-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Got Scrollbar Steppers? (Greybird-mx17 Howto)

Show us how you are setting up MX-14!
calinb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Got Scrollbar Steppers? (Greybird-mx17 Howto)

#1 Post by calinb » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:44 pm

I love almost everything about the MX-17 default theme except for the lack of scrollbar backward and forward stepper buttons. (In fact, I like it so much that I downloaded the .deb file and installed the Greybird-mx17 theme on my MX-16 netbook.)

I don't always like to use touchpad scrolling, so I searched the forum here and elsewhere for a solution. I found the Gtk-3 (Firefox is Gtk-3, for example) solution but Gtk-2 (Thunar) was more elusive and no posting that I could find covered both Gtk-2 and Gtk-3 in a manner that met with success on MX-17.

Accordingly, here is my solution.

First Gtk-3:

Edit (using sudo and your favorite editor). I'm old school so I like vi from a terminal.

Code: Select all

sudo vi /usr/share/themes/Greybird-mx17/gtk-3.0/gtk-contained.css
Change lines 2462 and 2463 from "false" to "true." They should look like the following after you are done.

-GtkScrollbar-has-backward-stepper: true;
    -GtkScrollbar-has-forward-stepper: true; }
Then save. (You might want to make a backup of the file first, especially if you end up playing around with other settings to optimize your scrollbars and stepper buttons.)

Now launch the "Appearance" utility from the Whisker menu and switch to some other theme and back again to Greybird-mx17. Launch Firefox and you should see the forward and backward scroll arrow buttons above and below the scrollbar slider.

For Gtk-2:

This time edit /usr/share/themes/Greybird-mx17/gtk-2.0/gtkrc

sudo vi /usr/share/themes/Greybird-mx17/gtk-2.0/gtkrc
Change the '0' on lines 66 and 67 to a '1' and save.

GtkScrollbar            ::has-backward-stepper                  = 1
        GtkScrollbar            ::has-forward-stepper                   = 1
Now here's the Gtk-2 part that all the other postings missed. Go to line 430 and change thestepper-size from '0' to '13' to match the "GtkRange ::stepper-size" value, or try some other size.

GtkScrollbar::stepper-size      = 13
Now logoff and logon and launch Thunar. (A logoff appears to be necessary to update the Gtk-2 changes.) You should see the stepper button arrows in Thunar now too.

If you search both of the Gtk configuration files for "Scrollbar" and "stepper," you'll see many customization options in the surrounding code. Save backup files first, if you want to play around with them!

Hopefully the above relates the minimum changes required to enable the stepper buttons, because I wasn't too good about taking my own advice and saving backup files to "diff" later against my changes. :p Please let me know here if it works or doesn't work for you.

Update: I just noticed that Greybird-mx17 isn't completely compatible with MX-16 (panel notification area volume icon) so I selected the standard Greybird theme that ships with MX-16 and made the same edits to the following files to enable the stepper arrow buttons in Greybird with MX-16:

sudo vi /usr/share/themes/Greybird/gtk-3.0/gtk-widgets.css
sudo vi /usr/share/themes/Greybird/gtk-2.0/gtkrc
Last edited by calinb on Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calinb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Got Scrollbar Steppers? (Greybird-mx17 Howto)

#2 Post by calinb » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:12 pm

Skidoo was kind enough to remind me of the importance of having configuration file backups, because the customized file will be overwritten if/when an updated version of a theme's package is installed, Skidoo provided this blog page link too, which I had not found on my own:

http://twicetwo.com/blog/linux/gtk/them ... ation.html

I think it makes sense to have copies of the customized file in your /home/* directory. Personally, I don't think I would blindly restore them either, if an update wiped my active configuration file. I would diff my customized /home/* backup file copies against the new versions and merge any unrelated changes that make sense. I recall that many years ago I ran Gentoo Linux and the Gentoo emerge system would offer this option. I always looked at the diff between the files when the revised file was reported to be different from any of my customized files.

Return to “Themes and Screenshots”