News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Better Arc Theme Window Manager

Show us how you are setting up MX-14!
asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Better Arc Theme Window Manager

Post by asqwerth » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:03 am

Bamber wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:43 am
One of best themes for Xfce is this https://www.opendesktop.org/p/1207818/ although it's GTK3 (it works on older Xfce versions but it's borked in parts).
One thing that sets it apart is that the fonts are reasonably dark and provide a proper contrast with the background. The current trend for light gray fonts that are difficult to read, or just impossible on longer texts, is one of the scourges of the internet; more and more sites insist on it too. MX's Greybird could do better in that regard.
Paulxfce is a registered member of this forum. Unfortunately his focus for XFCE is the newer Ubuntus and other distros that are already using the gtk3 version of whisker and Thunar (and maybe the rest of xfce??). That's why his latest version of that theme probably won't work in MX. But if you go to the archives of that opendesktop page, and try version 1.6, it should work, although you might want to change the colours for certain elements.

See this thread: viewtopic.php?p=432955#p432955

You will see in that post that I also agree with you about the trend for light grey text.

I did colour tweaks on ver 1.6, partly to adjust for the fact that paulxfce's theme was made for gtk3 whisker menu:

viewtopic.php?p=443726#p443726
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Bamber
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: Better Arc Theme Window Manager

Post by Bamber » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:06 am

Thanks for the answer.

Return to “Themes and Screenshots”