Please translate gazelle-installer

For suggestions, procedures and requests for translations of documentation and apps to languages other than English.
fehlix
Developer

Re: Please translate gazelle-installer

#31 Post by fehlix »

linwinux wrote:
Additional compression options are available for drives using btrfs. Lzo is fast, but the compression is lower. Zlib is slower, with higher compression.
Zusätzliche Kompression-Funktionen gibt es für Laufwerke mit btrfs. Lzo ist schneller, aber der Kompressionsfaktor dafür geringer. Zum Vergleich ist Zlib dagegen langsamer, aber mit höherer Kompression versehen.
@ linwinux: The above is not the correct german translation of orignal english in context of the installer menu! You can lookup my translations I made and write me a PM if you want to diskuss.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#32 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Those three things, I left them as they were.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

fehlix
Developer

#33 Post by fehlix »

Eadwine Rose wrote:Those three things, I left them as they were.
Thanks. Will do the same!
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

cyrilus31

#34 Post by cyrilus31 »

Same here!

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#35 Post by Eadwine Rose »

It's not like I know for sure, but this didn't look like they should be translated *giggle*
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator

linwinux

#36 Post by linwinux »

fehlix wrote:
linwinux wrote:
Additional compression options are available for drives using btrfs. Lzo is fast, but the compression is lower. Zlib is slower, with higher compression.
Zusätzliche Kompression-Funktionen gibt es für Laufwerke mit btrfs. Lzo ist schneller, aber der Kompressionsfaktor dafür geringer. Zum Vergleich ist Zlib dagegen langsamer, aber mit höherer Kompression versehen.
@ linwinux: The above is not the correct german translation of orignal english in context of the installer menu! You can lookup my translations I made and write me a PM if you want to diskuss.
You are incorrect. I am a German Citizen with University Education, having built literally hundreds of Computers during the past 27 years, in both America as well as in Germany. I have also provided professional computer tech support and Windows tutoring in both languages. Aside from that I've published computer hardware/windows support pages (in German) as far back as 2006. The translation of that line is 100% accurate !!! I do not know what appears before or after that line, but that particular line has been translated absolutely perfectly. I take offense to your broken english comments, trying to tell me how to speak/translate the German language ... in which I am as fluent as with my English.

Ich kann das ganze auch gerne nochmal in Deutscher Sprache wiederholen. Vielleicht verstehst du ja Deutsch besser als Englisch, denn Englisch ist auf jeden Fall (auch) nicht deine Muttersprache. Ich brauche keine PM von dir, denn ich weiss ganz genau was ich schreibe, und wie man von Englischer Sprache zur Deutschen Sprache übersetzen muss ... oder auch umgekehrt ...

And just for fun, how about this?
google_translation.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#37 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Moderator comment: Let's not fight over who can speak or write German, English or Gaelic for all I care, better. This forum is not for hashing out those differences, so you can take that off the forum and up in PMs if you have to. Thanks.

linwinux

#38 Post by linwinux »

Well to me, this goes a lot deeper than you can be aware of, which is precisely why I had to make a public declaration ... just as Fehlix did. Not only am I native born to Germany (Frankurt am Main), but I actually held a German/English - English/German Translator certification from 1981 to 1987. Started dabbling with computers for fun in 1988 and really got involved with computers more seriously in 1991. I'm also a perfectionist (ugh), so when I make a translation it means a lot to me, for that translated string to be as "natively" perfect as possible. Verbatim translations only go so far, it's how someone speaks natively that's really important. Oh and just for the record, I didn't learn English until I was 12 years old, no kidding.

Now picture yourself at a business function (that's how I view anything that I do as a professional), talking to a group of your peers in your own native mother-language, and suddenly some person that you've never met before walks up to you and your group, proclaiming in front of everyone (like this forum) that what's coming out of your mouth is all wrong.

Say what you will about PMs and keeping things nice, but there's no doubt in my mind that your very first gut reaction to this person would be ... "Huh, who the heck is this person, what are they talking about and why is this person talking down on me about the way that I communicate in my own mother-language?" "Why is this total stranger trying to embarrass me me right in front of my peers?"

I get what you're saying and you're absolutely right. A forum shouldn't be for squabbling and petty disagreements. But what Fehlix posted was not just offensive to me, it also made me wonder if it's even feasable for me to start doing actual translations by utilizing Transifix for MX ... as long as people like Fehlix are the ones who are doing the proof-reading and/or making corrections? In a post by someone else, he responded by saying that after the translations already took place, he found "very many errrors" which included "whole strings" of text translations. Obviously, my own translations would be completely out of place in such an environment.
That's it, all done. Just wanted my position about the seriousness of proper translations understood. No matter "how petty" my efforts may be, I take them very seriously ...
PEACE

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#39 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Linwinux, I have told you to leave all this off the forum. You can contact a mod or admin about your grievances. Warning issued.

cyrilus31

#40 Post by cyrilus31 »

Linwinux, I think you're a bit too sensitive about computing (Remember, I'm the harsh guy :p )

Honestly I do not think fehlix said your translation had to be tossed out, but it needs some adjustments to fit the context.

Instead of a public debate, you should PM each other and cooperate to make the best german translation ever :hug:

Return to “Translations”