RE: Power management

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
colin_b

RE: Power management

#1 Post by colin_b »

From the reviews at Distro Watch
One suggestion for MX is to default the software to SUSPEND on laptop lid closing. Don't require a user to find this feature first. I hadn't /discovered/changed the power management settings and when I closed the lid the HDD continued to run--until I opened the lid and then the screen went haywire. I had to hard-kill the computer as it wouldn't stop. Once I selected SUSPEND on lid closing MX has worked great.
Has this, or can this be addressed?

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: RE: Power management

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

by default the screen blanks at the moment. I don't know what "screen went haywire" means, although its possible the screensaver kicked in somehow and caused some confusion or perhaps some problem.

The setting is actually not that hard to find. a right click on the power manager icon in the tray->Power Manager Settings and its on the first settings tab. Its approximately in the same place as it is in Windows (where its been for 15 years or so), so I'm not real sure discovery is that big an issue.

That said, we haven't changed this setting since MX-14, and back then many many laptops had problems with wake up from suspend, which is why our default was set to just blank the screen.

as always, we revisit default settings whenever we make a major or point release. that one has been discussed in the past and I'm sure it will again.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#3 Post by Jerry3904 »

We looked at all these options during the MX-15 cycle, IIRC, and found problems arising for various graphics cards. So we finally chose the option that caused the fewest problems--but perhaps we need to look at it again during the next development cycle.

Have you had the problem he describes?
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

colin_b

#4 Post by colin_b »

Have you had the problem he describes?
No, I just thought it was worth a mention.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#5 Post by Jerry3904 »

Always, thanks.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB

rrhobbs

#6 Post by rrhobbs »

I am new to this forum and MXLinux. So far / so good :)

Altho I am by no means an expert @ any OS, I will say that the majority of problems w Bluetooth / USB I have had with other Linux Distros (and Windows) seem to have been the lack of these feature's abilities to recover from suspend / hibernation (and / or occasionally possibly low battery?).

With Windows I always untick the boxes in the Device Manager that let BT / USB turn off to save power. Maybe not the most "green" solution but I have spent untold hours of valuable time recovering from these maladies otherwise.

For current lack of a better solution, I applaud our MXLinux Admins for defaulting to "turn off screen" settings.

At the same time, I wonder if not letting hdd's "go to sleep" is detrimental and / or shortens the life of i.e. solid state components?

That said, if anybody knows maybe "keep alive" settings for BT / USB for MXLinux (or maybe any other Linux distros) I'd be very happy to know.

And thank you for your patience if I seem naive about anything.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#7 Post by Jerry3904 »

Welcome to the Forum! Not quite sure what you mean by this:
I wonder if not letting hdd's "go to sleep" ...

Mauser

#8 Post by Mauser »

Jerry3904 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:15 pm Welcome to the Forum! Not quite sure what you mean by this:
I wonder if not letting hdd's "go to sleep" ...
It means when a HDD stops spinning like what can be done in gnome-disk-utility 3.30.2 from setting inactivity time but in the poster's case is when the laptop lid is closed without shutting down the computer. This reduces power consumption, wear, and extends HDD life.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

Jerry3904
Administrator

#9 Post by Jerry3904 »

No, I got that. It was the part about MX (?) not "letting" the HDD go to sleep

Mauser

#10 Post by Mauser »

Jerry3904 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:57 am No, I got that. It was the part about MX (?) not "letting" the HDD go to sleep
Oh, O.K. I think the poster was asking if the HDD goes to sleep in MX.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”