Repos

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
MisterZ

Repos

#1 Post by MisterZ »

Hi Folks at MX
Having a problem accessing any of the repos ... always getting this message whichever I try ... using MX-16 ...

"GPG error: http://main.mepis-deb.org mx15 InRelease: Clearsigned file isn't valid, got 'NODATA' (does the network require authentication?)"

It happens with every repo I've tried. Thanks in advance ...

MisterZ

timkb4cq
Developer

Re: Repos

#2 Post by timkb4cq »

The main.mepis-deb.org domain has been out of service for about a year now. Change any instances of main.mepis-deb.org in your repository sources to mxrepo.com
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

MisterZ

#3 Post by MisterZ »

Used the MX tools repo manager for this but a no-go ... every time I try to install anything via the MX Package Installer or with Synaptic, updates to apt-get begins but never finishes negotiating the process ... could there be a problem with the last update for the Mx Tools --> MX Package Installer I received this morning ... the issue began after that ... thanks again ...

Stevo
Developer

#4 Post by Stevo »

MisterZ wrote:Used the MX tools repo manager for this but a no-go ... every time I try to install anything via the MX Package Installer or with Synaptic, updates to apt-get begins but never finishes negotiating the process ... could there be a problem with the last update for the Mx Tools --> MX Package Installer I received this morning ... the issue began after that ... thanks again ...
Please show us the results of

Code: Select all

apt update
in the terminal, then. Thanks!

Adrian
Developer

#5 Post by Adrian »

Can you please check something, there might be a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mxtestrepotemp.list file please delete it. It was added by mistake with some kernel updates.

MisterZ

#6 Post by MisterZ »

Yep, that's what did it! Partially solved save for one unexpected surprise ...After the earlier Package manager update, I wanted to install Liquoris from the Test Repo ... that's when apt failed ... did what you recommended and removed the source list in question ... and here's the glltchy part ... My update manager suddenly told me I had 150 updates ... as I normally would, I had them installed only to realize that all upgrade-able apps from the Test Repo got installed ... I don't think I should be overly concerned about the updated software since they will eventually pass from testing to stable ... is it safe to assume?

Whew ... I'm not a Linux newbie at by any stretch, but this one really caught me off guard!
Thanks for your all your quick responses and help ...

MisterZ

MisterZ

#7 Post by MisterZ »

Just a PS on this problem ... I really don't foresee any issues with my unasked-for upgrades ... basic stuff like xorg, xfce, ffmpeg, thunar, a few apps, one of which was Blender that I downgraded to be compatible with the stock version of Openshot. Guess I have inadvertently become a TESTER :number1: . Don't mind at all ... one way to contribute!
For my situation this may be considered as SOLVED ... everything works fine. Hope you folks can get the source-file-thing sorted out so no one else gets the bug.

You have the finest Linux distro I have ever used and I am totally floored by your hard Dev work and support system. Little details like including Nomacs image viewer by default in MX17 is a gem of forethought! Prior to that, because of Libreoffice going to Mirage as an external tool, there wasn't much you could do to tweak an image file in a doc (unless you made Gimp the viewer system-wide! ...big-time overkill!). Now, with Nomacs as default, you can modify and save while working in LibreOffice. Where do I send the beer?

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#8 Post by dolphin_oracle »

we are making some changes to mxpi try to prevent this from re-occurring, thanks.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

MisterZ

#9 Post by MisterZ »

Yeah D-O, it was really weird ... I was in mxpi test repos looking at the section "upgradable", chose Audacity, Audacity Data. It never made it through the sources lists, closed the app. Then following Adrian's advice, deleted the notorious /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mxtestrepotemp.list file, only to find myself upgraded. I'm in my late sixties and my wife is starting to appreciate the new me ;) !

So I guess it's a combination of things that caused apt to "assume" I wanted all this new stuff. In the end, after Adrian's fix, I should have rebooted and done an apt-get update or been super-attentive to apt-notifier's commit ... always a good idea no matter!

Cheers

Stevo
Developer

#10 Post by Stevo »

As far as we know, all those updates you received should not destabilize your system, though some might be even newer than what Debian Stretch has. We recommend a reinstall if you're upgrading to MX 17, anyway.

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”