XFWM compositor settings

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
colin_b

XFWM compositor settings

#1 Post by colin_b »

Some of the shadow settings (eg "show shadow under regular windows") don't seem to be working. When the aforementioned is selected on MX16 shadows immediately appear under windows, whereas on MX17 nothing seems to happen.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: XFWM compositor settings

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

colin_b wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:52 pm Some of the shadow settings (eg "show shadow under regular windows") don't seem to be working. When the aforementioned is selected on MX16 shadows immediately appear under windows, whereas on MX17 nothing seems to happen.

I can't duplicate this one. the shadows under windows are working correctly here. on my machine, its pretty subtle but present.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

colin_b

#3 Post by colin_b »

For some reason they're not showing on mine. Could it be because I'm running a live USB?

Anyway, it's of no real problem to me, I just thought I'd give it a mention.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#4 Post by dolphin_oracle »

colin_b wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:14 pm For some reason they're not showing on mine. Could it be because I'm running a live USB?

Anyway, it's of no real problem to me, I just thought I'd give it a mention.

live or not shouldn't matter. I suppose video driver in use might. I'm using the intel.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

colin_b

#5 Post by colin_b »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:35 pm I suppose video driver in use might. I'm using the intel.
Nouveau drivers here.

dreamer

#6 Post by dreamer »

Shadows are often defined by the window manager theme - in this case your xfwm theme. Some themes have very subtle shadows or no shadows at all. One thing that struck me is that an xfwm theme can define window placement. I set xfce to center windows, but one theme opened windows in upper left corner. So I looked at the xfwm theme file and found a line that defines placement. After I commented out that line the xfwm theme respected xfce placement settings.

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”