Desktop app not working

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
štakor

Desktop app not working

#1 Post by štakor »

So i have a strange little bug. I seem to have lost the ability to right click on the desktop and the desktop application in the settings does not make any changes. It seems to work but nothing happens. So i`m unable to change the wallpaper or any other thing it controls. The background i have set in the lightDM greeter stays after login. Everything else seems to be normal.
So if anybody has an idea where the problem could be i`m all ears.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: Desktop app not working

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

my guess is that xfdesktop isn't running.

from a terminal, try

Code: Select all

xfdesktop &
and see if it comes back.

then check the Startup and Sessions app, on the session tab, to make sure that xfdesktop is listed. If its not, clear all saved sessions, logout, then login.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

štakor

#3 Post by štakor »

Well you where right xfdesktop was not running even do it was flagged as immediate in the startup. For some reason after manualy starting it autostarts.
Thank you for the helping hand. You can flag this post as solved thankfully.

Just to ask, was it just a random thing or did i have a " problem exists between keyboard and chair " situation?

richb
Administrator

#4 Post by richb »

You can mark it solved by adding [Solved] to the title of your first post.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#5 Post by dolphin_oracle »

štakor wrote:Well you where right xfdesktop was not running even do it was flagged as immediate in the startup. For some reason after manualy starting it autostarts.
Thank you for the helping hand. You can flag this post as solved thankfully.

Just to ask, was it just a random thing or did i have a " problem exists between keyboard and chair " situation?
its possible that it was a random crash.

There are a few other ways that xfdesktop can be killed. For instance, using our "app killer" utility could do it if one clicks on the desktop while hunting for an app to kill. also, "foreign' file managers, like nemo, caja, and nautilus (but not kde's dolphin), have been known to take over the desktop, although usually in that case instead of seeing the lightdm wallpaper you usually get a black screen with the xfce panel.

I think the "save sessions" feature, whereby apps that are running at shutdown/logout are restarted at the next login, plays a role here. Its one reason that turning off "save sessions" and clearing all the old saved sessions can help in these cases.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Clive

Re: Desktop app not working [Solved]

#6 Post by Clive »

Disregard my post. Original answers (above) are correct
I have similar problem. Running xfdesktop & gave the following. I'm a noob here. Can anyone help
:root@PresarioC700:/home/clive# xfdesktop &
[1] 4501
root@PresarioC700:/home/clive# Failed to connect to session manager: Failed to connect to the session manager: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed

** (xfdesktop:4501): WARNING **: xfdesktop: unable to connect to settings daemon: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.. Defaults will be used

** (xfdesktop:4501): CRITICAL **: xfce_desktop_new: assertion 'channel && property_prefix' failed

(xfdesktop:4501): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_add_events: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(xfdesktop:4501): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(xfdesktop:4501): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(xfdesktop:4501): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(xfdesktop:4501): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_realize: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(xfdesktop:4501): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_get_window: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(xfdesktop:4501): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_window_lower: assertion 'GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

** (xfdesktop:4501): CRITICAL **: xfce_desktop_set_session_logout_func: assertion 'XFCE_IS_DESKTOP(desktop)' failed
root@PresarioC700:/home/clive#

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”