Non-Package Request: Encrypted Installation

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
jj 5117

#1 Post by jj 5117 »

I was hoping it would show-up in the last iteration. ... Being as (argumentative as I am) Linux is generally about security, community, and currently tries to attract and Educate new users via dozens or hundreds of competing releases.

I looked at options for disk encryption, but being an older newb who used to dance well with DOS, I know just enough to have trouble. I could probably adopt a Luks fix in hours, days, or weeks--But I would have NO idea of the things to lookout for with MX (or any other flavor), and my level of success would largely be a matter of luck. I REALLY like using MX, and I would LOVE to see rotten snooping tech companies be humbled below gods-of-tyranny levels by MX and other efforts; for the sake of the public, and my petty principles.

I could bore you more. I'll try not to. --- IF I eventually find myself fighting through the process, I'll try to document my efforts and can some script and instruction for others to use. I would not at all mind if someone beat me to it. (Please). Thank you, all.

[On win7 VB machine, no win10 or 8 in use anywhere. Run MX (and other) Linux on this machine via swapping SSDs. SOMEDAY, not too distant, I'll want to play with the newer hot hardware, and win10 can be on my secondary (or tertiary) SSD--Though I wish that would not be necessary.

Thanks again.
Thanks for being there!

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: Non-Package Request: Encrypted Installation

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

This is one of the more requested features.

There is a lot for us to learn with a luks setup, and substantial modifications to the installer to make it work ok. All I can say right now is that luks-style encryption won't be added in the mx-16 series.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

MX-16_fan

#3 Post by MX-16_fan »

@dolphin_oracle:
dolphin_oracle wrote:This is one of the more requested features.

There is a lot for us to learn with a luks setup, and substantial modifications to the installer to make it work ok. All I can say right now is that luks-style encryption won't be added in the mx-16 series.
As soon as you rely on eCryptfs, you might run into the horrible, horrible feature limitation bug I linked to here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ecryptfs/+bug/344878. So I guess this would be a hard one. Greetings, Joe

EDIT: Corrected link to Launchpad discussion about file name limitation in eCryptfs.
Last edited by MX-16_fan on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

MX-16_fan

#4 Post by MX-16_fan »

@dolphin_oracle:
MX-16_fan wrote:@dolphin_oracle:
dolphin_oracle wrote:This is one of the more requested features.

As soon as you rely on eCryptfs, you might run into the horrible, horrible feature limitation bug I linked to here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ecryptfs/+bug/344878. So I guess this would be a hard one. Greetings, Joe
What's the technology used for this in MX-17? Greetings, Joe

EDIT: Corrected link to Launchpad discussion about file name limitation in eCryptfs.
Last edited by MX-16_fan on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#5 Post by dolphin_oracle »

ecryptfs
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

MX-16_fan

#6 Post by MX-16_fan »

@dolphin_oracle:
dolphin_oracle wrote:ecryptfs
Thanks for the information!

Just saw that I had posted a wrong link to the discussion about the master design flaw in eCryptfs. Corrected it (please see above).

Also just re-checked on EncFS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EncFS#No_ ... _filenames) and saw that they are having the same problem.

Seems as if there's still a long way to go for the eCryptfs and EncFS guys. I wonder when this will be fixed. Nearly a decade gone since the first people reported the filename issue on Launchpad, and only half-fixed.

Greetings, Joe

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”