-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Please translate gazelle-installer

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Please translate gazelle-installer

#21 Post by fehlix » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:50 pm

I've gone today again through all gazelle-installer strings für hunting german spellings and wordings thingies. There migth be some fine-tuning ones for tech-grammar and tech-spell gurus. But 'm pretty sure it's now kind of newbie-safe :happy:

Old Giza
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#22 Post by Old Giza » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:11 pm

Thanks for doing that!

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#23 Post by fehlix » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:32 pm

As it was so much fun yesterday I couldn't resist today and I've been in 3rd round again through all the 181 text-strings of the gazelle-installer. And yes true - I found some more spellings and grammar issues. And guess what, I've managed also to iron out a couple (and some more) of machine-based wrongly made translations into something more understandable and even more important corrected the inaccurate or even false content within the translated text. Sometime I felt something wrong with that content. English is often more clear short and precise. The issue comes when you have machine-translated content into German with some manual corrections applied already. There is a fine grade that this end up with effectively being false information/message. Sure a non-tech user would probably not realize something is wrong. Tech-savy user might would get not so good impressions with the first important program like the installer they would use.
In addition to that I do also have seen longer text-strings where I feel that even the original english content is kind of at least debatable.
Who best to discuss this kind of corrections within orignal englsih text-strings as I certainly don’t like to put those here into the forum.

Old Giza
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#24 Post by Old Giza » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:57 pm

fehlix wrote:In addition to that I do also have seen longer text-strings where I feel that even the original english content is kind of at least debatable.
Who best to discuss this kind of corrections within orignal englsih text-strings as I certainly don’t like to put those here into the forum.
I'm sure the English text can always stand more polishing. You can send me a PM.

Old Giza
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#25 Post by Old Giza » Tue May 01, 2018 7:54 am

Please revisit gazelle-installer on Transifex. There are more strings to translate, 1 very long one and 9 short ones.

Thank you.

Edit: Note that the only change to the very long string is the insertion of the phrase: "Additional compression options are available for drives using btrfs. Lzo is fast, but the compression is lower. Zlib is slower, with higher compression." and surrounding formats. So you can use your suggestion (make sure it's the right one), copy the English phrase and format blobs from the English source, and overwrite the English with your translation.

linwinux

#26 Post by linwinux » Tue May 01, 2018 10:39 am

Additional compression options are available for drives using btrfs. Lzo is fast, but the compression is lower. Zlib is slower, with higher compression.
Zusätzliche Kompression-Funktionen gibt es für Laufwerke mit btrfs. Lzo ist schneller, aber der Kompressionsfaktor dafür geringer. Zum Vergleich ist Zlib dagegen langsamer, aber mit höherer Kompression versehen.

Eadwine Rose
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#27 Post by Eadwine Rose » Tue May 01, 2018 10:45 am

Did you put this in transifex where it should be? :)
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon 14-3-2018 * 4.15.0-1-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.12.3 * AMD Asus M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 * ASUS GF GT640-1GD5-L NVIDIA 384.130 * AMD Proc. Athl II X4 635, sAM3 * HDA ATI SB VT1708S An * 2x4Gb DDR3 1600 Kingst * 22" Samsung SyncM P2250 * HP F2280

linwinux

#28 Post by linwinux » Tue May 01, 2018 11:58 am

Sorry, no. I'm still in the process of setting up the finishing touches on my own system, so I haven't really had a lot of extra time for the transifex yet. I was under the impression, from reading this post, that one of the posters was already using the official translation system. So I thought that they'd just be able to do a quick copy/paste for that one line. Figured that was better then nothing at all ...
Sorry ...

Eadwine Rose
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#29 Post by Eadwine Rose » Tue May 01, 2018 12:16 pm

All you need to do for Transifex is to set up an account and ask to be added to the project language.
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon 14-3-2018 * 4.15.0-1-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.12.3 * AMD Asus M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 * ASUS GF GT640-1GD5-L NVIDIA 384.130 * AMD Proc. Athl II X4 635, sAM3 * HDA ATI SB VT1708S An * 2x4Gb DDR3 1600 Kingst * 22" Samsung SyncM P2250 * HP F2280

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#30 Post by fehlix » Tue May 01, 2018 1:46 pm

I've translated the remaing one already.
I'm not sure about the following:
ModelText
LayoutText
VariantText
As they look like fixed, internal strings not to translate
which is simlar to strings like ext3,ext4, btrfs etc.
Any idea how translate those?
Either ModelText -> ModelText or "ModelText" "Modell", etc.

Return to “Translations”