xscreensavers show in panel launcher add list.

kb5050

xscreensavers show in panel launcher add list.

#1 Post by kb5050 »

Hqave noticed this in other Distros with XFCE, so it is possibly for team XFCE to work on.

When you create a Launcher in the Panel, and then do properties, then + to add an item, in addition to all of the menu items in the list, you also get all of the installed
Xscreensaver screensaver names in the list. While it might be nice to actually launch one, if you wanted to, it seems to be a flaw, in that those items which have no icons, are
not applications, They are all the names of the various screensavers.

Now I am not recalling if they show up when you add all the missing Xscreen Screensavers via Synaptic, which I did. Or if the ones that are included show up even from the Live DVD/USB.
But it is seeming useless to have to scroll past all of them to get to the items you do want.

I consider this at the bottom of the list of things to fix. But it is confusing. Thanks for your consideration. I am sure the bug is some configuration of XFCE panel itself.
:happy:

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: xscreensavers show in panel launcher add list.

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

Welcome to the Forum! I have never seen that behavior, and am unable to replicate it here with the default MX-16 setup. It likely belongs to Xfce, so here are the search results for "xscreensaver" on the Xfce Forum:

https://forum.xfce.org/search.php?search_id=2074851014

If nothing there looks useful, then you can always join and ask about it. Good luck.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

skidoo

#3 Post by skidoo »

xscreensaver content is split across multiple debian packages.
Maybe jerry's system has only the "xscreensaver-data" package installed, and that is well-behaved...
...vs packages "xscreensaver-data-extra" and/or "xscreensaver-gl-extra" and/or "xscreensaver-gl" are ALSO installed on kb5050's system
and one of those packages is creating the unwanted .desktop files (detected by the xfce panel}}launcher}}"app chooser" widget).

kb5050, AFAIK nothing "needs" those desktop files.
You can test that theory by deleting the .desktop file associated with a given xscreensaver module
then visit xscreensaver configuration ui and check whether that module is now unavailable. (I don't think that's the case.)

It's been a while (in recent years, I just completely uninstall any xscreensaver* debian packages) but IIRC the quick way to
remove the nuisance you've described was to bulk delete all the the .desktop files from the /usr/share/applications/screensavers directory

kb5050

#4 Post by kb5050 »

I will do a backup first, and then Delete that as per your request. Worst case scenario then might be that I have to go into Xscreensaver configure list, and reactivate all the ones etc.

It seems to me that the whole bunch of them, appear to be treated as applications, that integrate into the Launcher. But if I add one of the screensaver items to the launcher, I cannot launch it from the launcher.

For me it is just a stupid bug, someplace. There is nothing to do other than remove the named screensavers from the launcher, which is really easy.

richb
Administrator

#5 Post by richb »

I do not see this behavior either and I do have xscreensaver-data-extra", "xscreensaver-gl-extra" and "xscreensaver-gl" installed. What version of MX and XFCE do you have installed?
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#6 Post by JayM »

I'm able to replicate it in MX-19 after installing xscreensaver from Popular Apps. I also installed three extra xscreensavers (BSOD, dizzy and one other one) from Stable Repo. The individual screensavers show up as though they're apps that can be added to a launcher in the panel. Since the original post was from 2017 this seems to be something in common with more than one version of Xfce, 4.12 (I assume that's what MX-17 used as it was Stretch-based just like MX-18.x) and 4.14. There have been no bug reports filed against xfce-panel about this on https://bugzilla.xfce.org/.

Edit: the additional xscreensavers I installed don't appear in launcher properties as apps that can be added to the launcher, just xflame, xjack, xlyap, xmatrix, xrayswarm and xspirograph. It could possibly be a bug in the xscreensaver package that causes it to present individual screensavers as applications, or just be the way xscreensaver is (I noticed that the individual screensavers are xml files stored in /usr/share/xscreensaver/config, and launchers are also xml format .desktop files, so ??) rather than a bug in Xfce.

Edit 2: I don't know why on my system (MX-19 in a VM) only those xscreensavers are showing up as addable items in a panel launcher when there are a lot of others that don't appear. (See attachment.) I compared some of the xml files of some of the ones that appear in launcher with some that don't and the formats look identical.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”