Please translate gazelle-installer

For suggestions, procedures and requests for translations of documentation and apps to languages other than English.
fehlix
Developer

Re: Please translate gazelle-installer

#21 Post by fehlix »

I've gone today again through all gazelle-installer strings für hunting german spellings and wordings thingies. There migth be some fine-tuning ones for tech-grammar and tech-spell gurus. But 'm pretty sure it's now kind of newbie-safe :happy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Old Giza

#22 Post by Old Giza »

Thanks for doing that!

fehlix
Developer

#23 Post by fehlix »

As it was so much fun yesterday I couldn't resist today and I've been in 3rd round again through all the 181 text-strings of the gazelle-installer. And yes true - I found some more spellings and grammar issues. And guess what, I've managed also to iron out a couple (and some more) of machine-based wrongly made translations into something more understandable and even more important corrected the inaccurate or even false content within the translated text. Sometime I felt something wrong with that content. English is often more clear short and precise. The issue comes when you have machine-translated content into German with some manual corrections applied already. There is a fine grade that this end up with effectively being false information/message. Sure a non-tech user would probably not realize something is wrong. Tech-savy user might would get not so good impressions with the first important program like the installer they would use.
In addition to that I do also have seen longer text-strings where I feel that even the original english content is kind of at least debatable.
Who best to discuss this kind of corrections within orignal englsih text-strings as I certainly don’t like to put those here into the forum.

Old Giza

#24 Post by Old Giza »

fehlix wrote:In addition to that I do also have seen longer text-strings where I feel that even the original english content is kind of at least debatable.
Who best to discuss this kind of corrections within orignal englsih text-strings as I certainly don’t like to put those here into the forum.
I'm sure the English text can always stand more polishing. You can send me a PM.

Old Giza

#25 Post by Old Giza »

Please revisit gazelle-installer on Transifex. There are more strings to translate, 1 very long one and 9 short ones.

Thank you.

Edit: Note that the only change to the very long string is the insertion of the phrase: "Additional compression options are available for drives using btrfs. Lzo is fast, but the compression is lower. Zlib is slower, with higher compression." and surrounding formats. So you can use your suggestion (make sure it's the right one), copy the English phrase and format blobs from the English source, and overwrite the English with your translation.

linwinux

#26 Post by linwinux »

Additional compression options are available for drives using btrfs. Lzo is fast, but the compression is lower. Zlib is slower, with higher compression.
Zusätzliche Kompression-Funktionen gibt es für Laufwerke mit btrfs. Lzo ist schneller, aber der Kompressionsfaktor dafür geringer. Zum Vergleich ist Zlib dagegen langsamer, aber mit höherer Kompression versehen.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#27 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Did you put this in transifex where it should be? :)
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

linwinux

#28 Post by linwinux »

Sorry, no. I'm still in the process of setting up the finishing touches on my own system, so I haven't really had a lot of extra time for the transifex yet. I was under the impression, from reading this post, that one of the posters was already using the official translation system. So I thought that they'd just be able to do a quick copy/paste for that one line. Figured that was better then nothing at all ...
Sorry ...

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#29 Post by Eadwine Rose »

All you need to do for Transifex is to set up an account and ask to be added to the project language.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

fehlix
Developer

#30 Post by fehlix »

I've translated the remaing one already.
I'm not sure about the following:
ModelText
LayoutText
VariantText
As they look like fixed, internal strings not to translate
which is simlar to strings like ext3,ext4, btrfs etc.
Any idea how translate those?
Either ModelText -> ModelText or "ModelText" "Modell", etc.

Return to “Translations”