thoughts and questions re: 18 and the new 19...

winemaker

thoughts and questions re: 18 and the new 19...

#1 Post by winemaker »

new here to forums and mx. love it though from my initial experience. one thing - maybe complaint and idea for future versions is:

i see stuff turned on - and i hate the stuff on and now am stuck trying to figure out how to shut it off. i may be in the minority but as an old fart i know what i like and how i want things to work for my efficient use of an os. an example: the best i can describe it - on trackpad or mouse - trying to recall specifics but... i have a few windows open or tabs maybe... i put move my cursor across them trying to do something or get somewhere and the various things open and close and flicker and i hate that action/stuff. a couple of other similar scenarios. i know - now i have to figure out or ask how to get these various situations to turn off. like that conky stuff on the desktop which i figured out the hard way. i realize that if it were off then you would have people asking how to turn them on. view this as an opt in as opposed to opt out .... i would rather be out and opt in as i need to. this seems revers. maybe 75% of people like all of these fancy things - but out of my habit and work flow and the research to figure out how to get this stuff turned off or even get a negative remark when asking here - you see where i am going. other than these issues i am so far most pleased. my thought is have them off by default and have people turn on what they need. the games and misc apps i do not need i realize i have to delete them. just clutter to me and my system. but i deal with it.... but the actual working dynamics i have to try to figure out what is causing them and then where they are located to shut it off; that is very tough for someone new to mx. neophytes, eh!

turtlebay777

Re: thoughts and questions re: 18 and the new 19...

#2 Post by turtlebay777 »

Welcome to MX and the friendly forums. I had that problem so you aren't alone. Open File Manager and along the top look for Edit, click that then select Preferences so you'll get a new sub-screen called File Manager Preferences. On the top line look for Behaviour and click that, and select 'Double click to activate items'.

No one operating system will ever suit everybody from the word 'Go', and the set up of MX is merely one which makes it work straight-out-of-the-box for most people.

winemaker

#3 Post by winemaker »

no that does not solve it - i want single click. what i was saying is that scrolling by just seemed to open them all and close once it leaves ds o the scrolling to open is what is not needed.

thanks for the welcome.

sorry - just hate double clicking on stuff if i do not need to.

:-))))

winemaker

#4 Post by winemaker »

ps. will have a look see in there as you suggest. ok been there done that - thought there was more i can do to shut the stuff off. thank you.

manyroads

#5 Post by manyroads »

:welcome: Speaking of old farts who get easily irritated... I'm one too. Please use upper & lower case... pretty please.... :eek: :bagoverhead:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

srq2625

#6 Post by srq2625 »

Are you using the scroll wheel on you mouse while the mouse pointer is on an area of the screen NOT filled with a window? If so, what you are seeing is the OS cycling through workspaces (2 by default).

If that is what is happening, I don't know how to turn that "feature" off. Maybe someone here will know.
AsusTek PRIME B450-Plus
AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8-Core, 16 threads)
Radeon HD 6570/7570/8550 / R5 230
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 - driver: r8169
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
DDR4 3200MHz CL16 2x8GB

fehlix
Developer

#7 Post by fehlix »

winemaker wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:05 pm - on trackpad or mouse - trying to recall specifics but... i have a few windows open or tabs maybe... i put move my cursor across them trying to do something or get somewhere and the various things open and close and flicker and i hate that action/stuff.
I might guess, perhaps you mean this special feature "use mouse wheel on title bar to roll up window".
If that what it is, you can turn it off with Settings -> Window Manager Tweaks -> Accessibility.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

winemaker

#8 Post by winemaker »

no i get the roll up the window and like it. never use a scroll wheel for that function. also I do not use caps due to serious arthritis thoughout my entire body. 2 finger pecking at present is even too much for me. seriously. sorry. just think of me as a coder. they never use caps.

ha ha ha

uncle mark

#9 Post by uncle mark »

winemaker wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:58 pm no i get the roll up the window and like it. never use a scroll wheel for that function. also I do not use caps due to serious arthritis thoughout my entire body. 2 finger pecking at present is even too much for me. seriously. sorry. just think of me as a coder. they never use caps.
Maybe drink some of that wine you've been making.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

winemaker

#10 Post by winemaker »

tried it - doesn't work. then i see 2 of everything - just compounds the issue.

Return to “General”