[Feature proposal] Check file systems on startup, including root partition

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
MX-16_fan

[Feature proposal] Check file systems on startup, including root partition

#1 Post by MX-16_fan »

COMMENT: I noticed in the meantime that checking the root partition on boot isn't a standard feature in every Linux distro, so I changed the subject from "Bug? ..." to "[Feature proposal] Check file systems on startup, including root partition". And I deleted the word "btrfs", since this doesn't seem to be file system specific.

I have MX-16 installed on an USB stick with btrfs as the root file system.

When I boot the machine MX-16 gives me a warning that the root file system has not been checked for integrity because it is btrfs. I suppose this is a bug.

Just to explain why I chose btrfs instead of ext4: Trying out installation several times, I found that the system was much faster on btrfs than on ext4. (Unfortunately this was only the case until right after installing. After doing the first sudo apt-get upgrade, it's now pretty slow and Firefox tends to hang, but that would obviously be a different thing to discuss and therefore a different posting.)

Greetings, Joe

Since my initial posting, I found out that while checking a root partition on boot is a little tricky, it apparently can be done. Please see instructions here: https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-force-fs ... t-on-linux, some discussion here: https://superuser.com/questions/401217/ ... -with-fsck and a script that might be helpful here: http://andicelabs.com/2014/07/automatic ... pair-boot/.

My proposal would be to implement a GUI option in MX-Tools where users can determine which media / partitions are to be checked on startup (e.g. "all attached" / "root partition only"), and how often this is to be done (after every [number] boot). What do you think?

Greetings, Joe

MX-16_fan

Re: [Feature proposal] Check file systems on startup, including root partition

#2 Post by MX-16_fan »

This seems to be fully solved in MX-17. Correct?

If so, I'd mark this "[SOLVED in MX-17]".

Greetings, Joe

MX-16_fan

#3 Post by MX-16_fan »

@dolphin_oracle:

On an MX-17.1 test system, I now see a file system check at boot, even when the main partition's file system is btrfs. So, is my assumption correct that I can mark this thread "SOLVED"?

I'm asking this especially because the check never is a full check of the whole medium. It's always "so and so many of so many total checked", wherein the two numbers never match. Maybe this is because MX-17.1 doesn't check the swap partition, or the MBR, or something else?

Greetings, and have a nice weekend, Joe

mbooyzen

#4 Post by mbooyzen »

Could it be the dynamic sizing of btrfs filesystem. So only checking the used part?
MX 21.3 KDE
Intel i5 8400, 16GB ram, Nvidia GTX-1050.

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”