News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Resizing images in Thunar with a right click made easy

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
m_pav
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Resizing images in Thunar with a right click made easy

Post by m_pav » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:13 pm

I have found a method that uses a tiny script file and a minor modification to the Thunar custom action menu which allows very image resizing in Thunar.

I was wondering if the clever community packagers could make this into an installer because I have found a number of people asking how to resize images by using a right click in Thunar, and it would be easy to simply tell them to install a package from the CR, plus, I'm sure hundreds of others would dearly love to have this ability.

Here's the script which I called resizeimg

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh                                                                                                                     
mkdir -p ./Resized/$1
for file
    do
    if [ ! -e $file ]
        then
        continue
    fi
    toname="./Resized/"$1"/"$( echo $file | cut -f1 -d.)"_"$1".jpg"
    convert -geometry $1x$1 -quality 90 "${file}" "${toname}"
done
In Thunar, all that's required is to make copy the script above to a new file, name it whatever you like, mark it as executable, then create a custom action in Thunar. The command I use for the custom action to resize to 1360 wide is below and the condition for the option to appear is if the file is an image. Of course, a few versions can be made for differing sizes, just replace the 1360 with another number of your choice, so on my laptop, I have one entry for 800 and another for 1360

Code: Select all

/home/michael/bin/resizeimg 1360 %N
Here's a snapshot of how it looks. The icons I used are from kdenlive, but better icons could be used for the custom actions.

Mike P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Mine)Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSHD, MX17 64-bit
(Wifes) Asus M4A88TD-M, AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU, nVidia GF610, 6Gb, 500GB+320GB, MX17 + KDE
(Kids) Intel NUC, J1900, 4GB, 64GB SSD, MX17

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”