Request: Platinum Arts Sandbox Game Maker

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
megatotoro

Request: Platinum Arts Sandbox Game Maker

#1 Post by megatotoro »

Hi,

It is a tool for making 3D games but I use it for my classes.

Although the package is in the repos, it used to connect to the developer's site to download the files needed. Nowadays, the package does not do anything so my guess is that the developers changed something when they released a new version. I've tried to run the Windows version with wine but it does not work. The older multiplatform version don't seem to work, either.

Is it possible to package a new version or to make the current package download what's missing?

Thanks!

v3g4n

Re: Request: Platinum Arts Sandbox Game Maker

#2 Post by v3g4n »

2.8.2 is the newest version according to their site and that is the version that is in the repo. Will have to look at it further later since I'm not near an MX computer.
http://www.sandboxgamemaker.com/free-ga ... -download/

megatotoro

#3 Post by megatotoro »

v3g4n wrote:2.8.2 is the newest version according to their site and that is the version that is in the repo. Will have to look at it further later since I'm not near an MX computer.
http://www.sandboxgamemaker.com/free-ga ... -download/
Thanks! I failed to mention that I tried that one, too. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I'm on MX-16, BTW.

megatotoro

#4 Post by megatotoro »

Has anyone been able to run it successfully? I've started to suspect that the problem is Wine... Ubuntu 16.10 did not run it until I installed Wine. MX-16(64bits) still doesn't run it after installing Wine from the package installer tool.

PlatinumArts

#5 Post by PlatinumArts »

Hi, this is Mike from Platinum Arts Sandbox. I randomly came across this post. I don't have a lot of experience with the Linux version of Sandbox but I'd love to help. I did notice that the package on ubuntu is not working properly. My efforts to contact the guy who maintained it for us have gone unanswered. I did try to figure out how to contact Ubuntu about it but I have not been successful. Do you happen to know who I could contact?

I wonder what we could have changed to cause the problem. I did do a new website, but it was still the same domain. Is the package looking for the files at a certain link?

From my understanding you should be able to load the program by downloading it as well and using the Linux binary. I do have a Linux computer I could test on but not sure when I'd be able to schedule it. Hopefully sometime in the near future.

Thanks for your patience with this issue and for posting something about it. Take care.
-Mike
PS Also I would love to hear more about your use of the software in the classroom. I started the project for my students and that is what it is all about to me. Please feel free to e-mail me at PlatinumArts@gmail.com

Stevo
Developer

#6 Post by Stevo »

Ubuntu copies their packaging over from Debian, so going to the original maintainer is the thing to do.

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/sandboxgamemaker

Though if it's broken, it needs a bug report filed against it...but I get the same result as the bug report from 2014:

Code: Select all

$ sandbox_unix 
Using home directory: /home/steve/.platinumarts/
init: sdl
init: net
init: game
init: video: mode
init: video: misc
init: gl
Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 (Skylake GT2)  (Intel Open Source Technology Center)
Driver: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.6
Rendering using the OpenGL GLSL shader path.
could not load texture data/notexture
could not find core textures
Perhaps the package is now orphaned. :frown:

Some wild speculation is that whatever they removed to make it "dfgs" had something to do with the core textures?

PlatinumArts

#7 Post by PlatinumArts »

I apologize for the delay responding. I have my Ubuntu computer up and running again and hope to solve this problem. The original engine is Cube 2 and I know it works on Linux. I'm hoping that maybe the way Cube 2 launches on Linux will work for Sandbox.

PlatinumArts

#8 Post by PlatinumArts »

Hi, I finally got a chance to test Sandbox on linux! And thankfully, I had success!

I'm using Ubuntu 18.04

I downloaded the software from the website - https://SandboxGameMaker.com
In the base folder directory there is a file sandbox_unix and I executed the file and Sandbox loaded!

Let me know how it goes for you! Sorry this help has taken so long to arrive, I hope you have the best time ever using it!
-Mike
Owner of Platinum Arts

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”