Spell check in kwrite editor

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
newguy

Spell check in kwrite editor

#1 Post by newguy »

I installed the KWrite text editor on a fresh copy of MX 17. When I try to spell check a document the editor immediately reports it finished checking the document (though it clearly hasn't checked anything). When I go into the editor settings the spell check tab has a warning at the top of the page saying "No backend found for spell checking".

There are dictionaries on the system, I've got hunspell and the locale-specific dictionaries for hunspell installed. Spell check is working through LibreOffice, so it seems just KWrite is affected.

I suspect the KWrite package is missing a dependency or "recommends" for the necessary spell check backend.

Anyone have a solution for this?

newguy

Re: Spell check in kwrite editor

#2 Post by newguy »

I found the solution. The package "sonnet-plugins" needs to be installed for any KDE applications to use spell check. sonnet-plugins pulls in hspell which is also apparently required. Closing and re-launching KWrite caused sonnet-plugins to be installed and spell check worked.

Suggestion: In the future perhaps packages like KWrite and kde-plasma-desktop could pull in sonnet-plugins automatically to enable spell checking?

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

newguy wrote:I found the solution. The package "sonnet-plugins" needs to be installed for any KDE applications to use spell check. sonnet-plugins pulls in hspell which is also apparently required. Closing and re-launching KWrite caused sonnet-plugins to be installed and spell check worked.

Suggestion: In the future perhaps packages like KWrite and kde-plasma-desktop could pull in sonnet-plugins automatically to enable spell checking?
Great sleuthing, and thanks for the information! I'll update kde-plasma-desktop to pull that in.
Last edited by Stevo on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richb
Administrator

#4 Post by richb »

What still is not working for me is spell check as you type, although it is checked in Preferences. And hspell was listed as a Hebrew dictionary.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

newguy

#5 Post by newguy »

Stevo wrote:
newguy wrote:I found the solution. The package "sonnet-plugins" needs to be installed for any KDE applications to use spell check. sonnet-plugins pulls in hspell which is also apparently required. Closing and re-launching KWrite caused sonnet-plugins to be installed and spell check worked.

Thanks for the information! I'll update kde-plasma-desktop to pull that in.
Just so you know, KWrite can be installed as a standalone package and also needs sonnet-plugins to perform spell check. That is to say, someone could install KWrite without having kde-plasma-desktop installed. I think sonnet-plugins should be a dependency (or at least a recommends) of the kwrite package.

richb
Administrator

#6 Post by richb »

newguy wrote:
Stevo wrote:

Just so you know, KWrite can be installed as a standalone package and also needs sonnet-plugins to perform spell check. That is to say, someone could install KWrite without having kde-plasma-desktop installed. I think sonnet-plugins should be a dependency (or at least a recommends) of the kwrite package.
That is true of many KDE apps including dolphin. It drags in KDE libraries that it needs.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Stevo
Developer

#7 Post by Stevo »

newguy wrote:
Stevo wrote:

The kde-plasma-desktop is just a metapackage that took me a couple of seconds to change and rebuild. I'll change the kwrite depends too, but that's an actual program recompile that will take a lot longer.

Or actually it should be a dependency of ktexteditor-katepart...or libkf5texteditor5.

The OP may have meant hunspell instead of hspell.

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”