Brother DCP-195C scanner not detected

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
denispr

Brother DCP-195C scanner not detected

#1 Post by denispr »

Hello everyone,

This problem happens with libsane 1.0.25-2mx150+1 on Linux amd64 MX 16.1 : simple-scan or any other scanning program complains about not detecting any scanner while sane-find-scanner properly detects it.
(no such problem on a standard Debian Jessie system)
I found a workaround performing "sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/sane /usr/lib", so it looks like the MX amd64 libsane package is buggy.
Regards,

Denis

asqwerth
Developer

Re: Brother DCP-195C scanner not detected

#2 Post by asqwerth »

denispr wrote:Hello everyone,

This problem happens with libsane 1.0.25-2mx150+1 on Linux amd64 MX 16.1 : simple-scan or any other scanning program complains about not detecting any scanner while sane-find-scanner properly detects it.
(no such problem on a standard Debian Jessie system)
I found a workaround performing "sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/sane /usr/lib", so it looks like the MX amd64 libsane package is buggy.
Regards,

Denis
It's not so much an MX package bug as the way Brother sets up its drivers no longer being in line with where distros save certain files.

https://mxlinux.org/wiki/hardware/scanners#Brother

IIRC, Stevo found the solution in an Ubuntu help site, so this will affect various distros.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

denispr

#3 Post by denispr »

Thanks for your answer, next time I'll look at the wiki first.
I just wondered why MX does not stick with the libsane Debian Jessie package that works, but I guess there is some good reason...
Regards,
Denis

asqwerth
Developer

#4 Post by asqwerth »

denispr wrote:Thanks for your answer, next time I'll look at the wiki first.
I just wondered why MX does not stick with the libsane Debian Jessie package that works, but I guess there is some good reason...
Regards,
Denis
It could be that Debian Jessie has older libsane packages than MX, which sometimes has more updated packages than standard Debian.

Perhaps newer libsane packages have moved on and don't save things in the folder that Brother drivers still use and so libsane doesn't bother to create those old folders or symlink to them if these old folders weren't already there previously. I seem to recall having to apply this same fix to more recently installed distros (non Debian/Ubuntu) that are more up to date than Debian Jessie.

The test would be to install a completely fresh Debian Stretch (no preserving of /home partition) and then install the Brother driver to see if it works without these symlink fixes.
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)

denispr

#5 Post by denispr »

Thanks for these explanations,

I remember having the same problem on a Debian Stretch install when it was still at testing stage, and it was fixed when stretch became stable, so it looks like Debian people have taken in account that Brother old style behaviour. I will check on MX 17 when it is out.

asqwerth
Developer

#6 Post by asqwerth »

denispr wrote:Thanks for these explanations,

I remember having the same problem on a Debian Stretch install when it was still at testing stage, and it was fixed when stretch became stable, so it looks like Debian people have taken in account that Brother old style behaviour. I will check on MX 17 when it is out.
The Beta of MX17 will hopefully be out soon, so perhaps you could test this issue?

seorm10

#7 Post by seorm10 »

I totally agree with the point of getting a scanner, but as said, there will always be those of us who demand the quality and ruggedness that only commercial grade gear can offer. New ham gear is much better quality, hopefully uniden catches up too.

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”