I want to Translate English to Bengali!

For suggestions, procedures and requests for translations of documentation and apps to languages other than English.
srabon

I want to Translate English to Bengali!

#1 Post by srabon »

Hello,
I am new here, so forgive me for any mistakes.
I would like to translate English MX Linux into Bengali.
Please let me know what to do or how to start?
Thanks in advance.
:cat:
Infinity and Beyond :cat:

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: I want to Translate English to Bengali!

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

Welcome, and thanks! Take a look at this Wiki article to start with:

https://mxlinux.org/wiki/translations/m ... ranslator/
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Utopia
Administrator

#3 Post by Utopia »

And if your language isn't in the list at the antiX language page, there's a "Request language" button at the top right.
Henry

srabon

#4 Post by srabon »

Utopia wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:38 am And if your language isn't in the list at the antiX language page, there's a "Request language" button at the top right.
Henry
I requested for a new language. It's pending I think.

Fibogacci

#5 Post by Fibogacci »

srabon wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:44 am Hello,
I am new here, so forgive me for any mistakes.
I would like to translate English MX Linux into Bengali.
Please let me know what to do or how to start?
Thanks in advance.
:cat:
Hello and welcome ;)

According to Wiki (here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bengali_language) there are 260-300 million speakers worldwide, so you can do a great favour to a huge number of users by translating MX Linux.

Actually, making such a translation, you can have a big, positive impact on their lives.

I wish you strength and perseverance in translating. Good luck!

Edit:

I've checked Transifex, there is Bengali 0%, so probably your request was already accepted or maybe it was there earlier, because I can see date 23rd of June.

MX-18 Continuum x86_64: laptop Dell Inspiron N7110, Intel Core i5-2410M @ 2.900GHz, 4GB RAM, Kernel: 4.19, DE: Xfce

srabon

#6 Post by srabon »

You are right! A lot of people speak this language! Actually It was one of the main languages in South Asia.

Yes, now I am working on that! I am trying to install Bengali keyboard on MX Linux. I am used to use Phonetic Bengali keyboard on Windows. On MX Linux, only Provat layout is available which is I am not known of.

rasat

#7 Post by rasat »

srabon wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:41 pm You are right! A lot of people speak this language! Actually It was one of the main languages in South Asia.
Namaskar, amar nam Markku. Bangla has a Sanskrit root so there are similarities in South East Asia such are Malaysia and Indonesia. I was in South EA (1983-1997), also visited often Calcutta (Kolkata). Bangla is spoken in West Bengal (India) and Bangladesh (~250 million). If you get MX Linux translated to Bangla will be great. It has its own script (50 characters ??), or will you use phonetics?

Fibogacci

#8 Post by Fibogacci »

srabon wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:41 pm You are right! A lot of people speak this language! Actually It was one of the main languages in South Asia.

Yes, now I am working on that! I am trying to install Bengali keyboard on MX Linux. I am used to use Phonetic Bengali keyboard on Windows. On MX Linux, only Provat layout is available which is I am not known of.
Maybe I could help. Is it Phonetic Bengali (screenshot below)? (Sorry for random letters, I don't speak/write Bengali (yet ;))

There is also very nice application to learn touch typing - Klaviro. But I don't know what type of Bengali (phonetic or not) it is there.

So, if on the first screenshot is Phonetic Bengali, I've found the solution here:
https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2396

I've tested it in Virtual Box, with such steps:

1. I've downloaded .deb file in terminal (keyboard shortcut F4, full screen F11) with:
wget https://github.com/maateen/avro/release ... -1_all.deb

(or it can be downloaded in browser)
https://github.com/maateen/avro/release ... -1_all.deb

2. Installation in terminal:
$ sudo dpkg -i avro_2.0-1_all.deb

(or in Thunar file manager: right click on the file and Open it with GDebi)

3. There was dependency error so in terminal:
$ sudo apt-get install -f

4. Next, I've installed ibus (Inteligent Input Bus) - it is in MX Package Installer, tab Stable Repository

5. In start menu (Whisker) I've typed ibus and run the program

6. In second tab, Input methods, I've chose Add, found Bengali and chose Avro Phonetic.

7. In Notification area there should be icon, which allows changing keyboard type (click with left mouse button).
MX-18 Continuum x86_64: laptop Dell Inspiron N7110, Intel Core i5-2410M @ 2.900GHz, 4GB RAM, Kernel: 4.19, DE: Xfce

rasat

#9 Post by rasat »

Fibogacci wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:52 pm So, if on the first screenshot is Phonetic Bengali...
Phonetic Bengali is not a different script but using English letters. Same how I introduced myself in my previous post: "Namaskar, amar nam Markku (Salute, my name is Markku). With Bengali scripture it would have been something like this (not sure if its correct): নমস্কার, আমার নাম মার্ক্কু

Return to “Translations”