How to register and use Transifex

For suggestions, procedures and requests for translations of documentation and apps to languages other than English.
Jerry3904
Administrator

How to register and use Transifex

#1 Post by Jerry3904 »

[Please add to or correct this]

Registration
You need to be added to a translation team for a language before you can work on it.
  • Go to the registration page
  • Fill in the fields and click "Create my account".
  • You will get an email for confirmation with a link that you need to click to complete your registration.
  • Then go to the Development page
  • Click on the language you are interested in
  • Click on the green button "Join team"
  • Now go back to Development page and click on your language
Use:
  • Click on one of the items in the list (e.g., mx-codecs) for your language to begin.
  • To enter a new translation, highlight the string and type the translation into the blank space in the right column below the English string
  • To correct an existing translation, simply delete the old translation being shown, add the new one and save. The old translation will stay in the version history and can be restored if needed.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

eugen-b

Re: How to register and use Transifex

#2 Post by eugen-b »

I'll add some things about Transifex, where I got start:
- You don't need to get an electronic approval to join the team, you simply can start. I guess, if you write xxxxxxx there, anticapitalista will ban you.
- There is a function "add suggestion". This might make you think, that you can make a suggestion if you have a better transalation than the already available one. No need to bother, suggestions are not being used by the team, simply overwrite the old translation and save. The old translation will stay in the version history and can be restored if needed.
MX-14 on a Via Eden 1GHz CPU thin client, 3GB RAM, Via VX800 chipset, Via Chrome9 HC GPU, 32GB M.2 SSD;
btrfs with @ and @home subvolumes for MX-14;
added @antiX and @antiXhome subvolumes and copied antix 13.1 base into them, adjusting Grub from MX-14.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#3 Post by Jerry3904 »

You don't need to get an electronic approval to join the team, you simply can start.
I'm not sure that is correct, remember the trouble you had at first? Can anyone confirm the need to respond before starting?
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB

eugen-b

#4 Post by eugen-b »

Jerry3904 wrote:
I guess, if you write xxxxxxx there, anticapitalista will ban you.
I'm not sure that is correct, remember the trouble you had at first? Can anyone confirm the need to respond before starting?
I've just checked the emails I got from Transifex: I needed to confirm my registration, but I think this was an automatic procedure. Then I got an introductory email and a newsletter lately. I think my trouble was not that I haven't been approved to join the team but because I didn't click the button propperly.
But best would if anticapitalista would tell us whether he needs to approve an application to join the translation team.

Whatever the exact procedure may be, I was able to join the translation team and it was a great fun and a pleasure to translate for MX.

PS: Sorry for swearword!
MX-14 on a Via Eden 1GHz CPU thin client, 3GB RAM, Via VX800 chipset, Via Chrome9 HC GPU, 32GB M.2 SSD;
btrfs with @ and @home subvolumes for MX-14;
added @antiX and @antiXhome subvolumes and copied antix 13.1 base into them, adjusting Grub from MX-14.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#5 Post by Jerry3904 »

But best would if anticapitalista would tell us whether he needs to approve an application to join the translation team.
I sent a PM or email to ask him to, but do not actually know if he did that.
Sorry for swearword!
Forum software replaced it with "xxxxx" !

anticapitalista
Developer

#6 Post by anticapitalista »

I didn't need to approve eugen-b. In fact he had already started posting before I got the email off Jerry.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Return to “Translations”