Please translate new installer strings

For suggestions, procedures and requests for translations of documentation and apps to languages other than English.
Old Giza

Please translate new installer strings

#1 Post by Old Giza »

Hello translators,

We are getting closer to the new release, and with that come some translation changes reflecting new features. First and most importantly, the Gazelle Installer has been revised to support partition encryption. There are 21 new strings totalling 215 words in the gazelle-installer resource on Transifex. Please post any difficulties here. (And note that "LUKS" stands for "Linux Unified Key Setup" and should probably remain untranslated.)

Thank you for your continued support and efforts!

Old Giza

Re: Please translate new installer strings

#2 Post by Old Giza »

*bump*

If you have not had the opportunity to input your translations for the new gazelle-installer phrases, I hope you will be able to soon. It would be great to have them available for the beta which will be coming out shortly.

Thank you!

Richard

#3 Post by Richard »

...and Thank you. :)
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

Adrian
Developer

#4 Post by Adrian »

Thanks, done my part. Just one thing, don't worry about translating that 0000000 string...

PPC

#5 Post by PPC »

Just finished the Portuguese (pt-pt) translation (the small part that was still untranslated). Someone please review it...

Side note- thanks to the folks that did the heavy lifting, translating about 90% of it but... The translation seemed a bit "rude" :-)- I'll explain- in the error messages that started with "sorry", the previous translators opted to leave the apology out of the portuguese versions of the messages. I changed a small part of that, but noticed that was a translator's option (like translating password as "senha" and not "palavra-passe" that I would use if translating from scratch) and stopped doing that, and just translated the missing parts...
So I ask the development team, should I insert the apologies on those messages?

P.

Old Giza

#6 Post by Old Giza »

should I insert the apologies on those messages?
Thanks for completing the translations!

I don't think it's necessary to be totally consistent between translated messages on the use of "Sorry". There are probably many places where the "Sorry" could have been left out - or added - on the English original. Feel free to change those phrases if you think it makes them read better for your intended audience.

Adrian
Developer

#7 Post by Adrian »

I could have used more terse messages that are easier to translate "Could not create partition" instead of "Sorry, could not create partition"... at some point we'll probably need to review the wording in the installer but not this time.

Old Giza

#8 Post by Old Giza »

No problem. I noticed that you use "Sorry" mostly when the user has requested an action, and it can't be carried out, as opposed to an error message where the user has made incorrect input. That sounds good.

Zeh

#9 Post by Zeh »

PPC wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:28 am Just finished the Portuguese (pt-pt) translation (the small part that was still untranslated). Someone please review it...

Side note- thanks to the folks that did the heavy lifting, translating about 90% of it but... The translation seemed a bit "rude" :-)- I'll explain- in the error messages that started with "sorry", the previous translators opted to leave the apology out of the portuguese versions of the messages. I changed a small part of that, but noticed that was a translator's option (like translating password as "senha" and not "palavra-passe" that I would use if translating from scratch) and stopped doing that, and just translated the missing parts...
So I ask the development team, should I insert the apologies on those messages?

P.
Hello PPC,
I'm the one who've done the bulk of the translation. So, here you have some reasoning for it.
Each person has its own view on translating - some translate everything literally, others prefer to import "technical" terms (loan words) in their own languages, hence leave a lot of words untranslated, etc. I try to translate everything I can find a reasonable translation for (under my criteria, of course) and I'm not a advocate of literal translations. Besides, being just a plain user of software and seeing the movement towards linux systems, I'm always thinking about the newcomer to linux (in particular to antix/MX), trying to provide clear information in Portuguese rather than literal translations (whether I achieve my goal or not, that's a different matter). Regarding the "sorry" thing, there are two reasons for me not to have kept it: firstly, speaks of English use that expression a lot more than we, speakers of Portuguese, use its equivalent (are we less polite? I don't think politeness can be measured that way); secondly, it's difficult for me to help fostering this thing of interacting with a computer as if it were a person (I can accept that this may be something personal but it is the way I feel).
Glad to have someone else involved in translating antix/MX into Portuguese.

Return to “Translations”