About translation of Japanese translation

For suggestions, procedures and requests for translations of documentation and apps to languages other than English.
Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: About translation of Japanese translation

#11 Post by Jerry3904 »

I am not sure I understand exactly:

1) "I'm reverting fu-sen's translations." If you are referring to his translations of MX applications, what are you reverting them to, exactly? The English original?

2) I may be the only one who does not understand what you mean by "License violation." Which License are you referring to, please?
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

cyrilus31

#12 Post by cyrilus31 »

wow it's a big mess.

Concerning revision of translation, obviously not many translations are reviewed as we are not so many translators.

Everybody understand Fu-sen used automatic translation tools like google translation. And indeed from what you pointing out there are many errors (even in katakana). I'm not a member of MX but can't you work together to improve the existing translation? (and I'm dumb but I still don't understand the License violation)

Jerry3904
Administrator

#13 Post by Jerry3904 »

+1
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB

Richard

#14 Post by Richard »

IMHO, for me, I find correcting large machine translations incredibly difficult/boring.
Translating from the source is much preferred for accuracy.
A Computer Assisted Translation (CAT) software tool makes it even better.

Google translations are good for phrase translations.
I just read that Google Translate is getting even more accurate.

https://betanews.com/2015/03/09/google- ... translate/
The tests show that Google Translate has come a long way since its 2001 launch. It does a pretty good job of getting the gist of a text or recording, certainly enough for basic understanding. However, it still struggles with capturing nuance and its translated texts suffer from poor word choices that harm readability.

So whilst it's a good choice for day-to-day tasks where you need a translation fast, it seems Google has some way to go before it can be relied on for commercial documents.
I don't understand the license issue, but then I haven't read their
Google Translator license.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

anticapitalista
Developer

#15 Post by anticapitalista »

night1ynx wrote:I'm reverting fu-sen's translations.

because two reasons for reverting:
1) His translation works cause license violation (talked by ne-yo)
2) His translations are messy, that included many mistakes and unreadable Japanese.

e.g)
- antixcckeyboard.pot: "British" -> "イギリス語" (means: British language, probably English, not GB keymap)
- iso-snapshot: "Used space on /home" -> "/home の空き容量" (means: Free space on /home)
- antixccmouse.sh.pot: "Change mouse motion" -> "マウスポジションの変更" (means: Change mouse position)
and more...

Japanese Linux people can search/read easy English if not translated. but they are can't even arrival this forum from search engine if messy translation.

Japanese translations for MX Linux had not reviewed by anyone (at least Japanese people). I think we *MUST* need reviewing/discarding his translations in any case.

If MX Linux team think his translations don't cause License violation, I'm prepared recover and review his translations.
(but I believe that discarding and re-translating are faster than reviewing his translations...)
Please stop removing the original content from that transifex site (which actually 'belongs' to me) and recover the originals that you have deleted/removed until we come to some agreement about the Japanese translations. Thank you.
Last edited by anticapitalista on Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Jerry3904
Administrator

#16 Post by Jerry3904 »

Thanks.

night1ynx

#17 Post by night1ynx »

Hi, Jerry3904-san, cyrilus31-san
Jerry3904 wrote:1) "I'm reverting fu-sen's translations." If you are referring to his translations of MX applications, what are you reverting them to, exactly? The English original?

2) I may be the only one who does not understand what you mean by "License violation." Which License are you referring to, please?
1) "reverting" means that "delete (deactivate) his translations on transifex".
2) GPLv3 (MX application's License) and each EULA of Translation Service.

For example, many web-based Translation Service allow "personal use" only
(i.e. disallow commercial use without individual contract).
However, FLOSS collaboration work is not "personal use".
These translations are created by illegal action. We have a risk when using these translations.
I think the limitation can't match FLOSS licenses (include GPLv3) and FLOSS projects.

Also, I don't talk about Google translator.
fu-sen said "I use multiple web-based Translation Service" and show part of using service list.
(see also: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubunt ... 07356.html)

I know, "No license" binary/source is not free.
However, he said "I use web-based Translation Service that have no EULA (contract)".
Is this free?
cyrilus31 wrote:I'm not a member of MX but can't you work together to improve the existing translation?
It is difficult, but my goal is not reverting.

I want to improve experience for Japanese users.
I didn't revert all of his translation. I reviewed his translations before revert, leave a few translations.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#18 Post by Jerry3904 »

I'm not persuaded about your position given this statement:
Therefore, there is no sentence clearly copy and pasting the web translation as
it is in my translation.
I check translations, my own or from Google Translate, all the time against multiple sources.

You have the Transifex project owner's request before your eyes: WE EXPECT YOU TO COMPLY at your earliest convenience.
Please stop removing the original content from that transifex site (which actually 'belongs' to me) and recover the originals that you have deleted/removed until we come to some agreement about the Japanese translations. Thank you.

Adrian
Developer

#19 Post by Adrian »

many web-based Translation Service allow "personal use" only
[weasel words] You use a generalization about a specific case, if you want to show that something is done illegally you need to show what specific license was not respected not use arguments like "many..."
These translations are created by illegal action.
You make a claim without any proof.

night1ynx

#20 Post by night1ynx »

Sorry...

I misunderstood.
I thought anticapitalista said "Please stop removing and stop recovering (Note: it means you must not do any action) until we come to some agreement".

OK. I will recover translations as soon as possible.

Return to “Translations”