News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

xfwm borders theme

Show us how you are setting up MX-14!
Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: xfwm borders theme

Post by Stevo » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:13 pm

Arc-theme just does a lot of CPU-intensive rendering when I build the packages from the source, not when you use them!

For xfwm, it installs a bunch of png files that were rendered from the svg file during the package build--that's why I have have to edit the width of the border elements in the svg file before the package build. Other xfwm themes use bitmap png or xpm format files from the start. Other DEs such as Cinnamon, Unity, and GNOME 3 directly support svg theme elements, so that's what it installs for them.

In the wiki, I would mention the ocs-url option for easily installing themes from the opendesktop.org pages with a couple clicks, too. This one( 2ndlooks) has nice thick borders, too, if you don't mind the WinXP style buttons--I like them because they are easy to see and click, even if they aren't "modern": https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1078835/

Mauser
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by Mauser » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:05 pm

asqwerth wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:28 am
Don't just change the theme; change the Window Manager theme as the latter is what sets the window bar design and borders for many (not all) programs like Thunar.

Open MX-Tweak, click on the second button at the bottom called Window Manager, and try a few WM themes. Some are more grabbable than others.

You can also add this versatile WM theme called, not-very-imaginatively, "borders".

Go to my post in this other (newer) thread: viewtopic.php?p=479776#p479776

download the archive file from the given link, extract the contents to: $HOME/.themes

Then open Window Manager again and apply "borders" to be your WM theme.
Thanks. I found it.
Last edited by Mauser on Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am command line illiterate. :confused:

Mauser
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by Mauser » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:08 pm

Stevo wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:13 pm
Arc-theme just does a lot of CPU-intensive rendering when I build the packages from the source, not when you use them!

For xfwm, it installs a bunch of png files that were rendered from the svg file during the package build--that's why I have have to edit the width of the border elements in the svg file before the package build. Other xfwm themes use bitmap png or xpm format files from the start. Other DEs such as Cinnamon, Unity, and GNOME 3 directly support svg theme elements, so that's what it installs for them.

In the wiki, I would mention the ocs-url option for easily installing themes from the opendesktop.org pages with a couple clicks, too. This one( 2ndlooks) has nice thick borders, too, if you don't mind the WinXP style buttons--I like them because they are easy to see and click, even if they aren't "modern": https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1078835/
2ndlooks looks like a nice theme. Thanks.
I am command line illiterate. :confused:

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Stevo » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:17 pm

Mauser wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:08 pm
Stevo wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:13 pm

2ndlooks looks like a nice theme. Thanks.
Just install ocs-url from our repo, and you should be able to install it for your user just by clicking the ocs install button on the web page, under files.

I've asked Tim to move the new Arc themes with thicker borders to main along with a new mx-greybird-themes package with bigger borders, so everyone using those will see fatter borders. 300% better, since 3 pixels wide beats 1 pixel wide by 300%!

I suppose I can also add the other Greybird variants from the other threads to that package, if someone can give me links to them here.

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by asqwerth » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:12 pm

Stevo wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:17 pm

I've asked Tim to move the new Arc themes with thicker borders to main along with a new mx-greybird-themes package with bigger borders, so everyone using those will see fatter borders. 300% better, since 3 pixels wide beats 1 pixel wide by 300%!

I suppose I can also add the other Greybird variants from the other threads to that package, if someone can give me links to them here.
I would request that rich's wm-only theme, called "borders" be packaged.

It can be called "Universal Thick Borders" or something. It's really a great cameleon theme for the xfce window manager in the modern flat numix style. Works with any gtk theme.

https://app.box.com/s/7gk3pwdn5onj5q5b9eowa2315qy8pcy3

This will also tie in with the wiki Jerry requested on window manager themes and resizing of windows, which is almost done.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

manyroads
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by manyroads » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:59 am

If you are looking for what I think are extremely well designed & built themes to learn from & tweak, I suggest anything this fellow ( VINCELIUICE )does. My personal favorite, because it works nicely with hdpi and low dpi screens, is Qogir.

https://www.xfce-look.org/p/1230631/

Edit: Here's the github 'stuff'
https://github.com/vinceliuice/Qogir-theme
"Don't believe everything you think."
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com - Reg. Linux User #449130
MX-18.3 kernel: 5.1.11-antix.1-amd64-smp
Dell Latitude E5470
Intel i5-6300U~ 24GB RAM ~ SSD: 1TB
Coding since 1974

oops
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by oops » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:11 am

asqwerth wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:12 pm
Stevo wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:17 pm

I would request that rich's wm-only theme, called "borders" be packaged.

It can be called "Universal Thick Borders" or something. It's really a great cameleon theme for the xfce window manager in the modern flat numix style. Works with any gtk theme.

https://app.box.com/s/7gk3pwdn5onj5q5b9eowa2315qy8pcy3

This will also tie in with the wiki Jerry requested on window manager themes and resizing of windows, which is almost done.
... Personally, I prefer the: Arc-Dark-MX-Borders (a great cameleon theme too)

From here:
viewtopic.php?p=480065#p480065
fehlix wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:18 pm
asqwerth wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:50 pm
Aha! It was the other rich!
Yes. Unfortunately his opendesktop link is no longer available, and I don't have his "sneaky camouflage" version that blends with Greybird.
I've downloaded from rich's link when he posted it here in the forum xfwm borders theme.
See attached tar-file.
Yes, it works great. Using the theme-switcher, @oops mentioned above, the thick borders change also nicely.
:puppy:
Yes, it works great here too. even with the theme-switcher (thanks Fehlix) with the Arc-Dark-MX-Borders.zip theme here into the $HOME/.themes/ directory.

(Also here for new users or remaster iso; /etc/skel/.themes/Arc-Dark-MX-Borders/xfwm4)
$ inxi -Fxxxz : System: Host:XEON ... Distro: MX-18_x64 Continuum

manyroads
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by manyroads » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:27 am

Another reason Qogir is a worthwhile them to review/ use is that I believe it already does most of what you are trying to accomplish with the border and as well as offering a small right-hand drag corner to enlarge/ resize Thunar as well as a few other windows.

The link again is... https://github.com/vinceliuice/Qogir-theme

Moderator: Please do not double post...you made your point above.
"Don't believe everything you think."
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com - Reg. Linux User #449130
MX-18.3 kernel: 5.1.11-antix.1-amd64-smp
Dell Latitude E5470
Intel i5-6300U~ 24GB RAM ~ SSD: 1TB
Coding since 1974

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Stevo » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:03 pm

OK--if the present Arc theme borders are still too small now after the update, I have a revision that doubles the thickness to about the same as the 2nd Looks one. I'll send it up if some with a non-hdpi screen still has trouble with theme. I just edited the svg file as a text file and found the border elements and changed them from "width="2"" to 4. Note that this did not help with the top border or the corner grab elements, which are more complex shapes where I could not just change the width--I may have to edit those in Inkscape later on, but I really have no idea what needs to be changed on those--they are just a few Tetris-like shapes in there.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Stevo » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:46 pm

manyroads wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:27 am
Another reason Qogir is a worthwhile them to review/ use is that I believe it already does most of what you are trying to accomplish with the border and as well as offering a small right-hand drag corner to enlarge/ resize Thunar as well as a few other windows.

The link again is... https://github.com/vinceliuice/Qogir-theme

Moderator: Please do not double post...you made your point above.
I tried installing a couple Qogir themes from https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1230631/ with ocs-url, but the window borders are still very thin with those. Where are you seeing the thick ones? I looked at what was installed, and the borders are still 1 pixel wide png elements.

Return to “Themes and Screenshots”