[Solved] Problem with MX 17 and HP nx6125

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
acr_korn

[Solved] Problem with MX 17 and HP nx6125

#1 Post by acr_korn »

Hi all,

I have a very very old laptop refusing to die: HP nx6125 - AMD Turion64, 1.5 GB of RAM, Radeon vga card :)

Well, I have tried in the past with some ubuntu based distros and new debian based distros but always I got problems with the CPU usage, it runs on high CPU usage and suddenly shuts down. I was very happy to find out MX linux 16 / 32 bit because it is a debian based distro and it worked well with my old laptop.

Sadly, I've found out that MX 17 is also having issues with that laptop. My guess is that it's a kernel related issue because with some old distros using old kernels there is no problem. So, Is there any tweak that I can use with the current kernel on MX 17 to work with this old hardware? I read in some ubuntu forums that their kernel need to be forced in order to work with old PAE processors.

Has anybody else had the same issue?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Last edited by acr_korn on Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: Problem with MX 17 and HP nx6125

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

acr_korn wrote:Hi all,

I have a very very old laptop refusing to die: HP nx6125 - AMD Turion64, 1.5 GB of RAM, Radeon vga card :)

Well, I have tried in the past with some ubuntu based distros and new debian based distros but always I got problems with the CPU usage, it runs on high CPU usage and suddenly shuts down. I was very happy to find out MX linux 16 / 32 bit because it is a debian based distro and it worked well with my old laptop.

Sadly, I've found out that MX 17 is also having issues with that laptop. My guess is that it's a kernel related issue because with some old distros using old kernels there is no problem. So, Is there any tweak that I can use with the current kernel on MX 17 to work with this old hardware? I read in some ubuntu forums that their kernel need to be forced in order to work with old PAE processors.

Has anybody else had the same issue?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
I suggest using mx-packageinstaller to drop down to the debian 4.9 kernel.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

PAE should not be an issue with the 64-bit processor. Can you run "top" in the terminal to see what's using all the CPU cycles? It sounds like it shuts down to protect itself from overheating, so it probably has a lot of dust and crud in the cooling pathway, too.

bbfuller

#4 Post by bbfuller »

I thought I recognised that model number, so it prompted me to excavate mine from the back of a cupboard.
So far it's installed MX without any problem and is now working through all of the accumulated updates.
I can confirm that processor usage is high while it's doing that, according to Conky it appears to be stuck on 100%. Though gkrellm is reporting a fluctuating usage between 23% and 98%.
Temperatures according to gkrellm are all low except one of the sensors is reporting 100 degrees centigrade. I suspect that reading as there are no hotspots on the casing and it's an odd number to settle on. The rest of the sensors are reporting between 27 and 34 degrees.
Fan is working full speed all the time.
How long does yours run before it gets in to trouble?

acr_korn

#5 Post by acr_korn »

Thank you all for your help.

Well, this machine has been working hard since 2006 and I just clean the dust a couple of months ago so I don't think the issue is dust related.

The CPU usage varies from 28 to 100%, however, when I proceed to install it shuts down in about 10 minutes. The warning from the console is related to overheating but I feel the air of the fan not that hot. Finally, It´s true, the fan runs like a turbine all the time.

I want to highlight that MX 16 works like a charm.

I tested Debian 9.4 and the issue is similar. I've been having this issue with any modern debian derivate distro in the latest 2 years: Kali, ubuntu, mint, etc.

Any ideas to workaround this issue?

Thanks again.

acr_korn

#6 Post by acr_korn »

Hi all,

The good news is that I can install MX-17 using the 64 bit version. It was strange, in the past I had the same issue with the 64 bit version but now it works perfectly. Running some tests, Mint and Kali 64 bit still have the issue, but MX works like a charm.

Thank you for your support. Long live to MX!

Regards,

Jerry3904
Administrator

#7 Post by Jerry3904 »

Great! Please add "[Solved]" to the Subject line of your first post in this thread.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”