-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

New Theme, tailored for MX-17

Show us how you are setting up MX-14!
asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: New Theme, tailored for MX-17

#21 Post by asqwerth » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:44 pm

Thanks, I'll try it tonight.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#22 Post by asqwerth » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:14 pm

Yup, the window buttons are fine now.

However, this time I tested the theme with MX's default Papirus icons, and found that the grey cursor highlights for the dropdown menu meant that the icons next to each menu entry could hardly be seen. So my preference would be for the dropdown menu highlight colour to be blue like the file item highlight, or at least a lighter shade of grey.
MX17-prodark_ver1-1.png
Also, perhaps there could be a slightly more defined outline around the tabs, to make them more visible. See the screenshot of MX-Tweak in my earlier post here: viewtopic.php?p=432673#p432673

In gtk2 (e.g. Thunar) or Qt (MX apps), there is no mouseover effect for the tab under the cursor, unlike in gtk3 apps where the tab "lights up". So the tabs as themed aren't as obvious when someone mouses over various elements in a gtk2/Qt interface.

Other than that, this is a nice, non-flashy and usable light theme.

Nice (ahem) PROfessional work.

[ADDED] hang on, also, I think the corners of the buttons may need some smoothing out.
MX17-prodark_ver1-1-buttons.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)

paulxfce
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#23 Post by paulxfce » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:41 pm

asqwerth wrote:Yup, the window buttons are fine now.

However, this time I tested the theme with MX's default Papirus icons, and found that the grey cursor highlights for the dropdown menu meant that the icons next to each menu entry could hardly be seen. So my preference would be for the dropdown menu highlight colour to be blue like the file item highlight, or at least a lighter shade of grey.

MX17-prodark_ver1-1.png

Also, perhaps there could be a slightly more defined outline around the tabs, to make them more visible. See the screenshot of MX-Tweak in my earlier post here: viewtopic.php?p=432673#p432673

In gtk2 (e.g. Thunar) or Qt (MX apps), there is no mouseover effect for the tab under the cursor, unlike in gtk3 apps where the tab "lights up". So the tabs as themed aren't as obvious when someone mouses over various elements in a gtk2/Qt interface.

Other than that, this is a nice, non-flashy and usable light theme.

Nice (ahem) PROfessional work.

[ADDED] hang on, also, I think the corners of the buttons may need some smoothing out.

MX17-prodark_ver1-1-buttons.png

Thanks for the extensive testing.

While I'm still updating (at gnomelook.org) the difference between MX-17 and Xubuntu 17.10 are such that I need to make 2 themes separately.

For the moment I'm trying to sort thing out for Xubuntu (no offense, I hope) .
For example:

Theming the XFCE-taskbar is really schizophrenic. While MX-17 sticks to GTK2 for Whisker and Taskbar, Xubuntu uses GTK2 for the tasbar, GTK3 for the WIFI-SOUND-applet, and GTK3 for the Whisker-menu.

Also, I found out that backporting a GTK3-theme to make it work on XFCE is not the right way to do it. Because (theming-wise) GTK3 allows more tinkering, than GTK2, you wind up throttling back the theme to such an extent, that it becomes a LADA, instead of the JAGUAR I intended.

Building a theme that works across GTK2,GTK3, QT and looks the same? You'd have to simplify allot. And you wind up getting something like the Arc-theme (no offense, it is a solid but very simple theme)

Perhaps, if I wait another year, XFCE might have finally completed the transition to GTK3, (along with its app's I mean), and heck Maybe even GTK2-apps would finally make the step to GTK3,... just in time for the gnome-developers to come -up with ... GTK 4...
MX-17 Horizon, Toshiba Sattelite, 500SSD, 16GB RAM,4 x Iintel(R)i3-2310M CPU @2.10GHz,
Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#24 Post by Stevo » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:43 pm

Well, it is possible to change the Whisker Menu to the GTK 3 2.X version, but I was afraid it would break other existing theming. The Whisker Menu has two different versions that are updated in parallel--we have the latest GTK 2 version, 1.7.5. It was just released recently. We could probably have the GTK 3 version in the test repo.

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#25 Post by asqwerth » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:13 am

paulxfce wrote: Thanks for the extensive testing.

While I'm still updating (at gnomelook.org) the difference between MX-17 and Xubuntu 17.10 are such that I need to make 2 themes separately.

For the moment I'm trying to sort thing out for Xubuntu (no offense, I hope) .
For example:

Theming the XFCE-taskbar is really schizophrenic. While MX-17 sticks to GTK2 for Whisker and Taskbar, Xubuntu uses GTK2 for the tasbar, GTK3 for the WIFI-SOUND-applet, and GTK3 for the Whisker-menu...

Perhaps, if I wait another year, XFCE might have finally completed the transition to GTK3, (along with its app's I mean), and heck Maybe even GTK2-apps would finally make the step to GTK3,... just in time for the gnome-developers to come -up with ... GTK 4...
No worries.

However, even after XFCE completes its transition to gtk3, fixed release distros still based on older gtk3 bases might not be able to make that transition yet. There will still be a period where different XFCE distros might have a different combo of gtk2 and gtk3 xfce elements in their distro.

For now though, your light theme is already pretty usable in MX17. Like I said before Arc (light) is too blinding white and the text too faint. Adapta (light) is even more bleached white and painful on the eyes.

Here's a screenshot of my desktop: https://imgur.com/KxeAwXU

Return to “Themes and Screenshots”