-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

[THEME] Cobalt Beetle : would you like to test my blues ?

Show us how you are setting up MX-14!
k_sz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

[THEME] Cobalt Beetle : would you like to test my blues ?

#1 Post by k_sz » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:50 am

Current state :
(more screenshots to come)
Last edited by k_sz on Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
> Desktop : AMD 64 bits (unknowned monocore model :P looking for an AM2+ 4cores Phenom) | RAM 4Go DDR2 | MX17.1@daily updates
> Laptop : Work In Progress, Celeron monocore | DDR2 | Probably antiX ^^

k_sz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: [THEME] Cobalt Beetle : would you like to test my blues ?

#2 Post by k_sz » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:52 am

Hi there,

I need your advice, if you don't mind.

Here is the thing : since i've discovered antech's beautyful work, i've been working on a global theme including the following versions thanks to a program called oomox :
  • xfce4
  • xfwm4
  • gtk2 (still not dead)
  • gtk3.2
  • qt5
  • Openbox
  • Metacity
  • Unity
resulting in 2 variants : a Materia-based and a Numix-based. But the direct output of oomox doesn't please me and i'm still working on modifying a few things like less shades, less glowing, different grey/blue variations.

At least one icons pack (probably composed thanks to ACYLS script) and a terminal theme could also be proposed to the community.

The current state of the art, in 2 screenshots (both running xfce4 Numix-based theme with the Materia-based xfwm4 (since you guys seem to enjoy window decorations and little [-] [o] [x] buttons :happy: ) :
  • the clean version (will be updated in the first post of this thread)
  • running xfce4-terminal, firefox, orage, spaceFM, Font Manager
  • bottom version
  • top version, running Geany, mpv (streaming my prefered radio station > https://phauneradio.com/ ) and notifier (top right) showing cores temp.
So, now the most important to me : is the way i'm building this theme compatible with MX ethic/license ?
If not, i will find another way to build this.
If yes :
  • are you interested to test this global theme ?
  • if yes : since it will be the first time i share such a thing, i'd need your advice on the easiest/most practical way for everybody :
    • upload to a provider (i got a 1fichier account, but i can switch to another one if needed)
    • upload to github (IMHO it's a bit early, i'd prefer to "alphatest" it before)
    • anything else you could think of :)
Have a nice day/night !
Last edited by k_sz on Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
> Desktop : AMD 64 bits (unknowned monocore model :P looking for an AM2+ 4cores Phenom) | RAM 4Go DDR2 | MX17.1@daily updates

richb
Administrator

#3 Post by richb » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:18 am

Yes I am interested in testing.

I am not familiar with 1fichier, If the bandwidth is acceptable and will not slow to a crawl with multiple hits that should be OK.

Others can comment on the license question, not my forte.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

k_sz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Post by k_sz » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:45 am

Thank you !
So, tonight i'll upload an archive containing the theme and its variations, and one with the icons, and i'll post the links in the first post. I'll post a few tricks too : eg. my panel is divided in 3 parts, to use 1 or 2 lines depending on the display zone.

1fichier uses to provide a bandwith which i find average : i often DL stuff at ~5 MB/s (UL @ ~2MB/s).

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by asqwerth » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:30 pm

Am I interested? Yup!

MX ethic/licence? There's one?!

See my blog post here: https://mxlinux.org/calling-all-artists ... tive-types :p

Just express your creative side for the enjoyment of the community and yourself. Check also the terms of this forum. If certain subject matter won't be allowed on this forum, the same type of subject matter applied on your wallpaper, themes or icons likely will not be something we want associated with MX.

Some common sense points about licence terms:

1. if you are modding an existing theme, e.g. using oomox to change the colours, you have to ascertain and respect the licence of the original work;

2. if it's a completely original theme that you're putting together using oomox (to be honest though, I'm not sure how oomox works), check the terms of use for oomox.
I'm guessing you will probably be able to set your own licence for your creation.
You could apply a similar Creative Commons licence as Antech, namely CC BY-SA :- requires attribution; permits modifications and commercial use provided these mods and/or commercial use are also distributed under the same license terms.

Some other notes:

MX is using gtk3.22, so a theme made to be work for gtk3.2 apps may not work or look good on MX's gtk3 apps.

I think the theme you are referring to is the Material theme: https://github.com/equinusocio/material-theme ,

which is not the same as the Materia theme: https://github.com/nana-4/materia-theme
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

k_sz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Post by k_sz » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:58 pm

Thanks for the feedback, asqwerth

about Material/Materia : according to oomox's github page (and graphical displays) it is nana's Materia indeed - plus Material beeing inactive/deprecated and actionless (oomox's dev) being active and fighting for keeping his work up-to-dated... (even answering to bug reports within the day, that can i testify).

About oomox's license : according to its repo, it's GPL 3.0 (but - am i becomed paranoid ? it does include a Red Hat warning - somewhere - no ? - :$)

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Post by Stevo » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:18 pm

My local library blocks 1fichier along with many other file-sharing (read pirate-booty-rich) sites. That can be worked around using the Tor Browser, but that's a pain. Maybe a more normal site for this type of thing would be github, deviantart, or even archive.org.

One of the GPL or Creative Commons licenses would be good.

k_sz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#8 Post by k_sz » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:47 pm

Okay.
(for smile's sake :

may i add that 1fichier could be considered as "normal" ? xD) (do you know any data host who isn't considerable as "pirate-blah" host, these days ?)
  • DevianArt : no way. I've deleted my account ~10 years ago. Won't come back. Pimps.
  • Archive.org : really ? I'm not ready to put my work in such a noble museum - and their servers certainly don't need an alpha version.
  • GitHub : not yet, as explained above.
Dropbox ?
About the license : i'll probably join the GPL 3.0 since i'm using both oomox and ACYLS.

k_sz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#9 Post by k_sz » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:26 pm

Stevo wrote:My local library blocks 1fichier along with many other file-sharing (read pirate-booty-rich) sites. That can be worked around using the Tor Browser, but that's a pain. Maybe a more normal site for this type of thing would be github, deviantart, or even archive.org.

One of the GPL or Creative Commons licenses would be good.
I'm not familiar with uploading stuff on archive.org :would this be OK ?
> https://archive.org/details/CobaltBeetleThemeNumix.tar

richb
Administrator

#10 Post by richb » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:51 pm

I installed the ACYLS icon set with its color configurator. That is the coolest thing, giving an infinite number of icon colors and being able to adjust not only color, but hue, saturation and a host of other color related items. Thanks for the tip.

https://github.com/worron/ACYLS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

Return to “Themes and Screenshots”