Translation of app names

For suggestions, procedures and requests for translations of documentation and apps to languages other than English.
Utopia
Administrator

Translation of app names

#1 Post by Utopia »

If everyone knows the apps by the same name, it will be easier to ask for support. In my opinion, we make it more difficult for the users by over-helping them.
In the Swedish language, English names are acceptable and recognized as names. Only translated in children's books.
Don't know how other languages treat English names?
Henry

cyrilus31

Re: Translation of app names

#2 Post by cyrilus31 »

In Sweden and in general in scandinavian coutries, most people are fluent in english, don't care if series are undubbed and so on.
I can assure you in France we have quite a different vision and we tend to translate most things.
Honestly I can't imagine not translating app names in french.

Utopia
Administrator

#3 Post by Utopia »

With such a different treatment of names, we could make things more flexible. English names in languages where they can be used and translated names where they must be used. Now we have one size fits all.
Henry

ekeimaja

#4 Post by ekeimaja »

Why should the whole translations be changed if it bothers only you? :hmm: Even though as a Finn (Finnjävel!) I understand English, I want to use my own native language as much as possible, because I understand it best and I also want to mutiny to this current fashion to praise only English language and keeping your own native language embarrassing.
Desktop: AMD 3700X, 32 Gb RAM, RX 5700XT (MX 23.1)
Laptops: Juno Nyx 15 v1, Intel i5-10210U, 16Gb RAM (MX 21.2)
Asus Eee 1005P, Intel Atom N450, 2 Gb RAM, Intel GMA3150 (MX 21.2)

Utopia
Administrator

#5 Post by Utopia »

Why should the whole translations be changed if it bothers only you?
What I meant was to allow more freedom for the different translators to use whatever they like for the name, English or a translation.
Henry

Jerry3904
Administrator

#6 Post by Jerry3904 »

That seems like a very reasonable position, Henry, and should finish off this topic nicely!
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

cyrilus31

#7 Post by cyrilus31 »

Utopia wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:32 am
Why should the whole translations be changed if it bothers only you?
What I meant was to allow more freedom for the different translators to use whatever they like for the name, English or a translation.
Henry
It is MX linux here, not MS, Apple or any big company. Do your best with good spirit is the only thing that matters, anyway that's my motto.
If you prefer keeping app name as it is, who am I to criticize your choices? Please share with your compatriots and give the translation that suits best to your thinking :happy:

Return to “Translations”