Welcome!

Please read this important information about Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.
Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17 Final release info here
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
    New users
    • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
    • Read Forum Rules

vertical panel with a Close button

Show us how you are setting up MX-14!
eugen-b
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: vertical panel with a Close button

#11 Postby eugen-b » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:10 pm

Back to Openbox topic. After some unsucessful attempts with an antiX 13 core install of Openbox, I decided to install a ready-made Openbox distro. wattOS R8 microwatt was the only stable with not too many (now outdated) custom scripts an packages. But you know already I like masalla icon theme and I wanted to test an Openbox menu generator.

For obmenu-generator there were some easy guides like this: http://saleem-khan.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... r-for.html which I followed to compile some Perl and to create a .deb package for obmenu-generator. It worked, I prefer the static menu, which creates a menu.xml file with icon references for each entry like I did manually before. But the entries don't always make sense, some refer to programms which are not installed, but not much hassle to edit some corrections manually.
You might ask yourself, why another Openbox install when I already have got an Openbox session on MX-14? Well, at least I see a noticable improvement in system responsiveness, even on a CF card it is faster than the other Openbox session. Perhaps turning on Cmpton will slow it down again.
MX-14 on a Via Eden 1GHz CPU thin client, 3GB RAM, Via VX800 chipset, Via Chrome9 HC GPU, 32GB M.2 SSD;
btrfs with @ and @home subvolumes for MX-14;
added @antiX and @antiXhome subvolumes and copied antix 13.1 base into them, adjusting Grub from MX-14.

eugen-b
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#12 Postby eugen-b » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:39 pm

Got obmenu-generator built and installed on MX-14. It wasn't straightforward, because I had to remove a link to a man file. I also needed to install lxappearance, because obmenu-generator doesn't recognize the icon theme set by xfce4-settings. I find the Openbox session on MX-14 actually more usable (with all the programs) than on wattOS microwatt. It also doesn't have the mouse cursor lags which are annoying me on the cloned subvolume. It doesn't even have a higher memory footprint. A screenshot will follow in some time.
MX-14 on a Via Eden 1GHz CPU thin client, 3GB RAM, Via VX800 chipset, Via Chrome9 HC GPU, 32GB M.2 SSD;
added @antiX and @antiXhome subvolumes and copied antix 13.1 base into them, adjusting Grub from MX-14.

eugen-b
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#13 Postby eugen-b » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:23 am

I achieved the same DE result with 65-75MB RAM on antiX 13.1 base: http://antix.freeforums.org/post44049.html#p44049

eugen-b
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#14 Postby eugen-b » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:07 am

Here comes the new antiX-16-alpha1 with some tweaks applied

I will attach my configs a little bit later. The most interesting trick was that I found out that masalla icon theme works with antiX JWM version if you delete all the scalable folders. Then the menu update won't use svg icons, but will find the right png icons.

Vertical panel works, but the tasklist doesn't work properly, pictures representing open windows stay there even after the windows get closed or the workspace switched.

Return to “Themes and Screenshots”