video problems cleared up on removal of the guest addtions, and I'll take that on face value.

For anyone finding this thread later, they are removable thru synaptic.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

richb
Administrator

#14 Post by richb »

This caught my eye and may explain the OP's problems.
That approach is commendable, and provides a better first impression. But it’s also a bit of a hinderance; some users find the ‘preinstalled’ versions lacking in features, and then encounter errors and issues when trying to install the regular version of guest additions.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Stevo
Developer

#15 Post by Stevo »

I would bet that the problems come from mixing the Oracle Vbox with the Debianized version. We ship the Debianized version of the guest modules on the ISO, because that's the way to do it. Many other distros also do the same thing and have no complaints from their users.

If you go outside of the repos to download and install a deb from a website, when the recommended method is always try the repos first:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install virtualbox
do you have the right to ask that we change the entire distribution to match the "outside" method you have used to install the application?

Steve (hoping that the package installer installs from the repo now instead of Oracle now...)

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#16 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Stevo wrote:I would bet that the problems come from mixing the Oracle Vbox with the Debianized version. We ship the Debianized version of the guest modules on the ISO, because that's the way to do it. Many other distros also do the same thing and have no complaints from their users.

If you go outside of the repos to download and install a deb from a website, when the recommended method is always try the repos first:

sudo apt install virtualbox
do you have the right to ask that we change the entire distribution to match the "outside" method you have used to install the application?

Steve (hoping that the package installer installs from the repo now instead of Oracle now...)

it does.

we used to install from oracle's debian repo, but that would not build correctly on the 4.15 kernel so we changed it in mx-packageinstaller. that took place before release of 17.1

Stevo
Developer

#17 Post by Stevo »

So the whole problem probably resolves to "Won't Fix--install Virtual Box from the repo or with Package Installer", then.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#18 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Stevo wrote:So the whole problem probably resolves to "Won't Fix--install Virtual Box from the repo or with Package Installer", then.
I'm more interested in the graphics problems that the OP says were cleared up when he removed the guest-additions from the installed system.

BitJam
Developer

#19 Post by BitJam »

dolphin_oracle wrote:I'm more interested in the graphics problems that the OP says were cleared up when he removed the guest-additions from the installed system.
My guess is it was related to mixing versions of the guest-additions and Virtual Box. If we knew the version of Virtual Box the OP is using and if it is different from the one everyone else is using then we could try to replicate the problem. I had tried to explain this clearly in my previous post:
Most of the time when only one person has an issue and many many others don't have that issue it is because that one person did things differently than the others [...] I keep asking myself: what did I do differently? ... what did I do differently?
I realize this seems unlikely since the guest-additions on the host shouldn't make any difference. but it may be the least unlikely answer. It hit me when I saw that the OP used Gdebi to install Virtual Box. For all I know they installed the same version everyone else is using. If so then we will need to look elsewhere for the answer.

BTW: the first hit from Google(virtualbox guest additions on host) is Installed Virtualbox guest additions on host where the most informative reply said:
No harm done. [...] What may have happened however is that as a dependency you also had installed the OSE edition of Virtual Box from the repositories. This will override the installation of Virtual Box from the Oracle repository or a downloaded DEBIAN package. You will have to remove the OSE version again
This is obviously not what happened to the OP and it does not indicate there will be any adverse interaction by having guest-additions on the host system. It says the opposite. Since, as far as we know, only one person has the problem and everyone else does not then ISTM either:
  1. it was a coincidence that the graphics problem stopped after they removed guest-additions, or
  2. they changed something by trying to remove guest additions in a non-standard way, or
  3. the problem was due to how they installed Virtual box via Gdebi, or
  4. it was due to some other non-standard thing they did
Again, when only one person has a problem then you've got to look for what they did differently (or look for a hardware problem but in this case that seems extremely unlikely).

BTW: it is very easy to detect if your system is running inside of Virtual Box:

lspci -n | grep -iq " 80ee:beef"
The 80ee prefix ensures that only one vendor controls this pciid so there can't be unintentional collisions. Of course Oracle knows about this since the Virtual Box devs created it, so it is trivial for them to make sure the guest-additions do nothing if they are not running inside of Virtual Box.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”