Wiki translations

For suggestions, procedures and requests for translations of documentation and apps to languages other than English.
Jerry3904
Administrator

Wiki translations

#1 Post by Jerry3904 »

Peregrine and I have created the ability for people to add Wiki translations, following a request from the French translators. Click on the Wiki link at the top of the page, and you will now see below the title a hyperlink to the French Wiki (only one ATM). Click on that and you will come to the French Wiki home page; categories in the left panel that have no translated documents carry a hash mark in front of them (e.g., #About) so users don't have to look all over to find an entry.

Our first goal is to get the HELP files translated, then UEFI and Remaster
, since they are probably the most often used and are all listed in the Manual. Here is the general Procedure:
  • copy the HELP file you want to translate and paste it into a LibreOffice document
  • if there is an image, it will come along, so leave it there for now; when you have time, it would help a lot if you could make a screen capture of the translated GUI and send it to me
  • translate the file
  • get it to me by PM, or email to stormyjerry AT gmail DOT com
  • I will post it in the correct Wiki, and Peregrine will create a new Wiki page for it if one does not exist
  • We will notify you of new and revised HELP files by PM
The nice thing about this project is that it consists of small independent texts, so the work can be done whenever you have a few minutes of time. If people translate the 27 HELP files at the average rate of one per day, then we should be all done by New Year’s Day. Is that possible?!
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Gordon Cooper

Re: Wiki translations

#2 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Looks like a great project. A comment about pasting into Libre Office. The smallish Help files should be easy. Anything with an Index or Table of Contents that
has internal links for jumping to a section or page will lose those links in the pasting. Index/ToC can easily be re-created using LO's Insert Tab, there is an option in the popup. Remember to delete the old one.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

Spartak77

#3 Post by Spartak77 »

Very well jerry!
I will send you the translation in Italian of some topics of the wiki, in the coming days.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#4 Post by Jerry3904 »

Terrific, Spartak. Please focus on the HELP files first, I'm pretty confident they are the most important for users.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB

Spartak77

#5 Post by Spartak77 »

"UEFI" and "MX Remaster" has already been translated into Italian. I translated them for my personal interest. So I was thinking of sending you these two. Then for the next I will focus exclusively on the help files. I haven't time in this month to translate new topics in the wiki because I want to use my little free time to update as soon as possible the translation of the MX 16 manual.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#6 Post by Jerry3904 »

"UEFI" and "MX Remaster" has already been translated into Italian. I translated them for my personal interest. So I was thinking of sending you these two.
Very good additions, grazie. I will add them to my OP.

cyrilus31

#7 Post by cyrilus31 »

Yes. Translation is a full time job and very time consuming ;)

cyrilus31

#8 Post by cyrilus31 »

French translation of Wiki help files sent to Jerry. A drop in the ocean of work to be done but I hope it will be useful one day.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#9 Post by Jerry3904 »

Thanks--I was going to announce this after I got it up in the Wiki. This is GREAT!

For other translators: this is a great project to tackle b/c it breaks down into small steps that can be taken whenever there is time. I would love to see us have more complete sets of HELP files for the MX applications in the near future.

cyrilus31

#10 Post by cyrilus31 »

Oops sorry Jerry. I made the first move but I shouldn't have :p

Return to “Translations”