Welcome!
Important information
-- Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities
-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MX-17 Screenshots

Show us how you are setting up MX-14!
Message
Author
User avatar
Mauser
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 637
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:32 pm

Re: MX-17 Screenshots

#241 Post by Mauser » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:27 pm

Jerry3904 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:24 pm
Might want to look through the Users Manual sometime
I do but I could never understand Gibberish language of the command line.

User avatar
asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 3350
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:37 am

Re: MX-17 Screenshots

#242 Post by asqwerth » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:21 am

Mauser wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:27 pm
Jerry3904 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:24 pm
Might want to look through the Users Manual sometime
I do but I could never understand Gibberish language of the command line.
Sure, but there is some irony here because in this case you are trying to change/adjust the text output of your terminal - the very interface into which you type commands. You probably can't avoid at least some commands in this case.

Neofetch is a CLI program that will display certain system information if you run it from within a terminal (by using the "neofetch" command). It's not part of the terminal but a separate program which you can install.

It really can't hurt to read through that section of the manual and try to grasp at least some basic ideas or concepts. If you can't understand any part, you can always ask questions here.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

User avatar
Mauser
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 637
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:32 pm

Re: MX-17 Screenshots

#243 Post by Mauser » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:18 am

asqwerth wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:21 am
Mauser wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:27 pm
Jerry3904 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:24 pm
Might want to look through the Users Manual sometime
I do but I could never understand Gibberish language of the command line.
Sure, but there is some irony here because in this case you are trying to change/adjust the text output of your terminal - the very interface into which you type commands. You probably can't avoid at least some commands in this case.

Neofetch is a CLI program that will display certain system information if you run it from within a terminal (by using the "neofetch" command). It's not part of the terminal but a separate program which you can install.

It really can't hurt to read through that section of the manual and try to grasp at least some basic ideas or concepts. If you can't understand any part, you can always ask questions here.
Back in the early 1980's I couldn't understand the command line and it's 2018 now, I still don't understand it in the 40 some odd years of trying. That's why I ask questions here.

User avatar
Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 22480
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:13 am

Re: MX-17 Screenshots

#244 Post by Jerry3904 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:25 am

Right, but we weren't talking about the command line. We were talking about the fact that you didn't know how to see hidden files. That answer is in the Users Manual, and finding it requires simple keystrokes:

Alt-F1
Ctrl-F
hidden files

That lands you right on top of this:
Hidden files are out of sight by default, but can be made visible via the menu (View > Show Hidden Files) or by pressing Ctrl-H
Nothing difficult about finding the answer, and nothing scary about taking care of the problem.
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

mountain-ash
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:54 am

Re: MX-17 Screenshots

#245 Post by mountain-ash » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:00 am

Image

User avatar
dreamer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:34 am

Re: MX-17 Screenshots

#246 Post by dreamer » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:53 pm

Image

I continue my Windows fetish with Bubbles screensaver. It runs glitch-free, but screenshots don’t do it justice. The screenshot utility aborts the screensaver when taking the screenshot and that might be what causes the bubbles to appear distorted.

Background: I can probably find a link if someone is interested
Icons: Rosa icons from Rosa Linux
xfwm: X-Aero (modified)
GTK: TraditionalOk (modified)
Screensaver: Bubbles from Windows 8.1 x64 (uses Wine)

reykev
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:42 pm

Re: MX-17 Screenshots

#247 Post by reykev » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:55 pm

My second post on MX Linux Forums.

Again, it is just a screenshot of my improved desktop. Icons (Launchers) are sorted by category first and name second. First: Documents commonly used; then file managers (3) most Google services excepting Google +, then music sites opened with VLC including my favorite classical music folder on my system, then search (local files and web (4)), then social media (3), then video sites and finally a couple of weather sites.

I have added custom image files to most of them for easy recognition.

Prior to categorization of alphabetically sorted launchers I could still forget I had a link on my desktop. <:0 It seems I only have so many brain cells left and need all the help I can get. :)

I don't mind at all hitting a super key and typing in the first few letters of a program, but having most commonly used links right on my desktop is a very functional thing for me.

And custom images for the panel also, quick recognition. It use to be that the icons for Leafpad and Gedit, for example, looked exactly the same and I would forget which was which. Now a glance lets me know. No guessing or remembering. It works well for me, I've got a lot of room, and it's a great jumping off point for doing whatever I am into at that moment.

That's it. No be deal. But a very functional desktop for me.

And a question: What's the largest file (image) size I can upload?

Thanks again.

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1734
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:09 pm

Re: MX-17 Screenshots

#248 Post by fehlix » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:38 pm

reykev wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:55 pm
...
And a question: What's the largest file (image) size I can upload?
I think, it's about 300kB per image. You can squeeze images quite a lot by saving it to jpeg, e.g. from within Nomacs viewer.
It shrinks about 50% to 80% of png size.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

User avatar
richb
Administrator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:17 pm

Re: MX-17 Screenshots

#249 Post by richb » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:22 pm

fehlix wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:38 pm
reykev wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:55 pm
...
And a question: What's the largest file (image) size I can upload?
I think, it's about 300kB per image. You can squeeze images quite a lot by saving it to jpeg, e.g. from within Nomacs viewer.
It shrinks about 50% to 80% of png size.
300 KB is correct. You can also use an image hosting service and paste the BB code they post on their site. Just ensure it is a well known legitimate site. I use Imgur.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

reykev
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:42 pm

Re: MX-17 Screenshots

#250 Post by reykev » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:50 pm

fehlix wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:38 pm
reykev wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:55 pm
...
And a question: What's the largest file (image) size I can upload?
I think, it's about 300kB per image. You can squeeze images quite a lot by saving it to jpeg, e.g. from within Nomacs viewer.
It shrinks about 50% to 80% of png size.
Thank you fehlix!

Post Reply

Return to “Themes and Screenshots”