New and improved apps need translating

For suggestions, procedures and requests for translations of documentation and apps to languages other than English.
Old Giza

New and improved apps need translating

#1 Post by Old Giza »

Hello translators!

On Transifex there are several apps that are either new or have been revised and need your translation skills:
  • antiX-cli-cc
    backlight-brightness
    cli-aptiX
    cli-shell-utils
    console-font-select
    console-width-select
    console-lib-menu
    live-init
    live-initrd-init
    live-umount
    live-usb-storage
You may already have tackled some of these. You can, as always, get a quick overview of what resources are outstanding for your language by hovering over your language line on the dashboard page and clicking "View resources". The outstanding ones will be at the bottom of the list.

Be forewarned that a couple of these resources have quite a few strings. So give yourself a boost by starting with the resources that have only a few strings!

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

Re: New and improved apps need translating

#2 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Dutch DONE!!

Geez, that was a lot of text alright.. oof ;)
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

Zeh

#3 Post by Zeh »

In live-unmount I don't understand "seed" in the context "Saving random seed". Could anyone give me a hint, please? Thanks.

Old Giza

#4 Post by Old Giza »

A "seed" is the starting point for creating a sequence of random numbers. It should vary so that you don't get the same sequence of random numbers each time - otherwise, they wouldn't be so random.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_seed

Zeh

#5 Post by Zeh »

Thank you. It's the first time I come across this expression and I've found it very strange. It didn't occur to be to look for it as such, instead of word by word. Something to improve.

I'm in the process of translating the new files and I'm thinking about revising the previous translations, since particularly the newcomer my not get the best impression if the texts show unnatural wording or spelling mistakes. In my case, there are issues like my lack of in depth knowledge of some technical terms, the difference in syntax between English and my own language, Portuguese (in fact all Romance languages), and the typos that I have difficulty to avoid entirely in a first stage.
I'd like to know, then, if there is a way for me to see the texts (originals and/or translations) in their context, for instance, having labels together with the information they explain and that sort of aggregation of information plus the information that runs too fast in the process of initiating or finishing for one to be able to read it all.

BitJam
Developer

#6 Post by BitJam »

Zeh wrote:I'd like to know, then, if there is a way for me to see the texts (originals and/or translations) in their context, for instance, having labels together with the information they explain and that sort of aggregation of information plus the information that runs too fast in the process of initiating or finishing for one to be able to read it all.
Usually the best way to do this is to run the program the translation is for. You may need help figuring out which program corresponds to a transifex resource name. Some may be obvious.

If you run the program from the command line then you can easily control what language is used. For example, if you want to see the Dutch translation of live-usb-maker then do:

Code: Select all

LANGUAGE=nl sudo live-usb-maker
This is the same as running "sudo live-usb-maker" but it uses the Dutch language. If you don't need root privileges to run the program then omit the "sudo" like this:

LANGUAGE=nl antiX-cli-cc
If you have set your default language to something other than English then use "LANGUAGE=en" to see the original English version of the strings when you run the command. You should be able to run both command line programs and GUI programs this way.

Some of these translations are for the live boot system and the text there does fly by pretty fast. I could provide you with a list of the resources involved if you want. There are two ways around this. If you use the "bp=b9" cheat then the boot process will pause when the live initrd is done and you will be able to see the text on the screen for as long as you want. In addition, the text on the screen (and other text that is not translated) goes to the log files /var/log/live/initrd.log and /var/log/live/live-init.log. I use the following commands to view these files:

less -R /var/log/live/initrd.log.color
less -R /var/log/live/live-init.log
The majority of our transifex resources are for programs I didn't write. For most of those, running the program is the best way to see the strings in context. I suggest starting them from the command line as I explained above. Use "sudo" if you need to run them as root and use "LANGUAGE=xx" to control which language is displayed.

Finally, for some of the programs you can get my code directly from my git repos and then run it right in your copy of the repo. This is a little more advanced so some people may not be ready for this yet. That's fine, just skip it. Here are the commands to do this:

sudo apt-get install git
mkdir git-projects
cd git-projects
git clone https://github.com/BitJam/cli-shell-utils
git clone https://github.com/BitJam/console-grid-gui
git clone https://github.com/BitJam/live-usb-maker
git clone https://github.com/BitJam/live-kernel-updater
git clone https://github.com/BitJam/cli-aptiX
This will create the directories: cli-shell-utils, console-grid-gui, etc in your current directory which is why I added the "mkdir" and "cd" commands. This will cause the git repos you clone to be placed in the git-projects directory that was just created. The name "git-projects" can be anything you want.

To run the antiX-cli-cc, do the following:

cd console-grid-gui
bin/antiX-cli-cc
The commands backlight-brightness, console-font-select and console-width-select are also available the same way.

To next run cli-aptiX do:

cd ../cli-aptiX
sudo ./cli-aptiX
This also works for live-usb-maker.

I could also give you instructions for testing your latest translations inside of programs without waiting for package updates, at least for most projects that use the .po file format for translations.

Edit: "apt-get git" --> "apt-get install git". Thanks Zeh!
Last edited by BitJam on Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

cyrilus31

#7 Post by cyrilus31 »

Woaa bitjam thank you so much. So many tricks I didn't know but that are so helpful.
They should be "stickied" somewhere.

Zeh

#8 Post by Zeh »

@BitJam
Thanks a lot for all this information. I believe I'll be able to improve my translations of the trickier points by using it.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#9 Post by Jerry3904 »

@Old Giza: maybe add/link this somewhere to your Wiki articles?
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

cyrilus31

#10 Post by cyrilus31 »

BitJam wrote: I could also give you instructions for testing your latest translations inside of programs without waiting for package updates, at least for most projects that use the .po file format for translations.
Yes please :happy:
I need this before MX 17 is launched.

Return to “Translations”