MX-17 Screenshots

Show us how you are setting up MX
dreamer

Re: MX-17 Screenshots

#321 Post by dreamer »

Mauser wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:44 pm
dreamer wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:00 pm Disclaimer: It's not what my normal desktop looks like. No GTK 3.22 support, only GTK 3.20 so GTK3 applications don't look completely right. And my desktop icons are drunk. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://github.com/B00merang-Project/Windows-10

Nice. :) I have those icons set up sometimes. Nice theming too.
Thanks. I personally don't like the look of Windows 10 a lot. Maybe it's clean and aesthetic in some way. I think it's too black or white, too much contrast. I like gradients, less saturated colors and more roundness. Some of the Windows 10 icons remind me a little of the Windows 95/98 era.

asqwerth wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:17 am
dreamer wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:44 pm I have been playing with KDE and Kvantum, but I think it's easier to get work done in Xfce so it will remain my main desktop.

Plasma: Glassified
Kvantum: KvGlassWhite...
Nice theming.

Not sure about the icons, though! ;) :p [clarification - elementary icons are generally nice, but I find their colours a little washed out. And these brown coloured folders (from the new Xubuntu?) are even more washed out than the blue ones]
Thank you. I got the icons from Elementary-Xfce on Github. Elementary project (the distro) has replaced their blue folder icons with these new "manila" colored folders. I like them, soft on the eyes. ;)

I've been enjoying playing with the blurring effect in KDE Neon (Plasma 5.14+). Very cool. Esp if you use a Kvantum theme with such effects as well. I use the darker version of this, KvGlass, since I like darker themes.

I also turned on blurring in Konsole for added effect.
Cool. KDE/QT is good for theming. And KDE developers don't see it as a problem. ;)

asqwerth
Developer

#322 Post by asqwerth »

Last night was "let's use colour-change scripts" day for me.

I ran the Any Colour You Like Simple (ACYLS) icon tool to generate the icon set in a orange-to-purple colour gradient and with a wood grain texture.

https://github.com/worron/ACYLS

The fallback icon set for missing icons was Sardi-Ghost-Flexible, and I used the provided colour-change script to get the deep pink colour (I tried paler, more orangey-pink tones but I didn't like them).

The gtk theme is Adapta Nokto, but which was generated directly (compiled) through its provided autogen.sh script.

Instructions here: https://github.com/adapta-project/adapta-gtk-theme

There are additional options you can tag on when compiling, in order to change the colour of certain elements. But it's a very involved and inconvenient way to get things done because the names for the set of 4 themes that get built (light and dark themes plus their respective Eta versions) remain the same and you then have to rename various files and symlinks within the 4 theme folders and the theme itself, if you want them to co-exist with the original theme.

Too much trouble, especially now that Adapta is no longer being developed in its original form. I did a few Adapta variants previously to try to emulate the original Flatplat look, but now I'd just use oomox with Materia as the base.

https://imgur.com/pUo5Uhy
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

richb
Administrator

#323 Post by richb »

If one likes a primarily unicolor look for icons ACYLS is a good choice with an easy to use tool to change colors.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

vamsi

#324 Post by vamsi »

To apply McOS-MJV-Dark-mode-1.1 dark theme tweaked the MX Linux and now strain on my eyes reduced

Theme: Sierra-compact-dark-solid
Theme: McOS-MJV-Dark-mode-1.1 [GTK2]
Icons: deepin [GTK2], breeze [GTK3]

tbuser48

Re: MX-17 Screenshots Plank Slingscold

#325 Post by tbuser48 »

Building a light as possible 386 PAE for Panasonic CF-U1. 1Gb-2GB ram. The "touchpad" on the U1 is the screen itself.

The liveUSB version of this is on an old 4Gb stick. Firefox wanted 16% of that so deleted firefox and tbird. Palemoon used 8% +-.

Here's a version I'm tinkering with using Toughbook CF-54. Getting use to having a dock so chose the stupidly simple one (Plank). Added Slingscold.

Top panel is normally hidden. I'm running it at 80% since muscle memory wants to go to the upper right corner to kill a page and that was turning on top panel. XFCE icon is upper left so the XFCE menu opens over there.

Cya.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

oops

#326 Post by oops »

herbie wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:44 pm Here's a sample of my SDDM login screen.
viewtopic.php?f=95&t=43492&p=460611&hilit=sddm#p460611
Nice, why the choice of SDDM, is it better than LIGHTDM by default for you?
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

KernSpy

#327 Post by KernSpy »

Spent hours messing around with style settings, themes, icons and so on. I really don't like bright / white screens as they tend to bother my eyes. I set everything I could to dark & darker. Long story short - I didn't like it. Everything was just to dark. It was hard to distinguish one window from another. Especially the tops of the windows. Going to start over and lighten everything up.

I have four panels .. The top panel being the main panel with the applications menu. Panel-2 on the left that acts like a dock for launching applications. Panel-3 at the bottom is emulation applications, games and so on. Panel-4 was supposed to be for launching web-links / web-shorcuts. If I drag a url from the address section to the bookmarks toolbar, I get a functional link plus the "icon" for whatever site. The icon also lands on the toolbar. If I drag the link to the desktop I get a link / launcher, but no icon. So, I assign icons to the links. Trouble is - If I make any changes to the style / icon theme, it tends to mess up or even break the assigned icons.

Will add another screenshot after I get things lightened up. The panels are usually hidden.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MX-19.2_x64 | System76 Galago UltraPro / Clevo W740SU | Intel Core i7-4770HQ | Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200 | 16 GB DDR3 | Intel 530 series mSATA SSD - 240-GB | WD7500BPKX - 750-GB | Intel HD Audio.

k_sz

Re: MX-17 Screenshots (TLDR; with double bonus :D)

#328 Post by k_sz »

male wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:45 am .../...
... Google is honestly hateable but its Images search engine is really performing !
Try it in the future with it: ;) https://www.tineye.com/
Great tip, thanks a lot !
But it hasn't found my wallpaper either : https://www.tineye.com/search/6100d1c25 ... f886d91cc/
Weird, because I dl'd it a few months ago and I kinda remember it was a post from 10 years ago at most.
asqwerth wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:48 am Welcome back, k_sz.
.../...
And I see you're still very much into the extreme dark look. ;-)

I also use tineye instead of Google image search.
Huhu. OK. Let's ignite the desk ! @xfce
  • wallpaper : Hex Fade / Blood Moon - several resolutions here :
    > https://www.reddit.com/r/wallpapers/com ... rs/dek41zp
  • glances + cmus + neofetch + curl cheat.sh @ maximized [Alt+F10] Terminator (home made color scheme, with monochrome bg #2A1400 @ transparency = 80% - I called it Early Autumn)
    Here is this theme for xfce4-terminal, located in ~/.local/share/xfce4/terminal/colorschemes :

Code: Select all

[Scheme]
    Name=Early_Autumn
    ColorBackground=#2A2A14140000
    ColorForeground=#f2f2e5e5d4d4
    TabActivityColor=#bfbf40404040
    ColorCursor=#f2f2e5e5d4d4
    ColorPalette=rgb(13,12,10);rgb(191,65,65);rgb(139,191,65);rgb(191,101,65);rgb(191,136,65);rgb(191,172,65);rgb(174,191,65);rgb(179,168,143);rgb(102,96,82);rgb(191,38,38);rgb(120,191,38);rgb(191,81,38);rgb(191,125,38);rgb(191,168,38);rgb(171,191,38);rgb(242,228,195)
    i also like opaque #373737 as background color for this one.
  • icons : still Dark, modified - i've tried every piece of the Sardi pack but the round icons' definition is really bad under 20 pixels except for the Sardi Ghost Flexible packs.
    > https://gitlab.com/sixsixfive/dark-icons
  • theme : Shades-of-Grey (soOo coOol and eyes-friendly for the avid (screen-)reader) #2A1400 @ transparency = 80% - i intend to modify it later by slightly tinting the greys
    > https://www.opendesktop.org/p/1244058
  • xfwm4 : Thinble, modified for thiner marging (1px is far enough :D)
    > original : https://www.deviantart.com/paldepind/ar ... -362276066
  • cursor : Bibata Ice
    > https://github.com/KaizIqbal/Bibata_Cursor
  • fonts :
In case someone would have a look at my .bashrc, .bash_aliases and how to get padding in terminal emulators :
.bashrc

#!/bin/bash
# ~/.bashrc: executed by bash(1) for non-login shells.
# see /usr/share/doc/bash/examples/startup-files (in the package bash-doc)
# for examples

# If not running interactively, don't do anything
case $- in
    *i*) ;;
      *) return;;
esac

# don't put duplicate lines or lines starting with space in the history.
# See bash(1) for more options
HISTCONTROL=ignoreboth
tac $HISTFILE | awk '!x[$0]++' | tac | sponge $HISTFILE

# append to the history file, don't overwrite it
shopt -s histappend

# for setting history length see HISTSIZE and HISTFILESIZE in bash(1)
HISTSIZE=5000
HISTFILESIZE=10000

# check the window size after each command and, if necessary,
# update the values of LINES and COLUMNS.
shopt -s checkwinsize

# If set, the pattern "**" used in a pathname expansion context will
# match all files and zero or more directories and subdirectories.
#shopt -s globstar

# make less more friendly for non-text input files, see lesspipe(1)
[ -x /usr/bin/lesspipe ] && eval "$(SHELL=/bin/sh lesspipe)"

# set variable identifying the chroot you work in (used in the prompt below)
if [ -z "${debian_chroot:-}" ] && [ -r /etc/debian_chroot ]; then
    debian_chroot=$(cat /etc/debian_chroot)
fi

############
# set a fancy prompt (non-color, unless we know we "want" color)
case "$TERM" in
    xterm-color) color_prompt=yes;;
esac

############
# uncomment for a colored prompt, if the terminal has the capability; turned
# off by default to not distract the user: the focus in a terminal window
# should be on the output of commands, not on the prompt
force_color_prompt=yes

if [ -n "$force_color_prompt" ]; then
    if [ -x /usr/bin/tput ] && tput setaf 1 >&/dev/null; then
	# We have color support; assume it's compliant with Ecma-48
	# (ISO/IEC-6429). (Lack of such support is extremely rare, and such
	# a case would tend to support setf rather than setaf.)
	color_prompt=yes
    else
	color_prompt=
    fi
fi
if [ "$color_prompt" = yes ]; then
    PS1='${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\e[37m\D{%d·%m·%y}|\t|\e[m\[\033[1;37m\]\u\[\033[00m\] : \[\033[1;32m\]\w\[\033[00m\]\n\[\e[0;32m\]\$\[\e[0m\] '
else
    PS1='${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\u@\h:\w\$ '
fi

# LES PAILLETTES
set color_prompt force_color_prompt

# If this is an xterm set the title to user@host:dir
case "$TERM" in
xterm*|rxvt*)
    PS1="\[\e]0;${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\u@\h: \w\a\]$PS1"
    ;;
*)
    ;;
esac

# enable color support of ls and also add handy aliases
if [ -x /usr/bin/dircolors ]; then
    test -r ~/.dircolors && eval "$(dircolors -b ~/.dircolors)" || eval "$(dircolors -b)"
    alias ls='ls --color=auto'
    alias dir='dir --color=auto'
    alias vdir='vdir --color=auto'

alias grep='grep --color=auto'
    alias fgrep='fgrep --color=auto'
    alias egrep='egrep --color=auto'
fi

# colored GCC warnings and errors
export GCC_COLORS='error=01;31:warning=01;35:note=01;36:caret=01;32:locus=01:quote=01'

# Alias definitions.
# You may want to put all your additions into a separate file like
# ~/.bash_aliases, instead of adding them here directly.
# See /usr/share/doc/bash-doc/examples in the bash-doc package.

if [ -f ~/.bash_aliases ]; then
    . ~/.bash_aliases
fi

# enable programmable completion features (you don't need to enable
# this, if it's already enabled in /etc/bash.bashrc and /etc/profile
# sources /etc/bash.bashrc).
if ! shopt -oq posix; then
  if [ -f /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion ]; then
    . /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion
  elif [ -f /etc/bash_completion ]; then
    . /etc/bash_completion
  fi
fi

# ################
# NEOFETCH
# if [ -f /usr/bin/neofetch ]; then neofetch; fi

##########
# HIGHLIGHT > sudo apt install highlit && highlight --list-scripts=themes => Pipe Highlight to less
# source : http://www.andre-simon.de/
export LESSOPEN="| $(which highlight) %s --out-format xterm256 --line-numbers --quiet --force --style xoria256"
export LESS=" -R"

##########
## Use highlight in place of cat > !! output error : highlight: Could not read input file:color_prompt
## alias cat="highlight $1 --out-format xterm256 --line-numbers --quiet --force -s solarized-light"

##########
# MANPAGES HIGHLIGHTS
man() {
    LESS_TERMCAP_md=$'\e[01;32m' \
    LESS_TERMCAP_me=$'\e[0m' \
    LESS_TERMCAP_se=$'\e[0m' \
    LESS_TERMCAP_so=$'\e[40;33m' \
    LESS_TERMCAP_ue=$'\e[0m' \
    LESS_TERMCAP_us=$'\e[01;36m' \
    command man "$@"
}

##########
# lns='ln -s' with prompt
# source : https://linuxfr.org/users/raphj/journaux/lns-ln-s-pour-les-etourdis
lns() {
        # lns: ln -s pour les étourdis, édition française Sous licence LPRAB (=Licence Publique Rien À Branler =WTFPL, french version ;)
if [ "$#" -ne 2 ]; then
                echo 'lns attend deux paramètres : le nom du lien $nomLien et l’objet ciblé $objectCible, dans n’importe quel ordre.'
                echo 'lns appelle ln -s $objectCible $nomLien.'
                echo 'L’objet ciblé doit exister et doit être un chemin absolu, sauf si vous savez ce que vous faites.'
else
  if [ -e "$1" ]; then
                cible=$1
                nomLien=$2
      elif [ -e "$2" ]; then
                cible=$2
                nomLien=$1
      else
                echo 'Aucun des arguments ne fait référence à un objet qui existe.'
                        return
  fi

ln -s "$cible" "$nomLien"
fi
}

##########
# INTRO
echo -e "\t"Salut $USER, nous sommes le "\033[1m`date +"%A %e %B %Y"`\033[0m" et il est : "\033[1m`date +"%H"` h `date +"%M"`\033[0m" "\n"

###########
# NOTES (We want it all and we want it NOW !)
# . ~/.bashrc to load the modified bashrc
#  QUOTE from
#
# To complement and contrast the two most popular answers, . ~/.bashrc and exec bash:
# Both solutions effectively reload ~/.bashrc, but there are differences:
#    . ~/.bashrc or source ~/.bashrc will preserve your current shell:
#       Except for the modifications that reloading ~/.bashrc into the current shell (sourcing) makes, the current shell and its state are preserved, which includes environment variables, shell variables, shell options, shell functions, and command history.
#       exec bash, or, more robustly, exec "$BASH"[1], will replace your current shell with a new instance, and therefore only preserve your current shell's environment variables (including ones you've defined ad-hoc).
#       In other words: Any ad-hoc changes to the current shell in terms of shell variables, shell functions, shell options, command history are lost.
#
# Depending on your needs, one or the other approach may be preferred.
#
# [1] exec bash could in theory execute a different bash executable than the one that started the current shell, if it happens to exist in a directory listed earlier in the $PATH. Since special variable $BASH always contains the full path of the executable that started the current shell, exec "$BASH" is guaranteed to use the same executable.

###########
# All hail igor Chubin !
#
. ~/.bash.d/cht.sh
.bash_aliases

#!/bin/bash

##########
# more is less
alias less='less -m -N -g -i -J --line-numbers --underline-special'
alias more='less'

##########
# some more ls aliases
alias ll='ls -l'
alias la='ls -A'
alias l='ls -CF'

##########
# ALIAS SUPPLÉMENTAIRES
alias vidram='sudo sysctl -w vm.drop_caches=3'
alias phaune='mpv http://stream.phauneradio.com/phaune_256'
alias mpvrand='mpv -vid=no --no-audio-display -shuffle --term-osd-bar --term-osd-bar-chars=▕▒█░▏'
alias rsync_test='rsync -rtvx --progress -l -s -n'
alias rsync_go='rsync -rtvx --progress -l -s'
alias nano='nano -ASl'
alias zik='ncmpcpp'
alias météo='curl -H "Accept-Language: fr" wttr.in/whereilive:P'
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Padding in terminal emulators :
Before
After
It works for emulators like xfce4-terminal and Terminator but not for rxvt-like ones which might be customized differently.

Add the following lines to ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css (create gtk.css if it doesn't exist) :

VteTerminal, vte-terminal {
        padding: 10px;
}
You can exchange 10px for other values, and even choose em instead of pixels as unit so the padding will vary with your monospaced font :

VteTerminal, vte-terminal {
        padding: 1em 1.5em 1.5em 2em;
}
oooooooooooooo Bonus l ooooooooooooooo
How to move and resize a window with no borders nor title bar : E.Z. ! use [Alt+F7] to move it with your mouse, [Alt+F8] to resize.
oooooooooooooo Bonus II :P Grey MX forums ooooooooooooooo
Full grey version, with a maximized Palemoon & its fabulous Compact Moon and Advanced Night Mode add-ons :

\o/ All Hail Greyz ! \o/

And All Hail Igor Chubin and his Cheat.sh > https://github.com/chubin/cheat.sh

Cya in a few weeks for another TLDR;ed screenshot o/
> Desktop : AMD 64 bits (unknowned monocore model :P looking for an AM2+ 4cores Phenom) | RAM 4Go DDR2 | MX@daily updates, sudo apt dist-upgrade
> Laptop x2 : WIP obsolescence and "old" batteries prices have killed my project

clicktician

Re: MX-17 Screenshots (TLDR; with double bonus :D)

#329 Post by clicktician »

k_sz wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:02 am [*]xfwm4 : Thinble, modified for thiner marging (1px is far enough :D)
> original : https://www.deviantart.com/paldepind/ar ... -362276066
Really loving this.
Son, someday all this will belong to your ex wife.

piperdan

#330 Post by piperdan »

Sorry for the silly question, but I've never done it. What is the best way to post a screenshot here on the forum?

Return to “Themes and Screenshots”