Show in folder

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
JimP

Show in folder

#1 Post by JimP »

Hi,

I'm new on the forum, so a big hello from Amiens in France (is there a place where new users present themselves ... I couldn't find one).
Anyway, the reason I'm writing is to see if there's a solution to a little annoyance that I encounter every time I use Mx Linux. It really is a tiny little thing - in fact it's the only problem that I encounter with MX Linux which, after 12 years' using Linux, is the best distro I've seen. So, here's my issue: when I download a file, I like to click on the little arrow that appears in the top bar of Firefox and select "show in desktop". This enables me to find what I've downloaded very fast. Whilst in MX Linux, when I do this I get sent to the "downloads" folder and I have to search for the file I downloaded. As I download a lot of files on a daily basis, this can be quite a grind. I've looked for settings to change this both in Firefox and Thunar and haven't found anything. I have two Linux machines, one using Mx Linux and a portable computerr currently on Xubuntu, but soon to change to Mx Linux because I find Mx Linux far superior to Xubuntu :number1: - apart from for this issue. With Xubuntu, when I click on "show in folder" I find the file immediately. It seems to me, then, that the problem is with the version of Thunar packaged with MX Linux as Xubuntu also uses Thunar as the file manager. I'm running MX-17 "Horizon". I don't know what other information you may need about the machine, but here is the result of lscpu

Architecture: x86_64
CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order: Little Endian
CPU(s): 4
On-line CPU(s) list: 0-3
Thread(s) per core: 2
Core(s) per socket: 2
Socket(s): 1
NUMA node(s): 1
Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
CPU family: 6
Model: 61
Model name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-5005U CPU @ 2.00GHz
Stepping: 4
CPU MHz: 1995.326
CPU max MHz: 1900.0000
CPU min MHz: 500.0000
BogoMIPS: 3990.65
Virtualization: VT-x
L1d cache: 32K
L1i cache: 32K
L2 cache: 256K
L3 cache: 3072K
NUMA node0 CPU(s): 0-3
Flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch cpuid_fault epb intel_pt tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid rdseed adx smap xsaveopt dtherm arat pln pts

Thanks a lot!

chrispop99
Global Moderator

Re: Show in folder

#2 Post by chrispop99 »

Welcome JimP.

This is a setting in Firefox. This article should help you relocate downloads to your preferred location - the information is at the bottom of the page:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/wh ... -are-saved

If that's not what you wanted, please post back.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

richb
Administrator

#3 Post by richb »

Awkward but you could add a folder and define it for your downloads in Firefox settings. Then once you find the file(s), move files out of it to the default Download folder. This would keep that new folder fairly clean and easier to find your recent download(s). I could not find a way to do exactly what you want.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

asqwerth
Developer

#4 Post by asqwerth »

In Firefox's preferences:
ksnip_20180317$.png
Set your default download location accordingly or (like me) set it to always ask where to save the file being downloaded.

Xubuntu probably shipped FF with a different download setting; nothing to do with Thunar.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”