[Solved] Translation of items on the antiX menu

For suggestions, procedures and requests for translations of documentation and apps to languages other than English.
anticapitalista
Developer

Re: Translation of items on the antiX menu

#11 Post by anticapitalista »

Zeh - the link to Gitlab has the translation in Portuguese/Brazil. Maybe that will help you.

Thanks for helping with the translations.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Zeh

#12 Post by Zeh »

OK. I'll try to get it and use it.

Zeh

#13 Post by Zeh »

anticapitalista wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:41 am Zeh - the link to Gitlab has the translation in Portuguese/Brazil. Maybe that will help you.
Yes it helps, but not entirely. Here and there the pt_BR translation shows the relatively common issue in these kind of translations (including my own in some cases) - translating the text not having the context.
An other difficulty I'm having is getting to the running apps that would give the context. For instance, I don't know how to get to the entries related to mail in a running icewm, and I couldn't find any icewmbg in the repos, just to give two examples. I'd appreciate if any one could give me an hand at this regard.

Utopia
Administrator

#14 Post by Utopia »

icewmbg = a background settings manager for the IceWM window manager. Googled to find out.
Found some other difficulties: Are we supposed to translate words like Ma_ximize and R_aise? What is the _ doing there?
Henry

Zeh

#15 Post by Zeh »

Thanks Henry, for coming on board.
Utopia wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:22 am icewmbg = a background settings manager for the IceWM window manager. Googled to find out.
The issue is I can't run it to see the strings in their context, since I don't find it neither in the system nor in the repos. And there are other similar cases, I gave this one just as an example. Obviously, I'm missing something here regarding to getting the app running.
Utopia wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:22 am Found some other difficulties: Are we supposed to translate words like Ma_ximize and R_aise? What is the _ doing there?
The underscores are there just to mark the letter that becomes the shortcut.

Gordon Cooper

#16 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Hi Zeh. In this thread you have mentioned Brazil. Is there much difference between Portugese as written in Europe and what they use in Brazil ? I have read that
Brazilian is a dialect of the mother language, that can happen within a single country but in this case it two countries. Different dictionaries ?

Gordon.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

Zeh

#17 Post by Zeh »

Hi Gordon,
It was anticap that pointed me to a BR translation in Github.
The relation between pt_BR ant pt_PT is about the same as the relation between en_US and en_GB. So, there are terms which users of each variant of the language use differently, despite both being perfectly correct. But while localizing there are some differences that must be taken into account as we know.

Anyway, the main issue is having the strings in context to make proper translations. The BR translation in case shows clearly in some strings that it was done just following the text in the file, not having the strings in context. I'm made the same "mistake" myself in the beginning, since I was a lot more inexperienced at the time, and I felt I'd never have manage to get everything translated if I were to make all the more difficult translations in context. I assumed that it'd be better to have not so good translations than not to have everything translated. I've gained some experience meanwhile and at this point I don't have the pressure of having to get to the end anymore, so I'm trying to do things properly now, reaching better quality, if you will. I'm even going to try to revise all my translations.

Utopia
Administrator

#18 Post by Utopia »

The underscores are there just to mark the letter that becomes the shortcut
Are they visible to the user? Don't want to translate them if it changes the default shortcuts.
Henry

Zeh

#19 Post by Zeh »

Utopia wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:51 am
The underscores are there just to mark the letter that becomes the shortcut
Are they visible to the user? Don't want to translate them if it changes the default shortcuts.
Henry
They appear as in Copy and Cut. They're used typically in menu bars, menus, and dialog boxes/windows.
They're a different type of shortcuts that work in parallel with the "regular" ones and have nothing to do with the latter. Regular shortcuts can be whatever the devs (and the translators, if I've got it right) want them to be.

To activate a menu bar you press Alt. Then, to choose one of the menus press the underscored letter in its name. With the menu activated, press the underscored letter (if any) in the name of the function you want to use. If in the same menu (or dialog box) there are more than one "line" with the same underscored letter, pressing it will only select the first occurrence and you'll have to press Enter to activate the function. If you want to activate the next function in which name the given underscored letter occurs you'll have to press twice on it so that the highlighting will jump to and select the next occurrence (and then Enter to activate).
The same with context menus, window menus, dialog boxes/windows.

Utopia
Administrator

#20 Post by Utopia »

Thanks, understand it now. Was very confusing at first.
Found another Swedish translation at OpenSuse, but they had skipped the underscored words completely.
Henry

Return to “Translations”