PT-BR Translator

For suggestions, procedures and requests for translations of documentation and apps to languages other than English.
Mccartney

PT-BR Translator

#1 Post by Mccartney »

Hi!

I'd like to help translating to Portuguese (Brazil), if there is need, of course.
I'm following the steps I found here: https://mxlinux.org/wiki/translations/p ... ordinator/ - "Post it on the translation forum", but I'm not sure I'm in the right place...
Anyway, I hope this gets to where it should :)

Ana
Ana Castro

mccartney.criss@gmail.com
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better" Dr Seuss.

Old Giza

Re: PT-BR Translator

#2 Post by Old Giza »

Welcome. There is always need! pt_BR is 90% complete, but that still means there are 571 strings looking to be translated.

Those steps are for the coordinator of all translations. You want these steps.

If you encounter any problems or need further explanation, please post here, or send me a personal message. Good luck!

Huckleberry Finn

#3 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

Giza, (although out of topic) just by the way; when do the translations you do, or correct, take effect.. On each point release etc.? ( I did many corrections other than new translations and now 2/3 of my language is complete .. - was 47% only - )

Also, I wish there was a way (maybe a new project, just a rough idea) to see pictures (screenshots) of what to be translated - pictures of the English version only -. This way translations would be almost perfect. (Because i.e. when you know if a sentence is a text on a button or a suggestion / directive, it needs to be translated differently on many languages.. Otherwise it may look strange when you see it )

Old Giza

#4 Post by Old Giza »

I noticed all the recent work you have done. Thank you. There is no set schedule for inclusions of translations. I keep track of how much work is being done, and when there is enough to justify the effort of rebuilding the apps, then I gather them up and send them off for updating in the apps. So it can be sporadic. But definitely there is a greater urgency to get them included before releases as you say. Even if they aren't there for the release, they will appear shortly afterwards as part of the regular apt-notifier (or Synaptic) updates. But for sure it's nicer to have them on the iso.

I get what you are saying about seeing in context the strings to be translated. It would be so much easier, and remove a lot of guesswork. I do give some information about this at the bottom of the wiki article referenced, but I realize it's not very practical or convenient. I'll think about a better way, like providing screenshots as you suggest.

Huckleberry Finn

#5 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

Old Giza wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:12 am I get what you are saying about seeing in context the strings to be translated. It would be so much easier, and remove a lot of guesswork... I'll think about a better way, like providing screenshots as you suggest.
Thank you. My suggestion is to make it voluntary again just like translations. Since it will be about the screenshots only in English, and something easy, many MX users and forum members will do it in a short time I guess.

Just take screenshot and upload to xxx ( at least to make it simple and quick for now - maybe an MX site or another suitable site.. just need to mark them on a list and let people know (like in translations) what's done and what remained.. ( I wish there was a way in Transifex, they would be all together. Maybe they consider it later..)

Also, (just calculating roughly) currently it looks there're about 6300 strings. But it doesn't mean a picture's needed for every single one... Say, when you open a menu or an application (i.e. MX Snapshot or the MX Installer) and take a picture, there're already 10 - 20 items (strings) altogether in 1 picture.. So I mean, it won't require thousands of pics, but will be only a few hundred, even not 1000 .. And when it's voluntary, such a number is nothing for whole MX enthusiasts..

This is just to make it perfect, "fine tuned".

Thank you again. ( And sorry dear moderators, if this needs to create another topic and move there. :) )

Return to “Translations”