Whisker menu oddness

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: Whisker menu oddness

#21 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Ancient_Hermit wrote:Now I'm focusing more sternly over this, and I just spotted another program vanish from "other" - it is called zygrib, does weather really good, nothing else comes close in fact. It is normally there, but now it's not.

Actually I did run it earlier, but from panel. I shall log out later and then see if it returns after that. If so then maybe running an item is a trigger for it to somehow go missing like that. :confused:
Linux or wine?
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Ancient_Hermit

#22 Post by Ancient_Hermit »

ok, can confirm that theory, logging out then back in restores the missing item.

Sort of sadly I ran it and it did not then disappear. I say sadly, but that is just said from a "finding a way to repeat it" perspective. ;)
Cheers,
Ian

Ancient_Hermit

#23 Post by Ancient_Hermit »

dolphin_oracle wrote:
Ancient_Hermit wrote:Now I'm focusing more sternly over this, and I just spotted another program vanish from "other" - it is called zygrib, does weather really good, nothing else comes close in fact. It is normally there, but now it's not.

Actually I did run it earlier, but from panel. I shall log out later and then see if it returns after that. If so then maybe running an item is a trigger for it to somehow go missing like that. :confused:
Linux or wine?
Linux, sadly. :frown:
Cheers,
Ian

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#24 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Ok. but this is progress towards diagnosis.

I want to set up a duplicate system. How did you install zygrib? from the main repos or from another source?

fyi we've had the ear of both the xfce devs and the whiskermenu dev in the past for fixing bugs we've uncovered. If we can pinpoint yours, then we might get some love from upstream.

Ancient_Hermit

#25 Post by Ancient_Hermit »

dolphin_oracle wrote:Ok. but this is progress towards diagnosis.

I want to set up a duplicate system. How did you install zygrib? from the main repos or from another source?

fyi we've had the ear of both the xfce devs and the whiskermenu dev in the past for fixing bugs we've uncovered. If we can pinpoint yours, then we might get some love from upstream.
Well if it's in synaptic, which I feel it might be, then I probably did it that way. I went through a short phase of not entirely trusting that route and opted to do it with apt get but don't think zygrib was installed that way. We would have installed that one early as that is a long standing program of interest. Version is 6.2.3 if it helps. Got it full with all maps. When you first install, so as not to feel too lost, make sure you take JUST wind arrows, from weather map menu. Drag out an area of interest with the mouse pointer, then CTRL+D, enter to start a download, then enter again to save it, Zygrib will then show you what it has grabbed.

Hope the quick guide helps. ;)
Cheers,
Ian

anticapitalista
Developer

#26 Post by anticapitalista »

Zygrib doesn't appear to be in the Debian or MX repo. Maybe that is why it is causing issues.
Just because someone packaged it as a deb does not mean it is compatible with MX (or Debian)
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#27 Post by dolphin_oracle »

anticapitalista wrote:Zygrib doesn't appear to be in the Debian or MX repo. Maybe that is why it is causing issues.
Just because someone packaged it as a deb does not mean it is compatible with MX (or Debian)
6.2.3-1 is in jessie repo.

I'm going to install it and see what happens.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#28 Post by dolphin_oracle »

that is a serious weather app!

and the jessie version does go into the "other" menu category.

more info as I have it.

FYI Ancient_Hermit, synaptic is a front end for the apt tools, so installing with synaptic is more or less identical to apt-get, at least on the backend. synaptic does hide some output behind little arrows that you can click while install is happening so you can see the terminal output.

Ancient_Hermit

#29 Post by Ancient_Hermit »

anticapitalista wrote:Zygrib doesn't appear to be in the Debian or MX repo. Maybe that is why it is causing issues.
Oh ok, must have got it from the web site then, I mean if it's not in the repos, then what else would happen? I apologise for what seems to be my memory on this. It has been a busy and eventful move from Windows to Linux. Faulty memories happen as one ages I have found! ;)

Anyway, it runs fine, just that the menu seems not able to work with it. <shrug>

I guess that it works says a fair bit about it's being able to do it's job. <shrug>

If there was super wonderful version available then obviously I could use that and it should be much better from what you imply.
Cheers,
Ian

Richard

#30 Post by Richard »

dolphin_oracle wrote:are all the items wine related?
No, I don't have Wine installed.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”