Welcome!

Please read this important information about Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.
Please read this important information about MX sources lists.

News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17.1 Final release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
New users
  • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
  • Read Forum Rules

vertical panel with a Close button

Show us how you are setting up MX-14!
eugen-b
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

vertical panel with a Close button

#1 Postby eugen-b » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:11 pm

My first active Linux experience was with Manjaro Netbook Edition. From there I started to like the idea of a button which closes nay currently active window. The design of a vertical panel I liked from my Windows 7 time. When I first booted MX-14 I didn't know what it looks like and was a bit delighted to see a vertical panel. It is not a big issue to adjust the panel in Xcfe. (It is a bit of an issue in LXDE and not possible with default MATE window buttons.) But it was nice to find a developer who thinks like me.
I'll post here my desktop experiments. Here is a link to antiX forum with my previous screenshots: http://antix.freeforums.org/mx-14-with- ... t5883.html
The following screenshot is from wattOS LXDE, but I swapped the LXDE panel to Xfce panel, I also chose Whisker menu, although I like classic applications menu better, but I couldnt achieve to make its icons larger. It worked on MX-14, on LXLE, on Manajro LXDE, nut not on wattOS with neither panels.
I would like to be able to make the Whisker Menu dark like the panel, but this would lead to windows becoming dark, too ...
MX-14 on a Via Eden 1GHz CPU thin client, 3GB RAM, Via VX800 chipset, Via Chrome9 HC GPU, 32GB M.2 SSD;
btrfs with @ and @home subvolumes for MX-14;
added @antiX and @antiXhome subvolumes and copied antix 13.1 base into them, adjusting Grub from MX-14.

eugen-b
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: vertical panel with a Close button

#2 Postby eugen-b » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:07 pm

And here comes my MATE.

I would pretty much like to give it a vertical panel, too. But then I would have to change the window buttons, because there is no option in MATE to make them without text. I found this: https://github.com/robint99/dock-applet
Will I need to compile it, or is it woth to risk to install from Ubuntu PPA? I would make a snapshot before.
I already made a bad experience with DockbarX plugin on MX-14. It simply didn't work. It was from an archive on Sourceforge, "Debian unofficial" as far as I remember...
MX-14 on a Via Eden 1GHz CPU thin client, 3GB RAM, Via VX800 chipset, Via Chrome9 HC GPU, 32GB M.2 SSD;
added @antiX and @antiXhome subvolumes and copied antix 13.1 base into them, adjusting Grub from MX-14.

eugen-b
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Postby eugen-b » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:40 pm

I changed my MATE desktop a little bit, got the panel vertical. It looks better than LXDE panel, but worse than Xfce panel in this setup.
I was able to compile mate-dock-applet, but it doesn't work. It is shown in the list of panel applets, but won't add to it when pressing add button.
Adding Ubintu repo just to test showed me that there are dependencies which cannot be resolved.
Same was the case for DockbarX MATE applet from Ubuntu repo.
I guess DEBIAN is actually an acronym for "DEBIAn is Not ubuntu." ;)
So I had to accept the behaviour or MATE window list.
The icons (theme called Delta) behave badly, maybe because they are not scalable, so the are either 32x32 (too small) or 48x48 (too large).

I think, I'm gonna instal compton, because I don't like marco. On LXDE it looks pretty good, so a screenshot from there will come soon...

eugen-b
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Postby eugen-b » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:22 pm

Who knows what that is? :cool:

eugen-b
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#5 Postby eugen-b » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:23 pm

MX - Netbook Edition

eugen-b
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Postby eugen-b » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:07 pm

I played a bit with antiX Fluxbox yesterday, a screenshot is on antiX Forum: http://antix.freeforums.org/post43550.html#p43550
But, sorry, Fluxbox is a bit too difficult for me and its developers and I must have different opinions about what a desktop - especially a panel - should be able to look like.
So, in order not to have double administration effort I chose not to install Openbox on antiX, but rather add it to my MX-14 system as an additional session. With masalla icons and Numix (what else?) theme it looks like this:

It is still not ready because I want to add icons to menu entries, but this is a manual task and will take quite long.
I chose masalla theme because it has .svg and .png icons. PNG icons I will use for the menu entries, because I saw only such examples.
By the way, does anybody know whether after removing svg icons from an icon theme the command gtk-update-icon-cache will run without an error? (Given there aren't any other error sources.)

eugen-b
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#7 Postby eugen-b » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:03 am

I added a conky to my Openbox.

eugen-b
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#8 Postby eugen-b » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:49 am

Added icons to Openbox menu.

As I expected SVG icons won't be displayed, only PNG. They also don't get displayed bigger if I use 48x48 icons, but the quality improves slighly (perhaps in my imagination). I'm attaching all my config files.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

eugen-b
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#9 Postby eugen-b » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:51 am

and the files from ~/.config/openbox/
The files are renamed and XML header commented out, originally they are
~/.config/openbox/rc.xml
~/.config/openbox/menu.xml
The others are
~/.config/openbox/autostart
~/.conkyrc
~/.config/tint2/tint2rc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

eugen-b
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#10 Postby eugen-b » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:53 am

I retried to install the new lxpanel from Jessie on my wattOS LXDE and this time it worked somehow. I took the repo syntax from MX (or antiX), changed Synaptic settings (not to treat suggestions as dependencies) and installed lxpanel only with 90MB of dependencies. :bawling:
By the way I also managed to enlarge menu icons: my ~/.gtkrc-2.0 was wrong, the include line seems to only work this way:
include "/home/eugen/.gtkrc-2.0.mine"

However I got a new problem, Evince now has no window decoration when opened as user. It looks ok (as good as it gets, gtk3 ugly) when opened as root.

I also managed to reboot, because xorg block hasn't been upgraded. I'll try to add other LXDE stuff from Jessie.

Return to “Themes and Screenshots”