Remove screen tearing using Compton

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
KoO

Re: Remove screen tearing using Compton

#21 Post by KoO »

Their is a new video about this..Everyone seems pretty happen with the results.. Nvidia only
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYWer86A20s
Main : MX 19.1-AHS (i3) 5.4.13-1~mx19+1, Asus B450-i AMD 5 3600 , 32gb Hyper-X 3200 , GTX970 . :linuxlove:
Lenovo T430 : Debian10 antiX17 (i3) , 4.20.12 , i5 , 12gb .
Lenovo X220 : Test Machine (ATM)

BobbieAN

Re: Remove screen tearing using Compton

#22 Post by BobbieAN »

Jeremy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:01 am
colin_b wrote:I have got a humble spec PC - Intel Celeron G1610T 2.3GHz, GeForce GT 710 2GB DDR3 (Nouveau drivers), 8GB RAM.

The above Compton settings worked fine for removing video tearing but I still had some stutter when playing videos on YouTube etc.

I am a born tinkerer, so I decided to explore and test some of Compton's numerous settings, most are shown at https://github.com/chjj/compton/wiki/perf-guide.

After many attempts I have come up with a setup which totally eliminates tearing and drastically reduces video stutter. As a suggestion, would it be possible to give the Compton manager the option of 3 startup modes which can be set with something like checkboxes.

1) Default - Basic Compton startup (should work on all machines)
2) Faster - compton --backend glx --paint-on-overlay --vsync opengl-swc (should work on most machines)
3) Fastest - compton --backend glx --unredir-if-possible --glx-no-stencil --glx-no-rebind-pixmap --glx-swap-method buffer-age --vsync opengl-swc (might need a reasonably modern video card)
Thanks for the info, I tested all 3 of them.
  • 1) still gave me a little bit of tearing,
  • 2) no tearing, absolutey perfect,
  • 3) gave me "local 2D fuzzy tearing" in VLC, depending on the displayed scenes
Instead of adding the compton command in auto start, I would suggest to modify the compton.conf file, accessible in MX Tools -> Tweak -> Compositor
Find and edit the following lines:

Code: Select all

backend = "glx";
[...]
paint-on-overlay = true;
[...]
vsync = "opengl-swc";
The advantages of doing it through the compton.conf file is that you will be able to edit all the rest of the parameters as well, and you will be able to use the compton settings GUI. Finally, the Tweak GUI will be more coherent as well, since the settings visible in compositor tabs are the ones currently in use, instead of being a second compton process which will never run because you launched your one custom compton command first
I edited the .conf file, restarted MX and then desktop froze after I enter pass on the login screen. How can fix this and reset .conf file to the default values?

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”